General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sylvania, or Philips.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000, 10:36 AM

I have the phillips 9004 Blue Visions, they are actually very white and brighter than stock and seem to be a vast improvement over stock. has anyone compared these to the sylvania cool blue's? Any feedback on those would be nice. I don't want the "blue HID wannabe" blubs some people have because they seem to be cheap and actually decrease visualization, and I cant afford piaa's so should I keep the philips or go for the sylvania's? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2000, 10:41 AM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Nine7Max
I have the phillips 9004 Blue Visions, they are actually very white and brighter than stock and seem to be a vast improvement over stock. has anyone compared these to the sylvania cool blue's? Any feedback on those would be nice. I don't want the "blue HID wannabe" blubs some people have because they seem to be cheap and actually decrease visualization, and I cant afford piaa's so should I keep the philips or go for the sylvania's? Thanks!
Cool blues work ok... but word of advise, lights are just lights... unless you go higher wattage, you really won't notice that much. Also it seems like with the higher color temperature, people always seem to think they are "brighter", but let me assure your, they don't put out the same ammount of light at the same wattage.. think about it, there is a layer of tint over it to change the color... What I am saying is save your money.. unless you go true HID, you won't get much improvement, which is what you appear to be donig, now if you want looks, then yeah, I can't say much about that... I've done all this light testing stuff before... ended up sticking with the PIAAs. Now having siad that, one light I would try is the Hella ones, http://www.rallylights.com, the ones near the bottom of the page... they don't use tint, but it uses blue quarts to make the glass...
Old 10-09-2000, 11:49 AM

Shing

these are 9004 bulbs for the headlights? Do they provide better light at the same 55wattage as the piaas? I haven't been too satisfied with the Pias, considering that they cost almost 70 for the pair.
=)thanks

Brian
Old 10-09-2000, 11:51 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

the cool blues are nice. theyre not that white tho. much whiter that stock, but they still look pretty yellowish to me. it runs on stock wattage and visibility is definitely improved.
Old 10-09-2000, 11:53 AM
The missing moderator

Re: Shing

Originally posted by humaras
these are 9004 bulbs for the headlights? Do they provide better light at the same 55wattage as the piaas? I haven't been too satisfied with the Pias, considering that they cost almost 70 for the pair.
=)thanks

Brian
Yes they are 9004s... I think their site is down right now, DB problems... anyhow, 9004 is pretty crappy for a headlight design. But I think the Hellas would be good. After all, hellas usually make pretty decent lighting stuff.

-Shing
Old 10-12-2000, 12:26 PM

Hella ones, http://www.rallylights.com, the ones near the bottom of the page... they don't use tint, but it uses blue quarts to make the glass... [/I][/QUOTE]
what are the names of these hella bulbs that you are talking about? are they the optilux ones?