Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Leather cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 10:10 AM

Leather cleaner

What is the best product to clean my leather seats
Old 09-22-2015, 05:33 PM

Murphy's Oil Soap.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lilfatz301
What is the best product to clean my leather seats
Picture of the seats..
Old 09-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Got Retrofit?

I use Lexol cleaner followed by their condition. Always worked great for me.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I use Lexol cleaner followed by their condition. Always worked great for me.
That cleaner only really works if the leather was already kind've clean.. If the leather is really dirty you can use a dilution of a degreaser to clean the leather then use the conditioner.
Old 09-26-2015, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
If the leather is really dirty you can use a dilution of a degreaser to clean the leather then use the conditioner.
Oh yeah ... there's some excellent advice right there.

The OP asked about "leather" care as opposed to vinyl and plastic.

Even then, no degreaser belongs applied to any automotive interior material.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 PM
RR5

Big take away point is to use a PH balanced cleaner followed by a conditioner. Check youtube, AMMO NYC has a video about leather care/cleaning that is worth watching.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink

Originally Posted by Turbobink

Okay! I know what he asked for and don't leave comment if your not going to leave useful advice.

I said a DILUTE, I don't know what you THINK it is in other leather cleaners but what you are removing move the leather are oils and grim, mostly oils from the skin,which NOTHING you are going to buy in a bottle will work for leather.

Also, Magic eraser, soap and water with a light touch works too. DON'T scrub it as it can damage the leather if you are not careful.

Turbobink:, This forum is about helping people the best way you can, if your post will ONLY be criticism without any explanation OR alternatives I will just report you for trolling and have it removed. I also equate if you can't leave helpful information you don't have any experience in the topic in discussion and shouldn't be posting here to begin with. SHOW PROOF what someone else is talking about isn't a good idea and not your inexperience or GUESSES on something you never done. Before you criticize what advice I give hear you better do a little research on this Detailing forum.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
Big take away point is to use a PH balanced cleaner followed by a conditioner. Check youtube, AMMO NYC has a video about leather care/cleaning that is worth watching.
The real quality "pH" balance cleaners are VERY expensive and you will notice what Larry from AMMO isn't using....... LEXOL... (Not saying you said he was) AS always, he starts with the least agressive method first then moves up to his $2000 Steamer. The average person here isn't going to have what Larry has, not the brushes, a machine with a brush attachment or the chemicals that he is using.
I've been paid and had great successes with the advice i've giving and NEVER messed up any leather seats, my customers are aware of what methods I a using after I tell them soap and water isn't going to work.
Again, this guy needs to post pictures of his leather to get honest advice on where he should start.
RR5, thanks for the input as you typically have great advice and know where to point people for the right or better answers. Check out "Auto fetish detailing" on youtube, he has great advice too.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Turbobink:, This forum is about helping people the best way you can, if your post will ONLY be criticism without any explanation OR alternatives I will just report you for trolling and have it removed. I also equate if you can't leave helpful information you don't have any experience in the topic in discussion and shouldn't be posting here to begin with. SHOW PROOF what someone else is talking about isn't a good idea and not your inexperience or GUESSES on something you never done. Before you criticize what advice I give hear you better do a little research on this Detailing forum.
I've provided an alternative ... based on experience. Please see the first reply to the OP's initial question.

... and your accusation that I have no knowledge or experience regarding this topic? You don't have any idea who you're speaking to.

Please feel to report what you like to whomever you like.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Ive had really good experience using conolly leather cleaner and conditionerm its a little expensive but works really well.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Ive had really good experience using conolly leather cleaner and conditionerm its a little expensive but works really well.
Yeah, as mentioned before it will typically be the more expensive stuff that is going to work. I say what ever works for you that gets the job done...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Keep in civil gentlemen. :grouphug:

Old 09-28-2015, 11:34 PM

Yeah, as mentioned before it will typically be the more expensive stuff that is going to work. I say what ever works for you that gets the job done...
Its 10:1 dilution ratio and still its pretty effective, what leather cleaner do you use.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Its 10:1 dilution ratio and still its pretty effective, what leather cleaner do you use.
It depends on the leather Lux...My 2011 Maxima I use just the Lexol or soap and water right now since it's pretty clean already and I do a good job keeping it clean. I condition after I clean the leather, it allows the leather to remain supple and have a UV protection to it. I try to do this at least once a month to my 11" Max since my wife drives that car. (I'm not trying to say anything )

My 07' maxima... OMFG it was horrible... It laughed at the Lexol, it giggled at soap and water...and stop laughing when I used a dilution of Purple power and water... The dirt and oils lifted right up with a boars hair brush. I did that with a combination of a Magic eraser pad. Since it is an 07' which was not well maintained it has the typical wear in it but the front is BRIGHT now and looks a million times better..I used soap and water and the magic eraser for the dash and it back to life now. I should've taken before and afters but I didn't sorry......

I will take a picture of it when the sun comes back out over here and do a half and half of the back seats that are not even half of bad and I will just use soap and water on that..
Old 09-30-2015, 04:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Leatherique

I'm new to the forum and to my new Maxima (2014 SV tech/prem) but thought I'd share what the folks on the Miata forum have spoken highly of. I used this stuff on my former ride, an 06 Miata's leather seats and they stayed surprisingly supple.

Amazon.com: Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil 16 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil 16 oz.: Automotive

It's available from many sources. I've no financial interest in the product.

Leatherique is kind of a cult thing among enthusiasts and detailers. I don't pretend to have mastered it. It's sort of expensive (but lasts a long time).

Leatherique and others even recommend covering the treated seats in a trash bag and parking it in the sun for a while. Read the manufacturer's instructions here:

http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_you...irections.html

From my own use I'll just say it does a good job of cleaning and conditioning. We use it on the leather sofa now as well. YMMV.

I've used lexol with great success too. Usually I routinely maintain with Lexol then leatherique once a year.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:58 AM

I just used Lexol for the first time on my 7th gen and it seems like it did a great job
Old 01-27-2016, 03:12 AM

I also like using Lexol because it is odorless and doesn't leave oily residue.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 PM

Megs APC and followed with Lexol conditioner.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:29 PM

I'm glad to hear many members like Lexol as long as the leather starts pretty clean. That supports the recommendation I got from the upholsterer who rebuilt my seats: Lexol should do a good job preserving my brand new leather.