General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

bad VQ30/VQ30DE videos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM

bad VQ30/VQ30DE videos?

i wanna find some videos of some bad VQ30/DEs, don't care what they're in. just wanna hear what a BUILT VQ30DE would sound like. did some searching on YT and saw supercharged but, they sounded hum with the stock exhaust.

i know they sell cranks, rods and cams for the VQ30 series. there has to be some videos of modifieds some where.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:10 AM

Tried YouTube yet?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:27 PM

Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Tried YouTube yet?
nothing with a serious scream yet. so far just milf stuff.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:25 AM

Insert Micheal Jackson popcorn gif.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
just milf stuff.
link?
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
link?
lololol I did mean to say MILD. SO far just really healthy sounding engines.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:03 PM

ALMOST found one so far.

BUT, it's 3.5 and not a 3.0

EDIT: seems i can only find built 3.5s. this is one is OKAY,

it sounds almost like they are holding back on the revs.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 06-02-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:58 AM

Old 06-25-2015, 09:27 AM

What a pointless thread. lemme dust off an old video from years ago:

And here is another one:

they are not hard to find really, but hardly anybody builds VQ30s with the VQ35 being around and having much better parts and potential.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM

What you want is only accomplished when there is something wrong at idle.

Other than that, a VQ can only sound aggressive via intake modifications (EG. Idividual Throttle Bodies ), a V6 running correctly will never.... ever.... have a mean idle.

Run a VQ w/o an intake manifold, you'll see what I mean....

Ever notice how all similar setup V6's sound about the same? (90 degree, DOHC..... blah blah blah)

Last edited by aackshun; 06-25-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:24 PM

Camming hard.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:24 AM
Boosted Panda

Ironlung had a cammed Maxima

Old 08-24-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Ironlung had a cammed Maxima

That thing sounds good. Nobody has really done a build like him though.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
i wanna find some videos of some bad VQ30/DEs, don't care what they're in. just wanna hear what a BUILT VQ30DE would sound like. did some searching on YT and saw supercharged but, they sounded hum with the stock exhaust.

i know they sell cranks, rods and cams for the VQ30 series. there has to be some videos of modifieds some where.

RODS for a VQ30 WHERE, I NEEDS those......

the VQ30DE only came in like two cars in the US, and have very little aftermarket support, but the people in the 5th gen area have done a few things, but then the 35 swaps took over....
Old 08-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by vernk
RODS for a VQ30 WHERE, I NEEDS those......

the VQ30DE only came in like two cars in the US, and have very little aftermarket support, but the people in the 5th gen area have done a few things, but then the 35 swaps took over....
Have to be custom made
Old 08-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Have to be custom made
yea I know, forgot sarcasm font..... I did find a place that would do it but at like 200-250 each.... kinda funny you talk to some of the people and say VQ30de and the start listing stuff for 35s and then you have to tell them NO for the 30 so they start listing stuff for a VG..... the poor VQ30DE a engine no one cares about other then Maxima people almost as bad a VE.....
Old 08-28-2015, 10:40 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

the poor VQ30DE a engine no one cares about other then Maxima people almost as bad a VE.....
Us VE guys can just use TTZ rods and pistons. Which is how I have forged Wiseco pistons and forged Eagle rods in my VE.

So is the VQ almost as bad as the VE or is it the other way around?
Old 08-28-2015, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Us VE guys can just use TTZ rods and pistons. Which is how I have forged Wiseco pistons and forged Eagle rods in my VE.

So is the VQ almost as bad as the VE or is it the other way around?
well there is that, I thought that could be done since the VE is just a VG with a VQ top end but wasn't 100% so didn't mention that..... but yea the VQ30 has to be one of the most odd ball engines that Nissan put out in the last 15-20 years, then if you throw in the VQ30DETT which is a odd ball VQ30 with larger mains (which might be the same size as the HR) from what I have read.....
Old 08-28-2015, 04:37 PM

well there is that, I thought that could be done since the VE is just a VG with a VQ top end but wasn't 100% so didn't mention that..... but yea the VQ30 has to be one of the most odd ball engines that Nissan put out in the last 15-20 years, then if you throw in the VQ30DETT which is a odd ball VQ30 with larger mains (which might be the same size as the HR) from what I have read.....
That's a misnomer that the VE is "just a VG with a VQ top end" but, I mean, broadly speaking I guess I can somewhat see that. A lot of people actually think the VE is "the 300zx engine". I remember back in the mid 90's when my parents bought a '92 VE, the dealership/salesman actually flat out told my parents the car "has the 300z engine in it". He wasn't trying to pull a fast one or anything, a lot of people just mistakenly think that for some reason.

The VE is is similar to the TTZ, but not exactly identical. The VE and Z rods are identical (same OEM part number and everything). The Z pistons aren't technically identical, but they do drop right into the VE, and lower compression TTZ pistons give the same compression in the VE (i.e., 8.5:1 TTZ pistons = 8.5:1 in the VE). I've even got ARP TTZ main stud and head studs in my VE.

I've always been a bit envious of the general aftermarket support for the 4th gen (internals aside). I do feel pretty darn lucky that the Z "beef up" goodies fit right in though. I guess that's one quirk/advantage of the rare and not-very-well known VE. A lot of parts catalogs/places don't even LIST the VE in their catalogs.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:53 PM

meh the same argument can technically be made for the VQ30 with the DET rotating assembly. and it has pretty strong internals no real need to go beyond them unless you want to make som drag monster but at that point......just swap a 3.5 and build that. Then plethora of parts that you can essentially just bolt on the 3.0 from the 3.5 and others. I dunno what VEs do as far as cams and head building is concerned since the VE head is unique to the maxima.

The VQ35 really just>>>>>>other nissan 3.0s thats why nobody bothers to builds 3.0s anymore. its so pointless these days especially looking at swapping, those +09 maxima motors. you can build an NA 3.0 hopefully to make around 270whp, then here comes somebody with a basically stock 09 motor and makes 280-290whp and spent only half as much money. Same thing happens with boost.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:02 PM

That's a misnomer that the VE is "just a VG with a VQ top end" but, I mean, broadly speaking I guess I can somewhat see that. A lot of people actually think the VE is "the 300zx engine". I remember back in the mid 90's when my parents bought a '92 VE, the dealership/salesman actually flat out told my parents the car "has the 300z engine in it". He wasn't trying to pull a fast one or anything, a lot of people just mistakenly think that for some reason.

The VE is is similar to the TTZ, but not exactly identical. The VE and Z rods are identical (same OEM part number and everything). The Z pistons aren't technically identical, but they do drop right into the VE, and lower compression TTZ pistons give the same compression in the VE (i.e., 8.5:1 TTZ pistons = 8.5:1 in the VE). I've even got ARP TTZ main stud and head studs in my VE.

I've always been a bit envious of the general aftermarket support for the 4th gen (internals aside). I do feel pretty darn lucky that the Z "beef up" goodies fit right in though. I guess that's one quirk/advantage of the rare and not-very-well known VE. A lot of parts catalogs/places don't even LIST the VE in their catalogs.
the only reason I say that is due to the fact that it has the same bottom end as a VG but the heads are closer to the VQ= timing chain, oil driven variable valve, 4 valves a cylinder...... so it's like they took the heads they were working on for the VQ and tried them on the lower end of the VG for a couple years before switching the bottom end. I do wonder if the VQ cams will work in a VE.....
Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
meh the same argument can technically be made for the VQ30 with the DET rotating assembly. and it has pretty strong internals no real need to go beyond them unless you want to make som drag monster but at that point......just swap a 3.5 and build that. Then plethora of parts that you can essentially just bolt on the 3.0 from the 3.5 and others. I dunno what VEs do as far as cams and head building is concerned since the VE head is unique to the maxima.

The VQ35 really just>>>>>>other nissan 3.0s thats why nobody bothers to builds 3.0s anymore. its so pointless these days especially looking at swapping, those +09 maxima motors. you can build an NA 3.0 hopefully to make around 270whp, then here comes somebody with a basically stock 09 motor and makes 280-290whp and spent only half as much money. Same thing happens with boost.
doesn't the VQ30DET have larger mains and have to have the crank turned down to fit into a VQ30DE block? I know it has been done but I think that was a large part of the price of that engine build, I have read though a bunch of stuff so might have my info mess up..... but yea the 35 swaps and builds kinda took any chance of it becoming worth it for companys to make up grades for 30 internals, plus it's not like they put it in any cars that a large group would have one they want to make big power out of....
Old 08-28-2015, 08:57 PM

the only reason I say that is due to the fact that it has the same bottom end as a VG but the heads are closer to the VQ= timing chain, oil driven variable valve, 4 valves a cylinder...... so it's like they took the heads they were working on for the VQ and tried them on the lower end of the VG for a couple years before switching the bottom end. I do wonder if the VQ cams will work in a VE.....
But it doesn't have the same bottom end. The only thing that's the same is the rods. Crank, block, pistons, everything else is different. The pistons and some of the studs "fit" the VE yes but they aren't the same. I mean the VE and VG are straight up separate engines (including bottom ends). I really don't get why you're saying they're the same. That's like saying the Honda D series engines are "the same" bottom end as the Suzuki Vitara engines just because the Vitara pistons fit the Honda.

Don't get me wrong, the VQ has proven to be a reliable workhorse and is a wonderful and reliable engine. I'm definitely not trying to argue VE vs VQ.

But it's not at all accurate to say Nissan was "trying out" the VQ top end when it built the VE. On the contrary, the VE was absolutely, for their respective times, vastly more sophisticated/elegant than the VQ. Simply put, VG to VE was a monumental step for Nissan in terms of modernity (DOHC dstributorless coil on plug etc). The VQ was then simply a iterative step from the VE (with some reliability/cost-cutting measures included - i.e., getting rid of the VTC's) but it most definitely was not merely produced as an afterthought to "try out" the VQ design.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:48 AM

But it doesn't have the same bottom end. The only thing that's the same is the rods. Crank, block, pistons, everything else is different. The pistons and some of the studs "fit" the VE yes but they aren't the same. I mean the VE and VG are straight up separate engines (including bottom ends). I really don't get why you're saying they're the same. That's like saying the Honda D series engines are "the same" bottom end as the Suzuki Vitara engines just because the Vitara pistons fit the Honda.

Don't get me wrong, the VQ has proven to be a reliable workhorse and is a wonderful and reliable engine. I'm definitely not trying to argue VE vs VQ.

But it's not at all accurate to say Nissan was "trying out" the VQ top end when it built the VE. On the contrary, the VE was absolutely, for their respective times, vastly more sophisticated/elegant than the VQ. Simply put, VG to VE was a monumental step for Nissan in terms of modernity (DOHC dstributorless coil on plug etc). The VQ was then simply a iterative step from the VE (with some reliability/cost-cutting measures included - i.e., getting rid of the VTC's) but it most definitely was not merely produced as an afterthought to "try out" the VQ design.
And bell housing bolt pattern from what I have read.... but from what I know the VE is the first V6 that they used a chain instead of the belt for cam drive...... as far as cost cutting by going all Aluminum I would disagree and the VG30DE had coil on plug so the VE wasn't the first for that.....

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the VE it was a interesting step in the evolution of Nissan engines, we had the VG30E for like 20 years then the a nice little baby step to the VG30DE which they did the duel cams and coil on plug, then the VE as another baby step with chain driven cams then drop the VQ which got all the goodies then once you get to VQ goes from the DE to the HR with off shoots such as the VHR. All which have small changes here and there, although some changes are not so little, like HR having bigger mains and latter bottom. There has always been kind of a cross over in parts even going back the L, Z and Ka engines. you can take a Z block and put L heads on it type stuff....

but yea finding a built VQ30DE could be hard to find other then whats been posted on this forum I know there are some sand rails that have used the VQ30 but not much with full on builds the parts are just not out there unless you have them made and not many people are going to drop that much to build a engine that just came in a FWD car in the US (VQ30DETT never came here) your better off looking for a L/Z engine videos if you are looking to burn some time......
Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 PM

And bell housing bolt pattern from what I have read.... but from what I know the VE is the first V6 that they used a chain instead of the belt for cam drive...... as far as cost cutting by going all Aluminum I would disagree and the VG30DE had coil on plug so the VE wasn't the first for that.....

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the VE it was a interesting step in the evolution of Nissan engines, we had the VG30E for like 20 years then the a nice little baby step to the VG30DE which they did the duel cams and coil on plug, then the VE as another baby step with chain driven cams then drop the VQ which got all the goodies then once you get to VQ goes from the DE to the HR with off shoots such as the VHR. All which have small changes here and there, although some changes are not so little, like HR having bigger mains and latter bottom. There has always been kind of a cross over in parts even going back the L, Z and Ka engines. you can take a Z block and put L heads on it type stuff....

but yea finding a built VQ30DE could be hard to find other then whats been posted on this forum I know there are some sand rails that have used the VQ30 but not much with full on builds the parts are just not out there unless you have them made and not many people are going to drop that much to build a engine that just came in a FWD car in the US (VQ30DETT never came here) your better off looking for a L/Z engine videos if you are looking to burn some time......
The VQ was a cheaper motor to manufacture than the VG, thats the exclusive reason every Nissan has a VQ these days. Cost is what killed off the VG, and with the VG went any hopes of a second VE.

The VQ30DETT didnt come in any street car, that was a pure race motor lol. Now the VQ30DET found its way into a few cars and they could put down some serious HP
Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 PM

The VQ was a cheaper motor to manufacture than the VG, thats the exclusive reason every Nissan has a VQ these days. Cost is what killed off the VG, and with the VG went any hopes of a second VE.

The VQ30DETT didnt come in any street car, that was a pure race motor lol. Now the VQ30DET found its way into a few cars and they could put down some serious HP
I still don't think it's cheaper cast Al over stamped metal for front cover, cast Al vs cast Fe, 4 cams over 2, chain vs belt, muti coil vs single coil, different cast for different applications (FWD vs RWD)..... I could be wrong but I think it was just more of a more modern engine..... but then again you do lose some machine time with going with a sleeve.....I think if they were really going for money savings they would have stayed with the engine they had been using for 20 years that had worked very well and even had a variant that was a DE with minimal changes to the block.. Nissan doesn't use cheep metal to start with, recently had some welding done on a bell housing and the guy doing the work was surprised at the quality of the cast....

Right hit the T once to much, my bad
Old 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM

The japanese period have never really cheaped out on the materials they use to build their powertrains its what they hang their hat on reliability and you really notice when you start trying to buy replacement parts for japanese cars vs others. Our parts are vastly more expensive. So in that regard i am not surprised even one bit.

im not sure how they managed to produce the VQ for cheaper but it was the cheaper engine to manufacture. It was noted that was the main reason for switching to the VQ.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:10 PM

The japanese period have never really cheaped out on the materials they use to build their powertrains its what they hang their hat on reliability and you really notice when you start trying to buy replacement parts for japanese cars vs others. Our parts are vastly more expensive. So in that regard i am not surprised even one bit.

im not sure how they managed to produce the VQ for cheaper but it was the cheaper engine to manufacture. It was noted that was the main reason for switching to the VQ.
yea the old school guy doing the work is use to working on chevy/ford stuff, mentioned air bubbles and such, I didn't say it but was thinking yea highly unlikely on this.......

yea not sure how the books worked on that unless the price of a high nickel content iron adds a lot of cost, but the amount of machining went way up going with that cast Al front cover the whole back of it needs machining any place it mates with a surface along with the areas for the covers and the oil passage for the VTC, but on the other side of that things like the sleeves being able to be turned on a smaller machine and things like that would drop cost a little..... but then again maybe if you factor in the jump to beam rear axle and the first time the maxima came with steel rims (4th gen) over all cost for the car went down.