Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Please sir can I have more ceramic coating

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:21 AM

Please sir can I have more ceramic coating

Just been reading about ceramic pro and body armour 9h etc etc. wondering if there is a product that really does last years? Also, why would I wax on top of a coating that is supposed to be the end all and be all of paint protectant? I mean I know why but doesn't it defeat the purpose then or I'm just adding another layer of clear to my car in reality? Anyways, thought I would throw it out there.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:17 PM

Of course they don't last for years but do they provide a particular "protection".. don't look it as a coating that will keep your car super shiny and clean all the time because it won't. Think of it as a suntan lotion that can have a lasting affect for about two years, but it wouldn't hurt to put a light coating on yourself every once in a while.
I've been toying with the idea of a Glass / Ceramic coating for a long time now just never pulled the trigger mostly because I have not had the time to fully polish any of my two cars. to make it worth it.
When Ceramic and or glass coatings is added to your paint, it really is a layer of protection that can be measured in microns. So it is something that is permanent for the time being but like everything else it can get removed with regular washes. Typically its a hyper hydrophobic solution and most if not all of them are a Silicone based product because of it's properties.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:16 PM

Of course my old friend SR answers! Yeah to be honest it's the prep that makes me hesitate since your truly sealing whatever state your car is in for X number of years or months depending on car. Thanks for the info I think I'll stick to a nice clay and seal twice a year!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
Of course my old friend SR answers! Yeah to be honest it's the prep that makes me hesitate since your truly sealing whatever state your car is in for X number of years or months depending on car. Thanks for the info I think I'll stick to a nice clay and seal twice a year!
Yeah, this is typically something people do with brand new cars or car with really quality paint. I think anyone that keeps their cars clean and maintained it's not necessary. I guess because I enjoy cleaning waxing my car.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you are looking for a slightly cheaper alternative to ceramic coating, I recently came across a product called 3M scotch guard Hyper shield. It comes in a little glass bottle and as the 3M guy explained, it is something like a ceramic coating. It has a hydrophobic effect and the guy at 3M promised it would last 2 years. It may not shine as much as a ceramic coating but it is surely shinier than a stock car. From my understanding, this product works more like a protective coating from dust, acid, bird droppings, etc.

Not sure if this is available in all countries. Do let me know if someone has any long term experiences with this product.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:40 AM

I use nanoskin nanoshock and the results are incredible. Hydrophobic solution that is a clay bar and sealant all in one step. Highly recommend.