General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Instructions on installing the rear def winshield

Old 03-13-2009, 04:27 PM

Instructions on installing the rear def winshield

I was thinking about changing out my rear window because the rear window windshield Is not working. I will clearly like to know what should I do and what tools will I use. What parts of the car will I have to remove interior and exterior wise.
Thank you.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 PM

You mean the defrosting elements? But I imagine its going to be a tough process, probably requiring two people. But hope you get your answers soon! I really want to know this too.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1. you have to remove the rear interior "C" pillar trims.
2. disconnect the wires that hook up to the glass heating elements (and antenna if applicable)
3. with a long hand utility knife (LOOK HERE), cut the windshield urethane
-cut as close to the frame of the car to get most of the urethane in one step
-i spray some windex all around the inside of glass on the urethane to help the blade slice through a bit easier
4. remove back glass
5. clean up any left over urethane
6. apply special primer (sometimes a one step, other times a two part system depending on what you use)
7. prepare the glass you are setting in
8. apply a nice 1/4 inch bead of windshield urethane around the perimeter of the opening
9. with someone help, set the new glass in and align it.
-if installing new glass, it probably comes with the reveal moulding
-for used glass, you might need to purchase a new reveal moulding that usually runs around $60 at the dealership
10. reconnect wires
11. reinstall trim

I would not recommend this for someone who has not done this or at least seen it done before.

Cutting the glass out is somewhat difficult especially if it has been re glued before
If you're getting rid of the glass, maybe just break it to avoid to have to cut it.

also, check with your local glass shop, in my area, some glass shops can cut your glass out and install your new glass for about $60-100 (depending who does it)

Good luck and hope this hekps.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:49 PM

I've called up the dealership and asked the price on my windshield and they told me that it is going to be $700 for just the glass and for the installation is around $300-$600= a whopping $1000+ job. I am going to go somewhere better like a banner glass or a carlite. I have another question Is banner glass good and is there glass O.E.M. like as they are telling me.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Why don't you simply repair the rear defroster? It's actually pretty easy to do.
Find the break with a multi meter and then get a repair kit or just use a solder iron and bridge it back together. Once the circuit is complete again, your defroster will work.

Much easier and much cheaper to do.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by nsnrider
1. you have to remove the rear interior "C" pillar trims.
2. disconnect the wires that hook up to the glass heating elements (and antenna if applicable)
3. with a long hand utility knife (LOOK HERE), cut the windshield urethane
-cut as close to the frame of the car to get most of the urethane in one step
-i spray some windex all around the inside of glass on the urethane to help the blade slice through a bit easier
4. remove back glass
5. clean up any left over urethane
6. apply special primer (sometimes a one step, other times a two part system depending on what you use)
7. prepare the glass you are setting in
8. apply a nice 1/4 inch bead of windshield urethane around the perimeter of the opening
9. with someone help, set the new glass in and align it.
-if installing new glass, it probably comes with the reveal moulding
-for used glass, you might need to purchase a new reveal moulding that usually runs around $60 at the dealership
10. reconnect wires
11. reinstall trim

I would not recommend this for someone who has not done this or at least seen it done before.

Cutting the glass out is somewhat difficult especially if it has been re glued before
If you're getting rid of the glass, maybe just break it to avoid to have to cut it.

also, check with your local glass shop, in my area, some glass shops can cut your glass out and install your new glass for about $60-100 (depending who does it)

Good luck and hope this hekps.
wouldn't using a the wire to cut through the sealant be a little easier?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Why don't you simply repair the rear defroster? It's actually pretty easy to do.
Find the break with a multi meter and then get a repair kit or just use a solder iron and bridge it back together. Once the circuit is complete again, your defroster will work.

Much easier and much cheaper to do.
I tried fixing the lines but the lines are completly shaved off the window,so I will have to replace the window.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I tried fixing the lines but the lines are completly shaved off the window,so I will have to replace the window.
You can also buy a replacement heating element, cut it to size and apply it.