How long can I drive with warped rotors? What other damage can I incur? - Maxima Forums



General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

How long can I drive with warped rotors? What other damage can I incur?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2003, 07:48 AM   #1
Mod her. Ate her.
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
phenryiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 9,825
How long can I drive with warped rotors? What other damage can I incur?

I THINK that i have one or 2 warped rotors. MOney is tight, but I want to get them fixed. How long can I drive with them warped? One week? Two weeks? I don't want to drive on them like this for months, but I am strapped for cash until close to the first of the month. Can I go that long?

Also, please check these threads:
Brake noise from high speed...Help!
Ceramic or Metal Master Pads w/ Brembo CD rotors?

Thanks for the help, guys!
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:52 AM   #2
STFU n00b!
iTrader: (44)
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 18,091
you'll be fine. just don't drive like a maniac and you won't do any damage. many people drive for years on warped rotors because they're ignorant of the vibrations (or the cause of it anyway) and don't have the car looked at until the car won't start anymore.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 07:59 AM   #3
Mod her. Ate her.
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
phenryiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 9,825
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt93SE
you'll be fine. just don't drive like a maniac and you won't do any damage. many people drive for years on warped rotors because they're ignorant of the vibrations (or the cause of it anyway) and don't have the car looked at until the car won't start anymore.
Why would it not start?
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:13 AM   #4
STFU n00b!
iTrader: (44)
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 18,091
my point was that many people NEVER maintain their cars... all they do is put gas in it and drive. They drive them until they won't go anymore..

then they have it towed to a shop and spend $3000 in maintenance, then complain about how unreliable the car is because they didn't change the oil, coolant, brakes, tires, belts, etc etc etc..
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:21 AM   #5
Mod her. Ate her.
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
phenryiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 9,825
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt93SE
my point was that many people NEVER maintain their cars... all they do is put gas in it and drive. They drive them until they won't go anymore..

then they have it towed to a shop and spend $3000 in maintenance, then complain about how unreliable the car is because they didn't change the oil, coolant, brakes, tires, belts, etc etc etc..
I see. I should have picked up on your humor the first time!

So can I make it a month or so without doing damage to any OTHER components?
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 216
Actually, warped rotors have been linked to worn out calipers and bolts. Normally bolts wouldn't be an issue but in this case, if the bolts/calipers are badly worn, it could cause uneven movement and binding during brake application. Is this something that you need to be concerned about right now? No, but I wouldn't completely ignore it either. Rotors are cheap compared to having to replace rotors, calipers, and bolts.
Freedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 08:24 AM   #7
Senior Member
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,432
I drove on warped front rotors for several thousand miles before I got cross drilled/slotted Brembos.
Just make sure you put new pads on with the new or re-cut rotors. You should have no damage or problems.
araffio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:00 AM   #8
Mod her. Ate her.
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
phenryiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 9,825
Thanks for the input, guys. I may just get a set of used OEM rotors for now, then upgrade this summer when I can replace the pads and rotors w/ good pads and brembos.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 10:31 AM   #9
MUSCLE Biotch!!!
iTrader: (3)
 
deezo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: FV, NC
Posts: 14,275
Quote:
Originally posted by phenryiv1
Thanks for the input, guys. I may just get a set of used OEM rotors for now, then upgrade this summer when I can replace the pads and rotors w/ good pads and brembos.
If the vibration is really bad, it would add extra stress to your ball joints/tie rod ends but this would only happen over a long period of time.
deezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:05 AM   #10
STFU n00b!
iTrader: (44)
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Houston
Posts: 18,091
As everyone else said.. short term (couple weeks, a month or two) is no problem. after that, you will start having wear issues..


the slider pins on the caliper are the parts that will have the most problem. those guys should be checked when working on the brakes anyway.. as the rotor turns inside the caliper, the caliper floats on those pins.. if the rotor is warped, the caliper will "wobble" on those pins with the rotor. when you're driving 60, think of how fast those parts are moving around down there. It's reasonable to say they WILL wear out or cause problems with time, but for short term, it's nothing to worry about.


Your other option is to yank the rotors off on a saturday (or any other day for that matter) and take them to a parts store and have them turned. it'll cost about $20 and you'll be fine.. if the rotors are ready for replacement, tell them to turn them anyway so you can drive until you can get paid again and buy new rotors. they'll usually do it, but will whine and moan to you about safety.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 11:12 AM   #11
SLOW
iTrader: (23)
 
Nealoc187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: West burbs, Chicago
Posts: 14,641
Quote:
Originally posted by phenryiv1
Thanks for the input, guys. I may just get a set of used OEM rotors for now, then upgrade this summer when I can replace the pads and rotors w/ good pads and brembos.
You can get replacement rotors for $25-30 a piece from Autozone, Pepboys, etc. I've done this a few times while waiting for slotted rotors to come in if I had a race event prior to the arrival of my slotted rotors. At $25 a piece they are basically throw away equipment anyhow.
Nealoc187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 12:52 PM   #12
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 6,345
You can pick up new ones for fairly cheap at autozone like someone already mentioned. You could take them off and get them machined for about $10 each.
1MAX2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:04 PM   #13
Mod her. Ate her.
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
phenryiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 9,825
njmaxseltd offered me all 4 of his OEM rotors for a cheap price. They have less than 1/2 of the mileage that mine have, so I think I will go that route for now. When I get more money this summer I will do brembos. My wife offered to let me get the brembos now (no laughing!!!), but I am already in the hole because my struts are gone too, so I need to replace those. I can get by until summer on newer OEM rotors, so I think that that is the plan.

When i go to do the replacement, what do I need to go buy? A brake bleed kit, some emory cloth, new shims...what else?
Also, I have never worked on brakes before, but my father has replaced the brakes on his (original-owner) 1975 280Z, so I think that between the 2 we can figure it out.

Any tips?
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:06 PM   #14
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 6,345
You need some high temp grease and anti squeal goob. You can manual bleed if you have two people.
1MAX2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 01:34 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 47
How would one know if the rotors are warped or not?


Quote:
Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
You need some high temp grease and anti squeal goob. You can manual bleed if you have two people.
PsyKotiC RydeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 06:17 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,753
You'll feel the vibration through the steering wheel when you brake, and pretty much your whole car will shake if its bad. Usually it'll make a decent amount of noise also, like a pulsating humm.
ch13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 25
Never thought about the rotors causing extra stress on the calipers. Good point.
landover50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
Mod her. Ate her.
Thread Starter
iTrader: (19)
 
phenryiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 9,825
Wow, holy thread ressurection...
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #19
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Reedsport, OR
Posts: 3,949
wow 8 years?
asand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Columbus OhighO
Posts: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt93SE View Post
As everyone else said.. short term (couple weeks, a month or two) is no problem. after that, you will start having wear issues..


the slider pins on the caliper are the parts that will have the most problem. those guys should be checked when working on the brakes anyway.. as the rotor turns inside the caliper, the caliper floats on those pins.. if the rotor is warped, the caliper will "wobble" on those pins with the rotor. when you're driving 60, think of how fast those parts are moving around down there. It's reasonable to say they WILL wear out or cause problems with time, but for short term, it's nothing to worry about.


Your other option is to yank the rotors off on a saturday (or any other day for that matter) and take them to a parts store and have them turned. it'll cost about $20 and you'll be fine.. if the rotors are ready for replacement, tell them to turn them anyway so you can drive until you can get paid again and buy new rotors. they'll usually do it, but will whine and moan to you about safety.

I seem to disagree. Do not turn your rotors. this makes them even thinnner, and if the turn is a little out the rotors will continue to wobble, causing a vibration. You should go buy aftermarket rotors. Of high grade steel and never worry about them again.
dee.signs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM   #21
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 500
We've had worse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asand1 View Post
wow 8 years?
Tyutyunnik is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TX THE BlehmCo VE for sale... Matt93SE Maximas for Sale / Wanted 12 01-13-2016 10:34 AM
VA 2001 Canadian SE 20A homeyclaus Maximas for Sale / Wanted 1 09-03-2015 07:15 PM
MD Brembo Caliper Brackets $165 shipped $175 Powdercoated Cant_Get_Ryte 5th Generation Classifieds (2000-2003) 3 08-28-2015 07:41 AM
Rotor rubbing on rear caliper, new brakes. RealityCheck 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) 2 08-05-2015 07:18 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:08 PM.