Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maintenance, Tech, & Care > Detailing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!

Old 08-10-2003, 09:02 PM   #1
Kal

Points: 10,385, Level: 67 Points: 10,385, Level: 67 Points: 10,385, Level: 67
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Buffer questions.

I've decided to buy a buffer to use on my car but i don't know much about them. I'v found a 10 inch buffer at sears with a bucket and some pads and cloths for 40 dollars. I think it is orbital. Are there any features I should look for or anything in general i need to know before i get one? Is there any advantage at to having a 6 inch rather then a 10 inch buffer.

This is the buffer i looked at.
10 inch $39.99 Buffer

6 Inch Buffer

Or should i look somewhere else?
Rewired foglights|Stillen rear sway bar|28% side and 18 % rear window tint|2002 I30 front grill||clear bumper lenses|custom cleared headlights|235/50 -17 kumho ecsta kh 11 tires|nissan maxima ST-R front lip spoiler from austrailia|JL Audio 12w6v2|JL Audio 500/1 amp|HID fog lights 6000k/55w

2007 Nissan Maxima SE
Nismo front and rear sway bars|HID fog lights 6000k/55w|Racingline FSTB
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 03:50 AM   #2

I use this one with great results:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...#special_offer

I used to have a six inch buffer. But i found that thew motor was not strong enough to removew wax/polish effectively.

The one i'm using now (above) does a great job. A lot of people swear by the one by Porter Cable polisher, but it significantly more expensive.

Take a look at my homepage for shiny car pics.

Bob
Old 08-11-2003, 04:27 AM   #3
Da Roller Coaster!

Points: 17,986, Level: 85 Points: 17,986, Level: 85 Points: 17,986, Level: 85
Activity: 8.2%
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%

While the porter cable is more expensive it does a significant better job than other buffers. The 10-inch orbitals are really only decent for applying and removing wax. They don't do much for polishes or cleaners. In my opinion the porter cable is worth the money. Its virtually idiot proof (wont harm the finish) and it works amazingly well.

foodmanry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:01 AM   #4
Doctorate in Detailing

Points: 13,206, Level: 74 Points: 13,206, Level: 74 Points: 13,206, Level: 74

Quote:
Originally posted by foodmanry
While the porter cable is more expensive it does a significant better job than other buffers. The 10-inch orbitals are really only decent for applying and removing wax. They don't do much for polishes or cleaners. In my opinion the porter cable is worth the money. Its virtually idiot proof (wont harm the finish) and it works amazingly well.
The Porter Cable, although about $120, is worth the money.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:54 AM   #5
An atavistic endeavor...

Send a message via AIM to endus Send a message via MSN to endus Send a message via Yahoo to endus
The *overwhelming consensus is that the Porter Cable is the best buffer for home detailers. Very safe, very effective...definitely worth the extra money.
endus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:01 PM   #6
Donating Maxima.org Member

Points: 12,027, Level: 71 Points: 12,027, Level: 71 Points: 12,027, Level: 71

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverChrome03
I use this one with great results:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortmen...#special_offer
I've seen that very model too.... I was searching for a machine polisher last year, and saw this on sale for $80 (Cdn) and although it was reasonably powerful (2.6 amps I think), it was HUGE and so is the 10" pad. Also, you're limited to 2 speeds and not terribly fast ones at that. I passed.

Even though the Porter Cable is significantly more expensive to buy & equip, I just couldn't bring myself to "cheap out" this time simply because all these other machines simply had too many compromises. Some were too bulky, none were both fast AND powerful, speed settings were limited, etc, etc. I finally came to conclude that the Porter Cable polisher was almost a perfectly adapted animal for the job we need. (I say "almost" because its baseball bat-like body makes for a poor grip if you have smaller hands.) Smaller pads about 6" in size are handier IMO because they can do smaller areas than the big 8" or 10" pads can.

It's great if you enjoy detailing and think you'll continue to do it over the years. It's a big sweat saver, and is the closest thing to a circular polisher us hobbyists can use while only half-awake.
-Armor-plated paint!

-RSB somewhere in holding pattern....
Bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:01 PM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima

Paid Advertisement