Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Recommend a good but inexpensive jack

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:18 AM

Recommend a good but inexpensive jack

Hi all,

Right now I have a meager 2 ton jack from Costco which used to be adequate when I owned Maxima and Honda Accord. But now I have a Quest and Honda Pilot and this puny little jack is always maxed out.

Time to move onto a 3+ ton jack, but I would like to be able to still put it under sedans, so a purely SUV jack is not the option I would like to buy.

Tips welcome!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 PM

When I needed to upgrade to a more heavy duty jack, I found out that when you move into the 3 ton category the term inexpensive kind of goes out the window. Stay away from any jack that is aluminum or calls itself a racing jack. Those priced are crazy high.

The best price I could find was for a 3 ton Pittsburgh brand jack at Harbor Freight that cost around $85. However I cheaped out and bought a 2.5 ton jack from Sears for $59 that was on sale.

I reasoned that since the Lexus I bought weighed just over 4000 lbs (2 tons), jacking up just one corner of the beast would probably be no more than half, maybe less, than the total weight
Old 06-02-2017, 01:54 PM

There is a coupon on the HF home page for the 3 ton for $89.99. I've been using the older "orange" version of this for about 7 years now without issue.

It sure is handy to have two floor jacks when doing independent suspension work. So I would keep the 2 ton.

https://www.harborfreight.com/
Old 06-03-2017, 05:36 AM

How many strokes for 1' of lift? I am so tired of pumping the 2 ton jack, but read reviews on Amazon that even some 3 ton "SUV" jacks require lots of pumping too. My old mechanic had a jack which would lift about 1' in 2 strokes and I am envious now, but realizing that one would probably cost a fortune.