Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

New ghetto camera mount.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
retired moderator

New ghetto camera mount.

...so since I'm low on money for "real" mods, decided to make a new camera mount, giving me the option of using several mounting locations. The primary locations are outside the passenger rear window, and about a foot back between the seats. Also has some other mounting points that I might use too.

Made of aluminum tubing and random hardware. I also filled it with foam to reduce vibrations. It's not pretty, but it's strong as hell, only weighs about 2 pounds, and does the job! So...here it is:

It attaches to the passenger headrest. Here's how....in this pic all the bolts are not tightened up yet

One one side I have a diagonal arm that has three mount points. In this pic the ball mount isn't fitted, but you can see where the camera will go, roughly

The best part is the arm that comes out the window, for some "side of car" shots. It's somewhat adjustable, and the door can be opened without hitting the camera mount, provided the passenger seat is far back

I think it will capture a cool angle of the front wheel and course when autocrossing and road racing
Old 06-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Black Maxima

Yo, that's HOT. I like the out of the window action. Mine only goes between the two seats.

Old 06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
retired moderator

yeah, the one I've been using is the same as yours probably...works fine, but I had some spare materials so figured I'd mess around....Really I'd like to get a few of the small remote lenses and put them in various places and wire them all to my laptop, but that's a major expense I can't justify at the moment!

Old 07-12-2005, 06:51 AM

Damn, thing goes outside the window of that car? That's kick ***.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
retired moderator

used it this weekend....though I cut the arm a bit shorter so it did'nt stick out so far. Worked well...camera didn't go flying off anywhere

a little more vibration than I would like, but I have a plan to reduce that for the next time....
Old 07-12-2005, 07:00 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by irish44j
used it this weekend....though I cut the arm a bit shorter so it did'nt stick out so far. Worked well...camera didn't go flying off anywhere

a little more vibration than I would like, but I have a plan to reduce that for the next time....
Is the video good enough to put on the web?
I am thinking about making something for this upcoming weekend, where did you get the mount for the camera? I am guessing everything else came from Home Depot (per avatar)
Old 07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
Is the video good enough to put on the web?
I am thinking about making something for this upcoming weekend, where did you get the mount for the camera? I am guessing everything else came from Home Depot (per avatar)
At that meet I got video from between the seats, outside the window (aim was poor though, so it's kind of wierd), and from the hill above the course...had two cameras with me.

Video is actually pretty good aside from some minor vibration, but I have no way to host it. Haven't edited it yet, but I think it would be at least 1 meg if not more.....if anyone has a way to host it, I will put it together and send it to you!

I got the ball mount from org member Requin6 (Paul) who also runs CDC in Maryland. I think he has alot of them. shoot him a pm.

The rest of the mount was made from Aluminum square tubing, filled with foam, and some creative bracing for the seat. All materials came from (you guessed it) Home Depot. So much more fun to build a $25 mount than to buy a nice suction mount for $100+
Old 07-15-2005, 06:52 PM
99 SE-L

Damn josh must of mounted that camera very well for it too stay in place at those speeds and turns nice job man

Old 07-15-2005, 07:41 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 99 SE-L
Damn josh must of mounted that camera very well for it too stay in place at those speeds and turns nice job man
it's amazing what you can learn in engineering school
Old 07-15-2005, 08:38 PM
maxima no more

was that in statics or dynamics?...I must have missed the class on camera mounts...
Old 07-17-2005, 06:58 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SkinnyMax
was that in statics or dynamics?...I must have missed the class on camera mounts...
that was in "How to Make Ghetto Things from Random Parts at Home Depot 101"
Old 07-18-2005, 08:52 AM

Let me STRONGLY suggest that you (and everybody else) incorporate a safety strap into the design.

This is either already mandated by SCCA or about to be, since without a secondary means of holding it captive, a single failure of the ball/stud/screw/whatever will result in the camera becoming a loose projectile flying about the interior/into the driver/under the pedals/etc.

You'll need something more to get it through tech.

Norm
Old 07-18-2005, 09:40 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Let me STRONGLY suggest that you (and everybody else) incorporate a safety strap into the design.

This is either already mandated by SCCA or about to be, since without a secondary means of holding it captive, a single failure of the ball/stud/screw/whatever will result in the camera becoming a loose projectile flying about the interior/into the driver/under the pedals/etc.

Norm
Norm,
are you the guy I've seen at the various phillyscca auto-x's? If you are that guy ripping around in that old Chevy, I've always enjoyed watching the faces of confusion of people in sports cars as to how you beat them.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:30 AM

Guilty.

But the real fun in shaking up preconceived notions came the first times I went to a NNJR event at E-town and an SJR event at Atco and the dragstrips were running as well ("Are you sure that you're in the right place? The pits for the dragstrip are over there . . . (pointing)").

This year I've kept the Chevy's CP number (85), but for a number of reasons have been running in STS in the gold Mazda 626 (with rather less success).

Norm
Old 07-18-2005, 01:35 PM
this place is dead

Guilty.

But the real fun in shaking up preconceived notions came the first times I went to a NNJR event at E-town and an SJR event at Atco and the dragstrips were running as well ("Are you sure that you're in the right place? The pits for the dragstrip are over there . . . (pointing)").

This year I've kept the Chevy's CP number (85), but for a number of reasons have been running in STS in the gold Mazda 626 (with rather less success).

Norm
You planning on gunning the Maxima through a auto-x or 2? I am trying to get Irish to go next time we're at Ripken, so I won't be the only Max at the meet. Irish will more than likely kill me with the various suspension mods he has, but it would be nice to compare none-the-less.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:36 PM
retired moderator

Norm
Good point Norm....

I do, however, have a double safety strap setup, attached to the camera, bracket, and car itself.....just didn't put it on in those pics....

not real interested in my cameras going flying across a parking lot!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:38 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
You planning on gunning the Maxima through a auto-x or 2? I am trying to get Irish to go next time we're at Ripken, so I won't be the only Max at the meet. Irish will more than likely kill me with the various suspension mods he has, but it would be nice to compare none-the-less.
Let me know bro....none of that "kill you" stuff....it's all about the course and the driver when we're both over 3000lbs!

also, I have one distinct disadvantage: my autocross wheels double as my winter wheels...17x8 g35 coupe wheels weighing in at 24lbs each....can't go smaller, won't clear my front brakes. can't get a lighter set, wife won't let me have 3 sets of rims@! Also, the stage 2 LTB puts me up into STX, where I can really get my butt kicked.

Ripken Stadium I could do.....Philly is a bit of a hike!

btw, do they ever use the old airfiled on the old Philly Naval Base for racing? I lived right next to the airfield as a Navy kid, and remember it as being pretty darn big...
Old 07-18-2005, 07:31 PM

This year in addition to Ripken we're using Boeing (a couple of exits south of the Philly airport) and Northampton Community College (up near Nazareth). And we had a one-shot event at another site (hope we get to go back there).

www.phillyscca.com for the Philly Region schedule or www.autox4u.com for a far more complete listing of events in the region. I know that Autocrossers, Inc also runs at Ripken.

Norm
Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 AM
this place is dead

Let me know bro....none of that "kill you" stuff....it's all about the course and the driver when we're both over 3000lbs! ...
It was a figurative term, no fast and furious types in this thread.

also, I have one distinct disadvantage: my autocross wheels double as my winter wheels...17x8 g35 coupe wheels weighing in at 24lbs each....can't go smaller, won't clear my front brakes. can't get a lighter set, wife won't let me have 3 sets of rims@! Also, the stage 2 LTB puts me up into STX, where I can really get my butt kicked.
Well I feel your pain, I'm still technically in GS, so Mini S's eat my lunch every time, especially when I haven't got R-compounds
Ripken Stadium I could do.....Philly is a bit of a hike!
that's what I expected, the next time we're at Ripken is Oct 16th, if I can go I'll send a friendly reminder.
btw, do they ever use the old airfiled on the old Philly Naval Base for racing? I lived right next to the airfield as a Navy kid, and remember it as being pretty darn big...
I have thought the same thing, and any one of the philly stadium parking lots would be great too, quasi elevation changes too.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:23 AM

I think that inquiries have been made regarding the stadium lots, just that those places want outrageous lot rental fees. Well over what 100 entry fees would cover, as a hint.

Norm
Old 07-19-2005, 06:46 AM
this place is dead

I think that inquiries have been made regarding the stadium lots, just that those places want outrageous lot rental fees. Well over what 100 entry fees would cover, as a hint.

Norm
I guess if they have 75 people show up for just the morning heat like sometimes happens at Ripken, that might work out. Actually someone should find out how much NASA pays for the Giants stadium parking lot and use that as leverage for negotiation the fees in philly. I know most of their event turnouts are not as big as at Ripken or Boeing.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 AM

Don't forget things like sanction fees and insurance . . .
Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Bump, I want to make this when I have the time. Does anyone have anything similar to Irish's mount, or even in the video below? Pics of your mount and instructions would be awesome

Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM
retired moderator

honestly, just get a GoPro. $199, better vid, can mount it anywhere. That headrest mount had so much vibration, as do most of the improv'd mounts IMO.

awesome that you dug up this old thread though!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM

My iGoPro/BulletHD mount from eBay

Bought it from eBay, less than 6 bucks for the mount and the ipod case, trimmed it, glued it and walla!! HD video from the ipod plus a nice mount for those times when I want to listen to music (I have an ipod adapter for the radio) mostly use it in the MSM but in the max could be used anywhere inside and out.

A few weeks back I bought a BulletHD and made my own mount for it as well so I can mount the ipod or the BulletHD on the same mount and record from any angle I want. I still need to take pictures of the BulletHD mount, it does not look pretty (I used a white broom as raw material) but works perfectly. I still want to fab one of those for the headrest seat though...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:48 PM

Wow silver, the capture on both is spectacular
Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM

Thanks, that is just the ipod. I still have to test the BulletHD capture on the car. I would post a vid once I do. I am currently away from home but have the camera with me so, we'll see.

The problem with the ipod is the weather and the mic when using it outside, it catches only wind noise and I drove over a puddle once during autox-no good, luckily nothing happened to the ipod but I didnt wanna risk it anymore.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM

Looks like it should keep the camera pretty steady nice.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:43 AM

It is actually better than I thought, with the Bullet it seem to be a bit too stiff...
Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Conecarver

BulletHD huh? Nice. So much easier than a regular bullet cam and external PVR. You can mount it in a wheelwell, under the car, next to a shock, etc..
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
retired moderator

wow, thread back from the dead.

I'm currently using a pair of GoPro2's on the rallycross car. I need to rig up an external mic for sound still, but I've been pleased with the vid quality and stability, especially considering how much mud, dirt, and extreme vibrations a rallycross car's camera gets.

ex (not in HD, since RaceRender wasn't working well, but even in non-HD pretty smooth)

Last edited by irish44j; 07-23-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM
retired moderator

here's one in 720p

Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 AM

Odd. First video "does not exist".

Back from the dead indeed.

Norm
Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 AM
Conecarver

What happened at :49s? Just lost traction on the front tires?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:49 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
What happened at :49s? Just lost traction on the front tires?
lol....this was on my first run and I basically just forgot about the gate. Jammed the brakes and locked up all four at the last second (front wheels were cocked right, but just sliding). Just wanted to make sure to actually hit the cones so no off-course penalty.

Rallycross = all the runs combined count, so you don't want an off-course since it pretty much means you will NOT win that day. You can't just have a throwaway run like autocross.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:57 PM
retired moderator

ok, fixed the first vid I think.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 AM

Yup, fixed, thanks.

That course reminds me of a very unofficial section our small club used to insert into an annual SCCA time-speed-distance rallye back in the 1970's (we weren't SCCA, kind of did it as "subcontractors"). Ask any of the older members in your region if they remember "Fastest through the Forest" on the Colonial Trail rallyes.

Norm
Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
this place is dead

Norm tell me you're still running that old Chevy.

Moved back into phillyscca territory, but haven't had a chance to get out to anything

And wow, bumping a thread from '05, hilarious
Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM
this place is dead

and bring back the homedepot avatar!!!!!!

you know to whom I'm talking
Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
BulletHD huh? Nice. So much easier than a regular bullet cam and external PVR. You can mount it in a wheelwell, under the car, next to a shock, etc..
Back from the dead again lol, I havent had a chance to record anything at all, still away from home but I may record something even if it is regular city driving (you tell me if it could be compared to autox, over here you have to avoid cars and specially motorcycles instead of cones, but if you hit one the penalty is more than 2 seconds! lol)

As for mounting the camera in the wheelwell or something, I dont have a reliable mount easy to "mount" or attach to the car, I could work on that maybe.

Quick Reply: New ghetto camera mount.