Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Polished Valve Cover Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Polished Valve Cover Treatment

If you have polished aluminum valve covers and you would like to protect the finish without using a clear coat that may yellow or crack over time, I found an unlikely product that will keep the polished aluminum finish from tarnishing.
I started using this product about 4 years ago on my polished Q45 plenum. I tried various clear engine/header finishes without success. The clears would either yellow or start to crack over time. About the same time I was having problems using a clear on the valve covers and the plenum, Armor All introduced the Wheel Protectant product.

If you think about wheels getting heated up from brake friction, then being exposed to road grime, salt, and brake dust, a valve cover has an easy life in comparison.

So I gave it a try. It works!

Basically after polishing an aluminum valve cover, I spray on one coat of AA Wheel Protectant and let it dry at room temp for an hour.

Next I apply a second coat and bake it at 175 degrees for 45 minutes to cure.

After I remove the cured VC from the oven, I rub it with a microfiber cloth to shiny luster.

The product seems to soak into the metal pores and provides protection for years. If you need to reapply it some time later, you can respray it in place without getting into all the hassles of paint.

Here's a picture of my 99 Maxima valve cover coming out of the oven after the 2nd treatment before the final microfiber shine up.

Name:  Valve_Cover_Treatment_zpsaacb61e8.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  209.0 KB[/URL]

The product.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
If you have polished aluminum valve covers and you would like to protect the finish without using a clear coat that may yellow or crack over time, I found an unlikely product that will keep the polished aluminum finish from tarnishing.
I started using this product about 4 years ago on my polished Q45 plenum. I tried various clear engine/header finishes without success. The clears would either yellow or start to crack over time. About the same time I was having problems using a clear on the valve covers and the plenum, Armor All introduced the Wheel Protectant product.

If you think about wheels getting heated up from brake friction, then being exposed to road grime, salt, and brake dust, a valve cover has an easy life in comparison.

So I gave it a try. It works!

Basically after polishing an aluminum valve cover, I spray on one coat of AA Wheel Protectant and let it dry at room temp for an hour.

Next I apply a second coat and bake it at 175 degrees for 45 minutes to cure.

After I remove the cured VC from the oven, I rub it with a microfiber cloth to shiny luster.

The product seems to soak into the metal pores and provides protection for years. If you need to reapply it some time later, you can respray it in place without getting into all the hassles of paint.

Here's a picture of my 99 Maxima valve cover coming out of the oven after the 2nd treatment before the final microfiber shine up.

[/URL]

The product.

Nice work and thanks for the tip!! Any interest in polishing up and treating my VC if I paid for the work? I started the job, but I lack the available time to properly do it.

-Andy
Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM

Great idea... But how about cleaning it what product do you use?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:34 PM

About once a year I use the metal cleaning wipes to clean, then buff to a luster and respray with wheel protectant. I get the Cape Cod wipes at my local Ace Hardware.