General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Can I Fix Car Wash Scratches?

Old 03-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can I Fix Car Wash Scratches?

I just washed my car in a coin-operated car wash, and there are scratches all over my car now. I don't know how it happened!

My car is black, and I have all these scratches with the white primer showing through.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I just bought the car recently - 99 Maxima ES.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

People who care about their cars NEVER take them to automatic car washes! You learned the hard way, but atleast you learned right?

Get some 3M Rubbing Compound and Meguiar's Scratch-X and get to work on each set of scratches. After a day of using them and waxing 2 or 3 times, your car will look like if used too (or maybe even better). But beware when the wax wears off they're going to show again. Your second option is to go to a professional who can buff them out, but it will cost you a pretty penny. Good luck and I hope it turns out well!
-Cyrus
Old 03-11-2003, 01:27 PM

i care about my car and take it to touchless car washes.. 4 bucks = perfect clean no scratches...
Old 03-11-2003, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the suggestions.

The weird part is that it wasn't an automatic car wash. It was one of those ones where you spray it and brush the car yourself.

I think the foaming brush must have had some pebbles or something stuck in it... Maybe I brushed too hard?

This is my first good car, so I've never had to worry too much before. But I never scratched my old Stanza...

Jeff
Old 03-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
i care about my car and take it to touchless car washes.. 4 bucks = perfect clean no scratches...
Hey where do you get that done anyways I gotta wash my bish when i get back to Bryant.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:35 PM

The easieast way to fix it is to go back there, tell them their equipment did this to your car and demand a check or threaten to litigate.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by MaximaRider

Hey where do you get that done anyways I gotta wash my bish when i get back to Bryant.
thats cheap. i pay at least $7 at my gas stations.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:39 PM
GoldenGlory

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
@ least u fit in them

im dropped with stillen lip on

i wont clear the bars

Old 03-12-2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by jlloyd

The weird part is that it wasn't an automatic car wash. It was one of those ones where you spray it and brush the car yourself.

I think the foaming brush must have had some pebbles or something stuck in it... Maybe I brushed too hard?

This is my first good car, so I've never had to worry too much before. But I never scratched my old Stanza...

Jeff
Uh, lets see: You went to a self car wash, used the high pressure wand, or brush, and now your primer is showing??

You're screwed, Dude. Your paint is a gonner. Big Bummer. If you had gone to an automated car wash, they might be responsible, or your insurance. But since you did it yourself,,,,.

I would cry. Really.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:52 AM

Jeff
Don't use the brush there! Sometimes people use it on their wheels, brake dust is a no no ! I have seen alot of people doing some bad things to that brush, like cleaning the bottom of their car! That's why i just pay for the water there, i have my own brush and bucket.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by looney662

Don't use the brush there! Sometimes people use it on their wheels, brake dust is a no no ! I have seen alot of people doing some bad things to that brush, like cleaning the bottom of their car! That's why i just pay for the water there, i have my own brush and bucket.
I was thinking about doing that... That sounds like the safest thing to do.

I'm curious: How do you dry it afterwards? Do you bring a bunch of towels with you?

The problem here in Toronto is that it is bloody cold this time of year, so you don't want to stand out and wash your car. But I find that touchless car washes don't fully clean a black car that has been covered in salt from the roads...

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:10 PM

I was thinking about doing that... That sounds like the safest thing to do.

I'm curious: How do you dry it afterwards? Do you bring a bunch of towels with you?

The problem here in Toronto is that it is bloody cold this time of year, so you don't want to stand out and wash your car. But I find that touchless car washes don't fully clean a black car that has been covered in salt from the roads...

Thanks for the help.
Go to your local auto parts store and get something called "The Absorber" it's cheap ($9.99) and it get's the job done right!
Old 03-12-2003, 03:22 PM

Oh! so you like getting the wax blown right off your paint? You like how they make a paint chip twice the size after the paint peels back from that high pressure water?