Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Wax harmful?

Old 02-12-2004, 07:47 PM

Wax harmful?

I just got the engine crank sensor recall done...and the damn dealer scratched my car. Anyways, so I went home, wash and waxed my car. While I was applying wax onto the body of the car, i accidently got some onto the headlights and taillights. And when i buff them off w/ the entire car 15 minutes later, it seems like the wax penatrated into the plastic shields of both head and tail lights...leaving a big blurr onto them. Is there any way to get the blur off? I tried 409 and windex and it didnt help. Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM

Carnubas on tail/headlights usually leaves them SHINY I usually buff them whenever I pamper the max...It really shouldn't matter what wax you get on there...

Strange penetrating wax? what wax was it....Try re-applying a small amount with your fingers then buff out by hand....use clean microfib towel so as to avoid scratching surface...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:42 PM
† ErV †

are you sure it wasn't rubbing compound as wax will not do anything like that. i've used mcguire's (sp?) on headlight/tailights for the longest of time and they look brand new.

Old 02-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What wax were you using? Some, such as Klasse, are actually recommended for plastics as well. Obviously not the case here. I'm guessing you're using some sort of cleaner/swirl remover type wax.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree, wax should shine the plastic, sounds like he used
something with some abrasives, howd the paint turn out?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Faster than a speeding bullet...

I wouldn't know why car wax would cause your lenses to blur or haze, but you might want to try 3M Plastic Polish or Kit ScratchX to try to get rid of it. My headlight lenses developed haze and the Kit product got them both looking and feeling smooth.

Good luck. Peace.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:12 PM

Thanks guys...I'll try the kit scratchX but where can i find the product? btw, i was using Meguiar's wax.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:12 PM

hopefully the same thing won't happen to me tomorrow at the dealer.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:19 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

get plastic polish. available at checker, pep boys, auto zone, etc
Old 02-14-2004, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by asu174
get plastic polish. available at checker, pep boys, auto zone, etc
I agree - get a plastic polish like Novus. You can get a beginner's kit with a small bottle of Novus 1 and Novus 2 at a lot of places. If you can't find it at an auto store or a place like Lowe's, look in the yellow pages for anyone who sells plexiglass or acrylic sheet. Mine was $5, and works on a lot of stuff, even if you (accidentally) get armor all or something on your speedo plastic.

Jack
Old 02-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Weird, I've never seen Plastic Polish (or Plastic Cleaner) at Autozone, Advance, etc... never tried Pep Boys though.
I ordered mine online through autogeek.net
Old 02-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try:

- bug & tar remover or a mild solvent (rubbing alcohol for instance) if you think it's wax smearing.
- plastic polish like Novus or PlastX (Meguiar's) if you think it's scratches

Do NOT use Scratch-X. I'm almost certain that this product, designed for correcting paint scratches, will be more aggressive than you should be trying at this stage. Do the non-abrasive or gentle methods first.

I'm still curious as to what wax you used and what materials you used to apply or buff them? The reason may lay in that...

EDIT: I just realized that maybe what you have could just be dried wax on the lights? If that's the case then 409/Windex may not work, but a solvent of some kind will. At worst, a mild plastic polish should remove it.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:30 PM

The hazing/clouding may have been caused by solvents in the wax if we're talking about a cludiness that has penetrated the plastic. What Meguiar's wax were you using? If Gold Class, it has mild cleaners in it. Same with #20, #16, and A12 (consumer cleaner -wax in maroon bottle). #26 I believe doesn't have any.
I would stay away from most solvents on Nissan plastic. There is a TSB warning against using rubbing alcohol or petroleum distillate containing products on interior clear plastics. It says it will cloud them. This can happen with Armor-All type protectants (containing petroleum distillates) to cleaners containing them or alcohol. This may be applicable to exterior plastics also, as I don't believe quality plastic is one of Nissan's greatest traits.
For your headlights and plastic lenses, a dedicated plastic polish is ideal. I personally use Novus #2 (and #3 for really heavy scratching) after having tried most of them. You can order it off the web or call 1-800-548-6872 for your nearest distributor. I find it locally at a place specializing in plastics/plexiglass.
If you can't find Novus locally, you could probably find Blue Magic plastic polish at AutoZone, etc... It is pretty effective, and what I used before Novus. It too will remove scratches, haze, and discoloration. Definitely worth having on hand, and cheap. I just happen to like Novus a little more (I still have my Blue Magic, and it still sometimes gets used on various things).
Part of my normal wash routine is to use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish on my headlights, just like you would on wheels (but residue will turn yellow instead of black). Sounds crazy, but it really works great when a dedicated plastic polish for scratches isn't necessary. It really removes the yellowing (oxidation), making the lens literally crystal clear. And it leaves a little protection so they don't discolor.

Sorry for the rant, but I really like crystal clear plastic and glass on my vehicles. And I remember what it was like not having it! Hope this helps.

Dave