Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Any alternative to K matic fluid for a auto 5 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any alternative to K matic fluid for a auto 5 speed?

I did read the tranny fluid sticky at the top of the page, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

This is on a 2005 AW55-51SN, 5 speed auto.

I just rebuilt the transmission, [and added a "zip kit" from Sonnax to the valve body], new clutches/steels, torque converter, etc.

Anyway I found out that this transmission fits many vehicles so on a Volvo forum I found where a chemist recommended using Amsoil multi-vehicle synthetic transmission fluid as in his opinion it was better then the Nissan K matic, for which the K matic is really expensive.

So, has anyone tried the Amsoil, and what did you think?

Also, I know these transmission has had problems with clogged solenoids, and with a stupid internal non serviceable filter I can see why. I added an external cooler, and filter to my tranny so hopefully my new $$$$$ soleniods will have a greater life.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:27 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

AMSOIL Synthetic ATF is a premium fluid and it will provide outstanding performance in the most severe operating conditions. I have used this product myself for the past 30 years with outstanding results and I sell a lot of it to our members and other customers across the US and Canada.

AMSOIL ATF is labeled as meeting/exceeding Matic D, J & K specs. AMSOIL Low Viscosity automatic transmission fluid (ATL) is also labeled as meeting/exceeding Matic S specs.

I have a Maxima.org Group Deal for all AMSOIL products including ATF. Here's a link to my post in the Group Deals/Sponsor's Forum: https://maxima.org/forums/group-deal...g-avail-3.html

Please send PM or e-mail direct for price quote. Wholesale pricing available on all products. Thx

Last edited by talkinghorse; 10-04-2015 at 05:33 AM.