General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Opinion on Tein SS Coilovers

Old 12-23-2003, 04:06 AM

Opinion on Tein SS Coilovers

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT LOOK IN THE 5TH GEN FORUM

I currently have the Eibach and Tokico set up on my car. Other suspension mods include FSTB, RSB, Warpspeed Stage I&II, GT Fab Lower Control arm brace (A32 Chassis modified to fit A33). Given that the chassis is so stiff, I still am not pleased with the handling esp the steering response. I do quite a few track events (road course only) so i've been thinking of switching to a better suspension set up and am thinking of getting the TEIN SS Coilovers. I'm going with Tein rather than JIC as they appear to be more reasonable (quite a few hundred $$$ less). But feel free to let me know ur thoughts on both.

Now would you guys recommend that i switch to coilovers? If so, let me know what area i am going to notice the most significant improvent in:
1. Ride quality (stiff or less than the current setup). i personally don't care if the ride gets stiffer.
2. Handling
3. Sharper/Crisper steering response (i want to get rid of that boat like feel from the steering). Also for ppl with the Tein setup, how does ur steering feel?
4. Ride height (how much lower is the ride going to get)

#3 is the what i'm honestly trying to fix. I know tires have a lot to do with the steering feel and i have Nitto 555s. Are the side walls not stiff enough on those?

Now, Is the improvement over my current set up going to be well worth dishing out $1100?

Feel free to add any additional insights. Thanks in advance.

btw if i go the coilover route, i will be selling the Eibach and Tokico combo. PM me or just reply to this if there's anyone interested. Otherwise I will post in the For sale forum once i've decided.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Smokin' X-press
FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT LOOK IN THE 5TH GEN FORUM

I currently have the Eibach and Tokico set up on my car. Other suspension mods include FSTB, RSB, Warpspeed Stage I&II, GT Fab Lower Control arm brace (A32 Chassis modified to fit A33). Given that the chassis is so stiff, I still am not pleased with the handling esp the steering response. I do quite a few track events (road course only) so i've been thinking of switching to a better suspension set up and am thinking of getting the TEIN SS Coilovers. I'm going with Tein rather than JIC as they appear to be more reasonable (quite a few hundred $$$ less). But feel free to let me know ur thoughts on both.

Now would you guys recommend that i switch to coilovers? If so, let me know what area i am going to notice the most significant improvent in:
1. Ride quality (stiff or less than the current setup). i personally don't care if the ride gets stiffer.
2. Handling
3. Sharper/Crisper steering response (i want to get rid of that boat like feel from the steering). Also for ppl with the Tein setup, how does ur steering feel?
4. Ride height (how much lower is the ride going to get)

#3 is the what i'm honestly trying to fix. I know tires have a lot to do with the steering feel and i have Nitto 555s. Are the side walls not stiff enough on those?

Now, Is the improvement over my current set up going to be well worth dishing out $1100?

Feel free to add any additional insights. Thanks in advance.

btw if i go the coilover route, i will be selling the Eibach and Tokico combo. PM me or just reply to this if there's anyone interested. Otherwise I will post in the For sale forum once i've decided.
That's quite a suspension setup you have already. And you still have the boat feeling? Isn't that feeling usually from body roll/dive and not so much the actually steering components? The Eibachs aren't bad so I think it's your struts being to soft for the application. Coilovers and maybe a slightly more aggressive alignment will help. Skip the Tein SS as they're not adjustable for your needs. Go with the better Tein or the JIC's instead.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
That's quite a suspension setup you have already. And you still have the boat feeling? Isn't that feeling usually from body roll/dive and not so much the actually steering components? The Eibachs aren't bad so I think it's your struts being to soft for the application. Coilovers and maybe a slightly more aggressive alignment will help. Skip the Tein SS as they're not adjustable for your needs. Go with the better Tein or the JIC's instead.

Thanks for ur reply. What i meant by the boat feeling was that the steering response is not as sharp and crisp as i would like it. The chassis is solid...no body roll whatsoever. Also i thought the Tein SS were height and damper adjustable so i'm not sure why you're saying they're not adjustable for my needs. if i can get away with putting a better strut...i'll go that route as it will be cheaper, but i want to be a 100% sure before i spend any money
Old 12-23-2003, 08:14 AM
Oh hi....

i can speak for having the JICs. Steering is much crisper, ride quality is stiffer than stock, but i have a fat *** and don't notice it too much. The road feel is great, i can feel every nuance in the road, bump steer sometimes is a problem though. I went from stock straight to the JICs and my sway bar isn't even on yet. But the diff is light yeras apart. Steering response is dreamyi feel the car as an extension of myself sometimes, much like a higher end sports car. I'm only talking about the steering response in that last sentence, no flaming please. As for ride height, i'm not sure what hte minimum lowering is, I believe its 3/4 inch lowered, you can drop it way low however. Mine fore example is now an even 24 1/8 inches from concrete to top of the wheel well, i don't have too many good pics but chech my cardomain homepage.

Peace Woo Woo
Kev