General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

lost key -> locksmith -> now original key dont turn in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

lost key -> locksmith -> now original key dont turn in ignition

So this is the beginning of the problem.
I was moving and I lost my one and only key in my stuff. As I wanted to have my car to move. I called locksmith as I was running out of time.
one hour he tried. wiggling get and try to make a key. He could not make a key. He left.
After when I unpack my stuff. I found my original key and now my original key wont turn in key hole. If goes in and just dont turn ...
Yeah I have tried rotating the streeing wheel. but nothing.
It just dont turn at all.
I am guess that locksmith has messed up my keyhole. As it happening first time to me. I dont know.
Does anyone have any idea.. What is possible reason.
any pointer would be helpful.
Thanks for reading.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:35 PM

Your ignition is jammed and the locksmith broke it most likely. Call the company explain the situation they should pay for the repair. Most locksmiths can make a key based of your VIN so there should have been no issue but as luck would have it.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Your ignition is jammed and the locksmith broke it most likely. Call the company explain the situation they should pay for the repair. Most locksmiths can make a key based of your VIN so there should have been no issue but as luck would have it.
They are not taking responsibility. They are saying we didnt do it.
That lock smith was last person who sat on my driving seat and used ignition.

What do you think are my prospect now. All they are saying that ignition needs to be changed and they are asking me $400 dollors. I am not from Unites States. I work over here so I dont have much idea what I can do.
Please give me some pointers.
Thanks in advance
Old 08-17-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by alixc
They are not taking responsibility. They are saying we didnt do it.
That lock smith was last person who sat on my driving seat and used ignition.

What do you think are my prospect now. All they are saying that ignition needs to be changed and they are asking me $400 dollors. I am not from Unites States. I work over here so I dont have much idea what I can do.
Please give me some pointers.
Thanks in advance
Right now if you absolutely need your car the only thing you can do is just pay them or someone else to fix the problem, i suggest get somebody else so they can look at your ignition and give you a second opinion on what happened. You can yell and scream but it probably will not get you much of anywhere. Right now the best thing to do is document the problem. Write down date and time, everything that you can remember happened. And why you called the locksmith in the first place.

The next thing to do is to get intouch with that state's attorney general which ever state your in and explain the problem with him/her, dates times and why you called that company and after that report the problem to the BBB(Better Business Bureau). You can definitely get the money refunded to you. But the Attorney General will give you the best advice on what to do next. Most definitely shoot their office a call usually the call back with in an hour maybe 2 at most. Your definitely not with your back against the wall their are still options you just have to know who and where to go too. Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:02 PM

Good luck, since locksmith can not be held accountable since you did initiated the call to have them mess with your ignition key, so now you have a set of new problem just created by a broken ignition cylinder, that you have to replace the whole thing including the key need to be reprogram for the ECM to accept the new key and ignition cylinder which gonna set you back big $#$$$
Old 03-21-2017, 12:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

For such kind of problem you need to pay them for it because Locksmith now will not be able to help you anymore. They are the one which can replace the ignition.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Father of the 00 VI

what year car? that would help us help you. And that stuff i would pick up in a junk yard. and people on here in the classifies will sell you what you need . just ask
Old 08-11-2020, 07:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I never face the trouble of losing car keys but i locked keys in car many times and spares helped me in getting the car keys back and unlocking the door.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by EliOwen
I never face the trouble of losing car keys but i locked keys in car many times and spares helped me in getting the car keys back and unlocking the door.
Great story, thanks for sharing.