Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

Pick N Pull prices SUCK!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 12:07 AM

Pick N Pull prices SUCK!

Back in 2005 I bought a black rear deck finisher which I am now just installing. When I bought it, all of the yards were owned by a different company. I got it for $10. Knowing that PNP blows hard, I figured I'd check what it would run me now.

The answer is $45 for a 20 year old piece of fiber board that would otherwise end up in the crusher if I didn't want it.

What a bunch of idiots. They should be happy when people want to buy their junk parts that will be gone in a week's time. I'm going to call up the local group that owns PNP and tell them they should be satisfied making a killing off recycling steel and stop ripping off car enthusiasts as well.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Got Retrofit?

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM

I got my I30 dash at a Pick N Pull for $29.......... and I30 chrome door handles for $7 (for all 4) and the Rearview for $9

Pick-N-Pull prices are the WIN actually
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
I got my I30 dash at a Pick N Pull for $29.......... and I30 chrome door handles for $7 (for all 4) and the Rearview for $9

Pick-N-Pull prices are the WIN actually
Remember I bought front and rear leather seats along with door panels for $75
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
Remember I bought front and rear leather seats along with door panels for $75
uber steal of the year. I got those fogs with brackets and switch for like $13 too
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

So true, Pick N Pull took over a bunch of my favorite yards. It's almost not worth it, you definitely can't get any fantastic deals anymore. They nearly doubled the old yards' prices on most things. It's borderline not worth it unless it's some OEM piece you absolutely must have.

What pisses me off the most, though, is that they have a designated old douche bag who stands at the cashier windows and makes sure to point out to the cashier EVERY LITTLE THING they could possibly charge you for. Got a dashboard? Oh, that'll be $10 extra for the little misc. harness hanging off it. Oh, there's two little harnesses hanging off it? That'll be $20 more. Oh, your vent window has some molding on it? That'll be extra too.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE

What pisses me off the most, though, is that they have a designated old douche bag who stands at the cashier windows and makes sure to point out to the cashier EVERY LITTLE THING they could possibly charge you for. Got a dashboard? Oh, that'll be $10 extra for the little misc. harness hanging off it. Oh, there's two little harnesses hanging off it? That'll be $20 more. Oh, your vent window has some molding on it? That'll be extra too.
I will admit they do this at the local PNP. When I god my dash, I stripped it of everything I didnt need. Like the guy tried to charge me for a clock and a digital clock....I was "wtf?"
Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 PM

ive gotten lots of nice stuff, got my 3rd gen K&N filter for $1 and alot of rare parts for cheap

the one time i d was for work i had to get a fusebox for a van and got sent to PickNPull, they charge $1 each relay and i cant remember how much for each fuse. i just pulled the stupid fusebox and picked all the fuses and relays out and left them on the vans engine

ive gotten some workers that let me have stuff for free, they just say dont worry about it
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
ive gotten lots of nice stuff, got my 3rd gen K&N filter for $1 and alot of rare parts for cheap

the one time i d was for work i had to get a fusebox for a van and got sent to PickNPull, they charge $1 each relay and i cant remember how much for each fuse. i just pulled the stupid fusebox and picked all the fuses and relays out and left them on the vans engine

ive gotten some workers that let me have stuff for free, they just say dont worry about it
You're just supposed to steal small items like that, that's why they charge you the couple bucks to get in

I can't even do that at Pick N Pull anymore though. They now pull all fuses out of all the cars and try to sell them up front in little grab bags for like 5 or 10 bucks or something silly. They also pull all the good tires and nice OEM or aftermarket wheels and try to sell them for like 400 bucks up front. They really go to great lengths to ensure you won't get a steal of a deal or find a gem.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
I will admit they do this at the local PNP. When I god my dash, I stripped it of everything I didnt need. Like the guy tried to charge me for a clock and a digital clock....I was "wtf?"
Is the guy a toooootal douche? The cashiers are behind glass and this guy stands in the customer area and even sets up a podium to ensure he intercepts you. Then he will relay to the cashier just exactly what it is that you have to make sure they get every dollar out of you. The fact that he's such a **** makes it worse. One time I successfully made it past him and the cashier with a little extra bit of a part that he missed. I can't remember what it was but it wasn't like I was making off like a bandit. So I paid the cashier and was at that area where they mark your receipt and do the paint pen on your parts. Well this fool notices it and comes over to intercept me to make me take it off or pay for it.

He seems to rotate between the several locations I go to and of course it's my luck that he's almost always at the one I'm at.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM

Ours have no glass, and the cashier is the person that looks over everything. Its like they go throw training on how to rape your wallet
Old 05-05-2012, 10:40 AM

You're just supposed to steal small items like that, that's why they charge you the couple bucks to get in
ive never stolen anything, i just cant lol. lots of people steal though, they dig holes under the fence and throw stuff under

i only really go now when they have 50% off everything every few months, last time i just grabbed a bunch of Supra parts. ive only bought a few odd things for the truck since then

they have glass here but they charge a ridiculous price for it, a guy asked me to help him get a window out once and it was $90 or something for a rear window out of a van
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Last time I went to a yard it was for a door handle. They would not sell just the handle, only the WHOLE door. F that.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:07 AM

So I take it that Pick N Pull is some sort of franchise junk/salvage yard? Never heard of them.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:43 PM

has happened here as well with many pick and pull yards bought by LKQ parts company. Ever since that happened, the prices skyrocketed to where it is almost not worth it to even go on the 50% days. On some parts you only save a couple of dollars compared to the OEM prices. Only reason I go is that sometimes I need parts for my 2nd gen maxima, that are either hard to find elsewhere or just too darned expensive to buy new. Prices have almost tripled in some cases for the parts they have.

They stay in business here because people still flock to their yards, and the scavengers still pull parts and re-sell them outside. I used to go almost every week, but now I haven't been to one in about a year.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:55 AM

Looks like I have it easy. Even though I haven't seen much of it, I don't think it's wrong to charge you for things that haven't been removed, unless it should be considered part of the item you're buying. The ridiculous prices are what gets to me. 20 year old relays and electrical connectors for $5 each? $40 wiring harness that you have to get to and remove yourself is ridiculous. Basically everything is overpriced compared to locally owned or LKQ as they've been before. 50% off days don't come often enough.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM

I'll add on to here. I recently went for my first time and it was a win because I found a brand new starter in a totaled maxima! lol.

The cashiers are behind glass and this guy stands in the customer area and even sets up a podium to ensure he intercepts you. Then he will relay to the cashier just exactly what it is that you have to make sure they get every dollar out of you..
Yep it's just like ours. So starters are quoted to be $15 online, so I go up to the cashier and he's just astounded that I was able to find a brand new one.

I comment on my find as well, you know, be all friendly, then he says "$85" and looks away. I dont say anything for second, then call him out saying it was 15 online. He sighs, looks at me, looks away, then says 19. I think damn right son, thinking the additional 4 was tax. Once I pay, I walk away and see that he added an extra 3 as a core charge!

Bastard tried to take advantage of me since I'm sureI am relatively younger than people who usually go there. Mind you, I'm 20, but that got me hot blooded.

Im going go back for seats if I can though, they're $34 and this time Im negotiating hard if he tries to screw ball me. Going to see if 5th gen seats fit in a 4th gen

Question to all: Is it wrong to be asked what I am being charged on considering what's happend? I wouldnt care if he gets irritated, it's my money and I'm spending it. They don't have manners anyway
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by D I R T Y I 3 0
I'll add on to here. I recently went for my first time and it was a win because I found a brand new starter in a totaled maxima! lol.

Yep it's just like ours. So starters are quoted to be $15 online, so I go up to the cashier and he's just astounded that I was able to find a brand new one.

I comment on my find as well, you know, be all friendly, then he says "$85" and looks away. I dont say anything for second, then call him out saying it was 15 online. He sighs, looks at me, looks away, then says 19. I think damn right son, thinking the additional 4 was tax. Once I pay, I walk away and see that he added an extra 3 as a core charge!

Bastard tried to take advantage of me since I'm sureI am relatively younger than people who usually go there. Mind you, I'm 20, but that got me hot blooded.

Im going go back for seats if I can though, they're $34 and this time Im negotiating hard if he tries to screw ball me. Going to see if 5th gen seats fit in a 4th gen

Question to all: Is it wrong to be asked what I am being charged on considering what's happend? I wouldnt care if he gets irritated, it's my money and I'm spending it. They don't have manners anyway
Nice find... 5th gen seats will fit...with modification... you gotta cut the bolting points off the 4th gen tracks and bolt/weld them to the 5thgen tracks... im mid process myself...but work and family has stoped that project lol
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MAXIMA_STYLE
Nice find... 5th gen seats will fit...with modification... you gotta cut the bolting points off the 4th gen tracks and bolt/weld them to the 5thgen tracks... im mid process myself...but work and family has stoped that project lol
Hmm sounds like a lot of work, I'll just look for 4th gen seats so it's just a direct fit. Thanks though
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM

It is a lil work..BUT well worth it imo.. the rear seat however clis right in... the too require a few holes to be redrilled...aside from that its a direct mount
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 PM

Since this got bumped I have to say that two weekends ago I was at this same Pick N Pull I was bashing earlier in this thread. I hadn't been there probably since around the last time I listed in here about it.

I was shocked (and pleased) to say they've drastically dropped their prices back down. Honestly it was to the point where the prices were so high, and they screwed you charging you for every little bit that it wasn't hardly worth it. They must have had a come-to-Jesus realization that if people wanted to pay crazy prices for parts that they weren't going to do it at a junkyard, much less one that you have to pull your own stuff.

I got two complete 3rd gen door assemblies - I mean everything, glass, door panels, handles, switches, speakers, regulators, everything. They charged me $35 a door even though their website stated $55 a door (which even at that price I was quite happy as I went in there thinking they'd want $100 a door or something).

On top of that, the old douche with the podium is no longer there
Old 03-01-2013, 08:00 AM
^ Jeff™

The prices are usually negotiable. I've walked about before, leaving parts sitting on their desk, if I didn't agree with their 'firm' price. lol
Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM

I have left parts on their counter many many times. and usually the manager will ask me what the problem is and he takes care if me mostly. I always tell them" good luck figuring out what car it goes on" if I leave it there.

I remember I bought an a-pillar, cigarette lighter socket, and shift trim. they wanted almost 60 dollars.. I laughed and said I will give you 20 bucks or leave it... they kindly accepted my offer. lol

We have a pick-n-pull, pull-n-save, and tear-a-part near me. the pull-n-save offers half price EVERY wednesday. even admission. So even when I dont need anything I still will go to rumage. I have gotten a front mount intercooler with all the piping and 16g turbo all off of an eclipse and I paid less than 60 for all of it. Then sold it all for alot more.

Fuses and bulbs are what I'll grab up alot, can never have too many. lol some lady charges me 10 fuses for one dollar and bulbs are like 10 cents each..
Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM

i havent bought anything really at the one by me, last times ive gone was to see my old Hardbody before it got crushed (sad to see ) but i went last week for fun. scored a MKI Supra louvre, louvres arent in their system and i was hoping they would say something like 50 bucks. just said meh, 10 bucks. impossible to find louvre that i can easily sell for a couple hundred now
Old 11-27-2014, 12:10 PM

There are two Pick-n-Pull yards in my area. A few years ago, one was good about not charging for small trim items or nuts and bolts. Back in those days, I remember standing in line as I waited for 5 to 6 people in front of me to check out.

Somehow P-n-P management changed and they started charging for every little nit picky screw or trim item. When that happened the long checkout lines disappeared. I found I was the only person checking out. I'm sure their business took a big hit.

Also, a competitor opened up on the the area who doesn't sweat the small stuff. So Pick-and-Pull's "penny wise and pound foolish" attitude ended up ruining their business in my area.

One thing I have noticed that helps with Pick and Pull is to participate in the Toolkit Rewards program. When you walk up to check out and pull out the took kit rewards card, they seem to give you a little better treatment. Also I get email notices when there are 50% off sales for Toolkit Rewards Members Only.

I picked up a like new black leather interior for a 4th gen Maxima (doors, seats, console) for roughly $140. I couldn't buy some off the wall seat covers for that price.

If you need to buy parts from a Pick-and-Pull, you might want to signup and get a Toolkit Rewards Card and get some benefits.

http://www.picknpulltoolkit.com/

Last edited by CS_AR; 12-16-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Too true

Originally Posted by Hectic
Back in 2005 I bought a black rear deck finisher which I am now just installing. When I bought it, all of the yards were owned by a different company. I got it for $10. Knowing that PNP blows hard, I figured I'd check what it would run me now.

The answer is $45 for a 20 year old piece of fiber board that would otherwise end up in the crusher if I didn't want it.

What a bunch of idiots. They should be happy when people want to buy their junk parts that will be gone in a week's time. I'm going to call up the local group that owns PNP and tell them they should be satisfied making a killing off recycling steel and stop ripping off car enthusiasts as well.

Amen brother I went there to replace a side mirror frame and they wanted to charge me 50 bucks 50 bucks and it didn't even have any of the electrical in it retarded
Old 04-18-2022, 03:58 AM

With all of the changes in ideologies, new philosophies, cancelled societal segments and reversals of accepted processes and practices, it’s refreshing to know that over the past 10 years, something has remained the same.

Thanks much for bringing this 10 year old thread back to life.