Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Track Day Video - Gopro + front splitter

Old 03-28-2015, 02:10 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Track Day Video - Gopro + front splitter

Figure it is the start of the track season up here. Hoping to get a day or two in this Summer.

Anyways I had this video from June 2013 at Lime Rock. Finally got around to uploading it on You tube while retaining some decent resolution, still not as good as the original file (1080p).

Mounted a GoPro on the 2J Racing front splitter. Running in intermediate group for a couple of afternoon sessions this was the 2nd one of the day. This was "testing" the reworked Fastbrakes rear BBK , Running Yoko Neova AD08 tires, Carbotech XP8s on all 4 corners, and puttering around the track.

Still some time to shave off the last corner (notorious for wrecks, right after the bridge) before the front straight and the first turn I need to get it together, but not bad for street tires. I could feel the limitation of the front suspension with street tires (camber going positive with bad under steer), not something I could feel with the NT01 track tires.

Last session I went four off and almost wrecked the car shortly after the uphill from No Name Straight. Picked up about two pounds of dirt in the splitter and front bumper. Sadly the battery on the Gopro died at the beginning of that session. Would of been great to see what I did wrong on that one.

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 03-28-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I know I shouldn't be surprised at some of the cars you passed, but I am. Your car really has great grip and power. You get pretty aggressive when you can. Some of those guys looked like they were out for a Sunday drive!

What suspension are you on, still a crazy custom Koni/GC?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by JSutter
I know I shouldn't be surprised at some of the cars you passed, but I am. Your car really has great grip and power. You get pretty aggressive when you can. Some of those guys looked like they were out for a Sunday drive!

What suspension are you on, still a crazy custom Koni/GC?
Thanks. This car gets a lot of attention on track days, Porsche/BMW people probably questioning my sanity on the choice of car. I think my best was a 1:05~1:06 on the last session after adjusting tire pressures and pushing the car where I felt comfortable.

The HPDEs are a mixed bag, some people take it easy and some push the limits. I like to test out all different mods to see what works and to qualify new parts. Like those lame caster/camber plates from Underkill Engineering lasted a few laps at Calabogie before cracking, throwing off my alignment and ruining my track weekend.

The 2J panhard swap was probably the best suspension mod so far along with light 17" wheels and good tires. I am still running the revalved Koni yellows and custom springs. Helper springs keep the mains in check on the uphill when the car gets light at the crest. Some of the vettes running in advanced/instructor get some air at that hill.

If I had the time more down force would be in the works along with an engine swap and better front geometry, but that's all until I get it done.

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 04-14-2015 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:01 AM

Very impressive. I really wonder what the guy in the Subbie was thinking he was pushing At 5:50 he got a little sideways, keeps looking in his rear view mirror and its full of 4th gen.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:54 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I remember the camber plate BS. It's too bad, but to be honest the Cusco/Stillen design is crap. What we need is a top mounted GC style configuration.

Since I bought my Frontier the Max has only been tinkered on here and there. I really need to dig my car out of the snow bank and get some work done to it. I miss going to NED. Last time I went I broke an axle and had to get towed home!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Lightly modded

I'll have to watch this at home at full volume. Good to see you back here Joe! I'm hoping to make it back to Summit Point this year for a track day or two once I get everything with the motor straightened out (hopefully this week). Please tell me you're still racing this thing! I have the XP8s as well, aren't they great?

For those talking about camber plates: just get some BC coilovers and be done with it! I've had mine for ~3 years now and love them.

Edit- Did you ever figure anything out to quiet down the panhard rod ends? I have to keep putting anti-seize on it to keep it semi-tolerable and flexible.

Last edited by 95maxrider; 04-22-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 95maxrider
I'll have to watch this at home at full volume. Good to see you back here Joe! I'm hoping to make it back to Summit Point this year for a track day or two once I get everything with the motor straightened out (hopefully this week). Please tell me you're still racing this thing! I have the XP8s as well, aren't they great?

For those talking about camber plates: just get some BC coilovers and be done with it! I've had mine for ~3 years now and love them.

Edit- Did you ever figure anything out to quiet down the panhard rod ends? I have to keep putting anti-seize on it to keep it semi-tolerable and flexible.
Car sits for the most part. Haven't had time to do any more stuff with work and other bs. XP8s for the 300ZX calipers still have another track day on them, the rears can go a few more.

I am still running Stillen camber plates modded with some parts salvaged from that Underkill Engineering fiasco. Forgot what its called but its a short cone that sits under the spherical and tapers down to the spring holder. Its a mishmash of parts that seems to be working well for the last few years, just needs caster adjustment.

The panhard rod ends are in a spot where boots get torn off after a few track miles, so I haven't found a long term solution. They make panhard bars that have poly or rubber bushings. That would be a quieter solution if there was one close in size and length to the 2J stuff.

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 04-24-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Car sits for the most part. Haven't had time to do any more stuff with work and other bs. XP8s for the 300ZX calipers still have another track day on them, the rears can go a few more.

I am still running Stillen camber plates modded with some parts salvaged from that Underkill Engineering fiasco. Forgot what its called but its a short cone that sits under the spherical and tapers down to the spring holder. Its a mishmash of parts that seems to be working well for the last few years, just needs caster adjustment.

The panhard rod ends are in a spot where boots get torn off after a few track miles, so I haven't found a long term solution. They make panhard bars that have poly or rubber bushings. That would be a quieter solution if there was one close in size and length to the 2J stuff.
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if something like this could be made to work with a little tweaking.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:43 AM

Awesome, I'm not the only one crazy enough to track a Maxima.