Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Just cleaned intake manifold +++

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 04:29 PM
Cletus

Just cleaned intake manifold +++

Background
I regularly clean my throttle body by removing it so I can clean both sides and I use BG44K to clean injectors, etc. I have been wanting to clean the intake manifold since I was cleaning the two main things on either side of it.
I looked around to get info and pricing - dealership charges $100+ and most auto shops charge $80+

Well I found some stuff called Sea Foam for $6 and used it. It is supposed to "Clean carbon build up, Clean intake valves and pistons, Give smoother idle, Clean catalytic converter odors , Cure hesitations and pings, and Restore power and pickup" http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
It is not carried by most auto part chains (advance, autozone, etc) I got it at a local place (for local N VA guys - Fairfax Auto Parts)

How to use it
1. Run car to normal operating temp.
2. Disconnect brake booster vacuum line (big hose that connects to brake master cylinder)
3. Pour liquid into a paper cup (makes it easier to handle)
4. Start car
5. Dip vacuum line into cup of fluid (do not just stick it in and leave it, it will kill the car. dip it it for a few seconds until you hear the car about to die then take it out. repeat this until you are done. i used the suggested amount which is 1/3 of the bottle)
6. Turn off the car
7. Let sit for five minutes (the liquid will eat away at all the dirt and carbon in the intake manifold, cylinders, valves, etc)
8. Reconnect brake booster vacuum line
9. Start car (you will see ALOT of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, that is all that nasty cr@p coming out. mine had 88K miles worth of nasty cr@p!!!)
10. let car run at about 3K RMPs for a few minutes to get everything out.

My opinion -

AMAZING. Throttle response is quicker then it ever was (car had 50K miles on it when I bought it) Start up is quicker and smoother. Idle is more smooth and quiet. Drives like a new car. I wish I could see the inside so I could see how clean it was.

I recommend that everyone do this. If you have any questions let me know.

EDIT:
Locations of hose to use

Old 10-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

FYI, both Autozone and Advance Auto Parts carries this stuff, at least the ones in Hanover do. It's good stuff. I definitely noticed a difference after the first treatment, possibly a fuel economy boost too, and I did 2 more treatments right afterwards. I do 1 treatment every 5-10K miles now.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:22 PM

good stuff..

i will definitely use this on the 26k mile maxima and the 166k corolla
Old 10-17-2004, 05:41 PM

At some Autozones, you need to ask the sales people for seafoam, because sometimes they put it behind the counter. As for my results, I did notice a gain of about 1-2mpg more, better throttle response, and smoother idle. I used 1/2 can for the vacuum lines, and 1 full can for my fuel tank.

Oh yeah, one more thing, after finishing driving on the entire tankful of fuel with seafoam , I checked my oil and found lots of carbon particles in it. I assume the majority of the carbon came from the vacuum line treatment, and a a few from the fuel treatment. I recommend an immediate oil change afterwards to cleanse away the carbon after using seafoam.

steve...
Old 10-17-2004, 05:45 PM
Mauja He Mauja

i don't know about this. it makes me
i have read many posts suggesting that using BG44K doesn't improve performance. Is this product better than BG44K?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:55 PM

It's different from BG44K. BG44K works on the fuel system, this works on the air induction passages (intake manifold, head ports, valves, combustion chamber if it actually stays in there). I am confident this does a worthwhile job on a car which has never received it, but I wouldn't do it all that often.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by -ZIPPIN-
i don't know about this. it makes me
i have read many posts suggesting that using BG44K doesn't improve performance. Is this product better than BG44K?
I was skeptical also about seafoam, but after using it once, I believe it works well. I used it on both my 1993 Maxima SE, and my 2000 Maxima SE. My brother also used it on his 1997 Maxima GXE. All 3 Maximas showed some improvement in mpg, a smoother idle, and better throttle response. I wouldn't say it was like night and day change, but at least it was noticable enough.

steve...
Old 10-17-2004, 07:15 PM

Hmm... this sounds pretty good... I might give it a shot the next time I have time to spend on my car..... actually, maybe if I wasn't on the damn forums so much....

Fairfax Autoparts sounds familiar... I musta seen it somewhere around here....

Thanks for the info, Soonerfan...
Old 10-17-2004, 07:24 PM
retired moderator

fairfax auto parts is up on the hill at the intersection of Burke Center Pkwy and Ox Rd......right next to the car wash/goodyear tire place.....

There's also one on the road between Fairfax Circle and Fair City Mall....
Old 10-17-2004, 07:31 PM

fyi, sea foam has been on the fluids/lubricants forum for ages. there's a ton of info there..
Old 10-17-2004, 07:32 PM

you do realize that this was in the fluids and lubricants section for a while along with a writeup and diagrams of the booster hose...advance auto carries it, so do some autozones.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:39 PM
retired moderator

well obviously alot of people haven't seen it there...the fluids and lubricants section doesn't exactly get the traffic that the 5th gen forums do.....
Old 10-17-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
fairfax auto parts is up on the hill at the intersection of Burke Center Pkwy and Ox Rd......right next to the car wash/goodyear tire place.....

There's also one on the road between Fairfax Circle and Fair City Mall....
Thanks Irish... the one on Lee Highway is probably closest to me....
Old 10-17-2004, 07:57 PM

well obviously alot of people haven't seen it there...the fluids and lubricants section doesn't exactly get the traffic that the 5th gen forums do.....
maybe we should get rid of the fluids/lubricants section altogether then?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 PM

yeah sorry man, good job on the
keep up the repetitive work
Old 10-17-2004, 08:02 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by mansurxk
yeah sorry man, good job on the
keep up the repetitive work
wasn't my post, donkey .....I was just playing devil's advocate.

btw, I guess you've NEVER posted something that someone else posted before....wow, 657 original posts from you, that's simply amazing.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:29 PM

How about you write another how-to: how-to repost a previously beaten topic.

EDIT:....this was never edited, because i made my point the first time
Old 10-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Background
I regularly clean my throttle body by removing it so I can clean both sides and I use BG44K to clean injectors, etc. I have been wanting to clean the intake manifold since I was cleaning the two main things on either side of it.
I looked around to get info and pricing - dealership charges $100+ and most auto shops charge $80+

Well I found some stuff called Sea Foam for $6 and used it. It is supposed to "Clean carbon build up, Clean intake valves and pistons, Give smoother idle, Clean catalytic converter odors , Cure hesitations and pings, and Restore power and pickup" http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
It is not carried by most auto part chains (advance, autozone, etc) I got it at a local place (for local N VA guys - Fairfax Auto Parts)

How to use it
2. Disconnect brake booster vacuum line (big hose that connects to brake master cylinder)
4. Start car
5. Dip vacuum line into cup of fluid (do not just stick it in and leave it, it will kill the car. dip it it for a few seconds until you hear the car about to die then take it out. repeat this until you are done. i used the suggested amount which is 1/3 of the bottle)
6. Turn off the car
7. Let sit for five minutes (the liquid will eat away at all the dirt and carbon in the intake manifold, cylinders, valves, etc)
9. Start car (you will see ALOT of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, that is all that nasty cr@p coming out. mine had 88K miles worth of nasty cr@p!!!)

My opinion -

AMAZING. Throttle response is quicker then it ever was (car had 50K miles on it when I bought it) Start up is quicker and smoother. Idle is more smooth and quiet. Drives like a new car. I wish I could see the inside so I could see how clean it was.

I recommend that everyone do this. If you have any questions let me know.

Im going to do their Trans-Tune next!! http://www.seafoamsales.com/transTuneConsumer.htm
can you put a pic of the hose you are talking about. I want to do it. I did the BK44 and nothing happened
Old 10-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Mauja He Mauja

perhaps you should stay in the 4th gen forums. you obviously are not ready to graduate to our level
Old 10-18-2004, 05:06 AM

^^ i really hope ur not serious with that one...
Old 10-18-2004, 05:39 AM

.......................... so anyway..

This sounds fairly easy soonerfan. Where is the brake booster vacuum line located? I'm thinking about doing this once i need an oil change, figure i bang them all out in one day
Old 10-18-2004, 06:07 AM

Despite the few negative comments, this was still an informative writeup and was probably clearer and more helpful than the ones in the Fluids and Lubricants section.... good job Soonerfan....
Old 10-18-2004, 06:22 AM

they were talkin about this on the accord forum a while back, but i was really skeptical about letting my engine suck in this stuff. im afraid ill let it suck up too much, do some damage, etc. it seems pretty straightforward tho.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by KCMC582
they were talkin about this on the accord forum a while back, but i was really skeptical about letting my engine suck in this stuff. im afraid ill let it suck up too much, do some damage, etc. it seems pretty straightforward tho.
I don't think this stuff will pose a problem, so long as you feed it through the vacuum hose at a rate which DOESN'T stall the engine. I believe the premise is that this fluid occupies passages in a small amount, but under the heat of the engine, expands into a foam. This shouldn't harm anything, since foam is mostly air. Therefore, you won't have to worry about hydrolocking the engine with this stuff. Brilliant idea, IMHO.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:23 AM

Well Soonerfan!!!! after this post I'm gonna tried right now.... Hopefully I'll do some work today .... :
1.- Oil and filter replace
2.- Reaplace antifreeze
3.- Rotare tires
4.- Brakes (boths!!) [Replace - Adjust]
5.- Clean throttle body

Is f*&%$ng cool out side, but I can't wait winter is around the corner......TKX por the info.....
Old 10-18-2004, 07:38 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I would try the SeaFoam on my engine, but since I have a new VIAS coming and just did a oil change- its gonna have to wait. Plus the way I drive my car there is no way carbon even has time to build up anywhere
Old 10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Cletus

you do realize that this was in the fluids and lubricants section for a while along with a writeup and diagrams of the booster hose...advance auto carries it, so do some autozones.
well after cleaning my throttle body i was asking people about intake manifold cleaning.....no one suggested anything. so i figured it out myself.
that must be an old thread then.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Lontar1
can you put a pic of the hose you are talking about. I want to do it. I did the BK44 and nothing happened
i dont have a pic right now buts its easy to find. just look for the brake master cylinder (big black round thing on the drivers side firewall)
you will see the black 1/4 in hose going in to it.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Kevlo for President

I am going to reuse this and take pics of the manifold before I swap the 00VI in my car. First time I used I felt a difference. Hopefully the pics show something.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Cletus

here you go

Old 10-18-2004, 01:56 PM

could you post pic for the hoses please? i would like to get this done as well...not sure which hoses to pull..
Old 10-18-2004, 03:24 PM
retired moderator

EDIT: now you have 659 posts, and you're still a dumbas s.....

oh, and by the way, soonerfan posted this topic - not me. What, did they kick you out of the 4th gen forum so you have to hang out in the 5th gen forum? idiot....
Old 10-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Mauja He Mauja

EDIT: now you have 659 posts, and you're still a dumbas s.....

oh, and by the way, soonerfan posted this topic - not me. What, did they kick you out of the 4th gen forum so you have to hang out in the 5th gen forum? idiot....
hahahahahahaha.....take this back to the 4th gen forums....
Old 10-18-2004, 08:07 PM
drag racing is for wussies

at the end hes going to end up where he belongs- the V-board ( Spec V owners ), which is filled with nasty RICE material.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:35 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by soonerfan
here you go
damn I love it when part of my car (wheel) ends up in someone else's picture
Old 10-19-2004, 12:38 PM

I just bought one to try. So I basically just disconnect the brake booster connection and use that line for the Sea Foam?
Old 10-19-2004, 03:13 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Cumalot
I just bought one to try. So I basically just disconnect the brake booster connection and use that line for the Sea Foam?
yes

How to use it
4. Start car
6. Turn off the car
Old 10-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Soonerfan, pardon my ignorance but why use the brake line I don't get it.....?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:56 PM

Just did the Seafoam thing today. I put 1/2 of Seafoam in. I could tell right away the car runs smoother than before. I'm going to get another can to put in the gas tank. I'm going to save the 1/2 that's left in the current can for the crankcase until my next oil change, I just changed the oil last week. Don't want to go changing it again so soon.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:04 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Lontar1
Soonerfan, pardon my ignorance but why use the brake line I don't get it.....?
you need a vacuum line that feeds the manifold and all 6 cylinders. the two options are the brake booster line and PCV line. the brake one is just easier to get to

Quick Reply: Just cleaned intake manifold +++