Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Detail projects

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
Thanks. I'm sure I pushed too hard since this car was built 3 months ago and suffered from much lighter defects. I should've started on my '10 which has more of a need. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on the correction since it's getting cold here and the nice days are few and far between.
Yeah, it's freaking cold here in GA so i have not been doing anything. Keep me posted.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:19 PM

Yeah here too except for the weekend of 60's and raining! So I ordered a porter cable DA, I got Meg's swirlx and some foam finishing pads. Question if
You want to pm I would love to know the ins and outs of using a DA and also which pad to use micro or foam? It's so confusing watch YouTube vids when they all plug their own product but don't really answer simple questions. Anyway if you can point me in the right direction I'm going to polish then seal it with Meg's ultimate liquid wax since it will last longer. Let me know and stay warm.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:32 PM

Was able to nanoskin, Polish and wax both maxs. Did one on Saturday and one yesterday. Look great just in time for some ice this winter!

This is a before and after if you look in the middle of the hood you will see a before and after. Amazing the difference on my '10 slate. It looks 2 shadows darker and beautiful. If you look down the trunk of the tree or the middle of the wiper blade you should see before on the left and after on the right.
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8jpd9qld.jpg

Total car after pic of '10
http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3hdv5f7q.jpg

Will send pics of '14 later today after some pics from yesterday.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:33 PM

Name:  648452EB-D7CD-47CB-BE5E-4B5366737073_zpstkc7jvrb.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  95.0 KB
Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 PM

'14

Name:  252E0CB3-0F73-4A2F-A998-A09338EF6951_zps043uv0hn.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  144.7 KB
Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 PM

'10

Name:  4D5CD184-1B22-429D-9B40-DDB282D5AB73_zps3hdv5f7q.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  159.9 KB
Old 12-04-2014, 05:35 PM

Both my babies!Name:  5E6C776A-199C-420D-9AAE-8F27D1B86639_zpsxoku8grn.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  91.0 KB
Old 12-04-2014, 05:36 PM

'10

Name:  542824D5-DD86-4500-ABF8-2870F3AED944_zpsznwvglbm.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  134.7 KB
Old 12-04-2014, 05:37 PM

That was some serious work but I'm happy I did it. Only a couple of times a year thank god!!! Thanks to all for the tips, tricks, warnings, help, etc. these cars look awesome if I can say so myself. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:14 PM

Holy crap, look at that… Your cars looks great dude. Did you ever get that scuff mark out from the Nanoskin?

Did you seal the car with anything?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:24 PM

I re nanoed them both and still some light micro marring but nothing bad.
I sealed it with liquid wax but nothing over that. Is that what you mean? Or is there another top dressing you speak of?
Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 PM

it's what i was thinking. I need to detail my Maxima, The weather he does not permit it and I don't have a garage to use. I will re-nanoskin The whole car and DA it soon as the weather permits. If you use some of the Meg's Sealant 26 your car will feel like Silk and the rain will roll off like it was Rain-x.

Last edited by SR20Power; 12-28-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:41 PM

SR, I used Meg's polish and wax on the '10 and then just used nano and wax on '14
Old 12-28-2014, 06:42 PM

I can put sealant over the wax I put on even though it's been a month? Let me know as I'm not sure on this.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:02 AM

You sure can , just do another great wash and DO NOT nano skin the car, it will remove the wax, also make sure to use a Quality car soap if you don't already have one. Dish soap and others can also remove your wax.
The sealant is just another layer of protection. Typically you would do sealant then Wax. Wait another month when the wax has reached it's limit then use a sealant than wax.

Because wax is well, a wax it will weather off much faster than a sealant. Most sealant are polymers that stick to your car surface much tighter which is why you add a Sealant THAN a wax over the sealant. After you use a quality sealant you will notice nothing will be able to stay on your paint as it will feel like Silk. Klasse is a great sealant and very affordable, don't buy into the $50 bottle of sealant imo. I have a $50 bottle of Wolfgang 3.0 Sealant (free, they were suppose to send me a small sample and they forgot and just sent me a big bottle from Autogeeks), the Megs last longer and easier to remove imo.

Take your time, enjoy you cars Luster as it is right now.

Oh, don't forget to seal and wax your wheels too, at least seal them, you will notice you can just wash off the break dust with a pressure hose. Do Claybar or Nanoskin ur wheels…..

One day when I really feel hardcore I will remove my wheels and detail them.

Last edited by SR20Power; 12-29-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Duh... I remember now that it's sealant then wax! I'll wait till spring and get the sealant you recommended and then wax with Meg's ultimate. What's the cure time between sealing and waxing? Yeah I will seal my wheels since both cars are blemish free(cross fingers) and hope to keep it that way. Finally, I use Meg's gold class for washing.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:10 PM

Duh... I remember now that it's sealant then wax! I'll wait till spring and get the sealant you recommended and then wax with Meg's ultimate. What's the cure time between sealing and waxing? Yeah I will seal my wheels since both cars are blemish free(cross fingers) and hope to keep it that way. Finally, I use Meg's gold class for washing.
Good, Good… That Meg's sealant is like $20 or something and it's great.
Don't jip yourself and skip the windows, I rain-X whenever I can, just sucks that crap is like $10 these days.

The inside of my car and my leather looks like $hit right now, I have to clean that too, Blue jeans and Tan leather are not friends at all…

Keep up the great work.,
Old 01-04-2015, 05:33 AM

Perfect. Will do. Wondering about any other products that work better than rain x? Maybe I'll start a thread!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 AM
RR5

Here is what I use http://www.autopia-carcare.com/prima-hydro-max.html# because it'll go over the paint, windows, trim and headlights/fogs.

Spray on, wipe off. Done.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I assume you use this and have for awhile. Can I put it over a wax I put on a month ago? How often do you use? Does it create a good shine or should I wax on top or underneath? Thanks. I will check it out.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:46 PM

Nanoskin is the sh*t. Started off with the small bottle there but ended up pulling the trigger on a gallon of the stuff after putting it to the test.

Question for you guys: I'm thinking I would prefer a one handed DA to use compound, Polish and seal the car with. Any recommendations? I just feel that I'd have better control and overall feel with a one-handed DA instead of a two-handed unit with the handle towards the bottom there. Thoughts?

Any knowledge/insight/intel on this would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-24-2015, 04:48 PM

NANO IS THE S$$T :-) 'll answer but I'm novice compared to these guys! Depends on the DA, I bought PC and it worked well. I did get DA nanoskin pad but I got it after I had did it by hand with nanosponge. What type of DA are you looking at and what's your plan or goal?
Old 01-24-2015, 06:01 PM

NANO IS THE S$$T :-) 'll answer but I'm novice compared to these guys! Depends on the DA, I bought PC and it worked well. I did get DA nanoskin pad but I got it after I had did it by hand with nanosponge. What type of DA are you looking at and what's your plan or goal?
Im just looking to do a complete detail from compound to polish to sealing and waxing.

I've seen videos with recommended steps and techniques and some videos have a handheld applicator with one hand where others have the applicator that's held with two hands.

Not that I have any experience with either, but for some reason I just think I'd prefer an applicator that's held with one hand as opposed to two. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Depending on the step you really can use a lot of the DA's with one hand on the base above the pad. I say depending because of the pad type, the step, and the pressure you will be using. Your car may only need a seal and a wax after you nanoed(clayed) it. I did polish my 2010 but my 2014 didn't really need it. Of course, the pads have different thickness and will do a lot of the work for you. I used Meguiars products even though I looked at Ammo and Chem Guys. I got amazing results with a reasonable expenditure. I don't see the need for the more expensive boutique products. The one off products like ammo skin and Chem jet seal I will be looking at in the future though.
So in summation get some products you feel comfortable with and try them out. If you use a compound and don't see a difference skip to the next step. Just know if you do compound you will have to polish before the next steps because of the micro abrasions you are creating on the paint.
My list of usage
1) Meguiars ultimate compound with chem guy hex logic Orange cut pad
2) Meguiars ulti polish with Chem guy hex logic black pad
3) Meguiars ulti liquid wax with chem guy hex black pad

I will probably put a glaze and a seal in spring on both cars. Good luck and hope that helps. Please take with a grain of salt as I know I don't have the experience some of these guys on here do.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
Im just looking to do a complete detail from compound to polish to sealing and waxing.

I've seen videos with recommended steps and techniques and some videos have a handheld applicator with one hand where others have the applicator that's held with two hands.

Not that I have any experience with either, but for some reason I just think I'd prefer an applicator that's held with one hand as opposed to two. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.
Great advice BIGIRSHSTL, notice how fast this become common place when talking about detailing after putting your hands a car and doing the work and being able to pay it forward

A bit of advice I will add to this is, IIRC I think the orange pad is a heavy cutting pad, it's always best to start out with the least aggressive pad that removes the swirls from your paint, always remember minimal effort for maximum results.

Ammo is a product made by a guy in NYC and i'm sure he is going to charge a premium for his products, I can't say if they are good or not but if you do get it let me know how it is. I've heard good things about jet seal from CG i've never used it myself.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:54 PM

Thanks SR. Dead right about the least to most aggressive. I should've said that. Good catch. I will keep you all posted if I use any "fancy" products!
Old 01-26-2015, 04:43 PM

Thanks so much for the info, guys; when it warms up I'm really looking forward to practicing this on the winter vehicle first until I know I have the technique down and then having at it with the Max!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:14 PM

Nice. I wish I had a test car to do that!!!
Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM

Nice. I wish I had a test car to do that!!!
You did fine, man! Top-notch stuff on those pictures you posted! That's what I'm going for!!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 AM

Thanks. It's no joke that it makes up keep easier with some spray wax and a wash!

Name:  033991D5-AFBC-46C7-A3E0-8432A084D9DC_zpspx1xqxwp.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  349.7 KB

Old 01-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Irsh, you should try drying your car before take pictures of it that $hit looks WET!!!!

What wheel dressing did you use? I am going buy some of the gel type instead of the spray. They are supposed to prevent sling and last longer. I will let you know which one I go with.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 PM

Ha! It is dry I swear.
I just replied to tintgate. To each his own.

Anyway, I use Meguiars endurance gel. I've tried a whole bunch mostly silicone based but some water based. Water based are less shiny and I'm still old school so I like the shine. Water based do look deeply black though just not shiny. Not for flash but for contrast from the wheel wells. Personal preference there. I've tried a bunch and I've been using the Meg's for several years now and very happy. Minimal sling. If you can leave it sit and make sure it doesn't get in the threads along the sidewall. Works great and for $8-$10 bucks it lasts me 6 months. Thanks again and your car is looking clean.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:59 PM

Did you buy it from your local Autozone or whatever? I will have to go look for that.. I hate the freaking spray stuff. I still have someone because i got it for CHEAP.. I couldn't pass on it.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM

Anyway, I use Meguiars endurance gel. Works great and for $8-$10 bucks it lasts me 6 months. Thanks again and your car is looking clean.
I got it from wally world a co worker recommended it,i got to say it last for days son.... just let it dry real good....even after a week and a few rainy days it still looks good....

I also used it on my baked weather strip around the windshield and back window ,what a shine armor all dressing just kept fading so i couldn't make them look worse

Last edited by nestorlugo; 01-27-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
Did you buy it from your local Autozone or whatever? I will have to go look for that.. I hate the freaking spray stuff. I still have someone because i got it for CHEAP.. I couldn't pass on it.
Wally World as our new friend said. It is great. I know people keep talking about sling from silicon based stuff but if you can put it on at night and let it sit...it sticks well. As the other guy said it works and I've been using it for years and try tons of others.... Guarantee you will toss the other stuff when you try this cause it's the best I've ever used quite honestly.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
I got it from wally world a co worker recommended it,i got to say it last for days son.... just let it dry real good....even after a week and a few rainy days it still looks good.... I also used it on my baked weather strip around the windshield and back window ,what a shine armor all dressing just kept fading so i couldn't make them look worse
Nestor is the man for agreeing with me :-) and the fact that it rocks! Not a bad idea about the weatherstripping too. Just don't get any on the paint!!!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Nestor is the man for agreeing with me :-) and the fact that it rocks! Not a bad idea about the weatherstripping too. Just don't get any on the paint!!!
Name:  images-8_zpshwfovmhp.jpeg
Views: 96
Size:  6.8 KB

I wiped off the excces with a rag since i was rushing,then saw the dull weatherstrip and used the rag ...never had to apply more ,it was damp enough I've done it a few times now,my paint isn't the best but I'm trying Name:  CAM00197_zpssp5x0kcw.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  82.5 KB
Old 01-27-2015, 08:53 PM

Looks pretty good to me. Nice work!

Looking good billy Ray!!!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:14 PM

Looks pretty good to me. Nice work!

Looking good billy Ray!!!
Thanks man...your max look awesome btw...

Last edited by nestorlugo; 01-27-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 PM

YES!!! I'm loving this. i want to see much more pictures… Nest, you would be super surprised what you can do to your car's paint when you give it some TLC… Even more so if you invest a couple of dollars on a simple clay bar and wash.. I think if people did NOTHING else but a Clay bar / nano skin and a wax the paint it would last forever (From normal weathering of course).. Mostly the waxing part.

The blue nano skin on Amazon is $12….MANY vids online how to do it.. Irish can tell you if it was worth it or not.

Quick Reply: Detail projects