Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Oil Cleanup - How do you clean your Oil change materials?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:25 PM

Oil Cleanup - How do you clean your Oil change materials?

Ive been wondering after a few oil changes what the best "eco friendly" method is to clean my oil change materials such as the oil pan, rags, funnel, etc. Specifically things that have oil residue remaining.

In the past, i have a area of my year full of gravel, i just rinse everything off in there. But i feel like its still bad to do it regardless if anything grows there, oil seeps through...

Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM

I'd like to know too!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Honestly, beyond recycling the oil what else can you do? Seems no matter what, as long as you dispose of the materials yourself and not take them to someone who recycles them, it's all the same thing...
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 PM

As long as you dispose of the volume of used oil properly, that's the best you can do from an environmental standpoint.

I thought this thread involved cleaning up the used motor oil that spills in the garage or on the driveway. This is particularly needed on concrete pavement -- the oil is not so visable on black top pavement. I have two answers for cleaning that spill after you have used a paper towel to wipe up as much as possible of this spilled oil:

- Use a good grade of paste hand cleaner (like Goop) and rub it in well into the oil spot on the pavement (do not wet the pavement first). Allow it to do its work for a few minutes and then hose it off with water -- the faster the water flow the better. Allow the area to thoroughly dry. If there is any remaining oil on the pavement, repeat the above steps again.

- For really tough (or old dried-on oil spots) use a can of starting fluid (ether). Spray the starting fluid on the oil spot and immediately begin rubbing the area with a cloth. Be certain there is ample ventilation so that you are not affected by the ether. Repeat this step as many times as needed to remove the spot.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:53 PM

if you mean how to clean funnels and crap like that

well= atf fluid funnels i throw out because i want those to be fresh and clean

oil change funnels= i usually just leave them on top of the milk jug and let it drain all the way out and then wipe it down with a few paper towels and toss those.

my oil pan i dont really change because no reason for it to be clean it just collects dirty oil. i just drain, shut closed and wait another 5 months. if you have one of those that don't close (open ones) you probably can just keep up the draining, and i think autozone has like some powder that absorbs motor oil
Old 09-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Just wanted to add, I used to clean the oil catch basin with a rag before putting it away. But for a while now I've been using a catch basin with a neck on it to empty it out, I'm able to position the basin vertically so that it gravity feeds into a can. I let it sit for a few hours and its basically perfectly empty, and there is no need to wipe it with a rag. Definitely makes a difference.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

pans and funnels, i just wipe them off with a clean cloth and let it drizzel off the remaining oil to a jug.

oil spots, i usually put some cardboard on the pavement while performing the change. if oil gets on the gravel, use lift sand to avoid spots.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
As long as you dispose of the volume of used oil properly, that's the best you can do from an environmental standpoint.

I thought this thread involved cleaning up the used motor oil that spills in the garage or on the driveway. This is particularly needed on concrete pavement -- the oil is not so visable on black top pavement. I have two answers for cleaning that spill after you have used a paper towel to wipe up as much as possible of this spilled oil:

- Use a good grade of paste hand cleaner (like Goop) and rub it in well into the oil spot on the pavement (do not wet the pavement first). Allow it to do its work for a few minutes and then hose it off with water -- the faster the water flow the better. Allow the area to thoroughly dry. If there is any remaining oil on the pavement, repeat the above steps again.

- For really tough (or old dried-on oil spots) use a can of starting fluid (ether). Spray the starting fluid on the oil spot and immediately begin rubbing the area with a cloth. Be certain there is ample ventilation so that you are not affected by the ether. Repeat this step as many times as needed to remove the spot.
This is a great answer. Worked in automotive service for 5 years.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:17 PM

Simple Green or orange cleaner.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:18 AM

Blue Dawn/water mix and paper towels.