General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

New here ( why maximas get no love )

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 08:09 PM

If you think a maxima is expensive to mod... just stop.

It is insanely cheap to mod. It's knowledge and being able to find the parts that's hard.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by litch
If you think a maxima is expensive to mod... just stop.

It is insanely cheap to mod. It's knowledge and being able to find the parts that's hard.
yes exactly, its just against the grain pain in the butt w little to none plug and play mods
Old 10-17-2016, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I still love my 5.5.. just gotta give her the oil she craves every 1k or so and we're straight
Old 10-18-2016, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
put the crack pipe down son.
what's your sample side of german cars?!!? ONE? ONE effin BMW that you own that you picked up used. yeah a broken watch is right twice a day. please man.

Audi
S4 that have motors that blow up (cam chain...yah the one in the back)
S6 they are giving away these cars b/c you'll need to drop the entire motor to get to a part in the back that frequent repair.

VW...i don't really consider these as "german" but it's known that the only thing that works perfectly is their check engine light.

BMW
M5 yup spun bearings if you don't change the oil at exactly the second the car needs it. SMG...wheeeeee...5k to 8K for repair that gem of a transmission...and no...it's just the shifting/clutch part. not the actual transmission internals.
E46 yah subframe.
E90/E92 talk to me about how "reliable" is their direct injection system is with constant failed fuel components.

Mercedes
honestly i can't say much about these since i don't have much first hand experience but during the time chrysler owned them they made some really iffy vehicles.

here's the reality...these are good cars that drives great when they are running. many of the owners will over look the repairs because hey...when it's running it drives so well they feel it's just the admission price. so when people ask...how reliable is their car...they say it's pretty good. they only had a few parts that needed to be changed. of course there's cars that came out of the factory perfect fine for 100000000 miles but the percentage of these cars that come out from the factory w/o needed repairs (outside of the usual stuff) is lower than say a toyota product. also a downer is parts are more money. sure aftermarket german parts are cheaper because there's an aftermarket company that's making them...like febi or mahle, etc etc (no you don't want to stick a BS parts in your german cars...trust me). the issue is that audi uses like 6 control arms in their front suspension that it costs you almost grand to replace them. yup they have to be $$$ aluminum because steel is for common folks...LOL.

one thing that krusher got right is that it takes specialized tools to work on german cars. torx, allen, triple square...oh my.

you mean when your 4th gen is running it "might" be faster than a Z06. that means my 3rd gen is faster than a Z06 now??
No im not smoking anything. German cars are actually quite reliable they just cost more to maintain. Due to "specialized" mechanic to work on them and some of the rarefied parts they use.

And yea using high strung performances cars to justify why they are unreliable is not a good idea, M5s and S4s are such a small percentage of cars actually sold by Audi and BMW, plus the have complex and high strung motors, yes they are going to break from time to time. Its like me saying all mitsubshis have crank walk issues or all VQs are oil burners. The vast majority of German cars when PROPERLY maintained are reliable.

The direct injection system on the N54 i am assuming is what your referring too. With them its just a fuel pump issue. NOT the entire system failing, that is covered under warranty as well. But that is not all E90/2 are using the N54, only the 335i does.

Both the E36/46 have subframe issues. Only the E36 M3 does not seem to have subframe issues, probably because the USDM M3 is much weaker than the in terms of engine output.

And on top of that i have Mahle control arms on the 5er....no issues with them. The vast majority of the 5 series community uses mahle parts, there are no real report issues using those parts. Especially on a DD. Now if somebody tried to take those soft bushings on the track running slicks and said it was cheap im not really paying attention to that. Hell go talk to Nick(95maxrider) about his ES Bushings and them deforming on his car.

The problem with German cars is people wanting to maintain them like they maintain a Toyota, which a toyota just throw oil and gas at it, it will work forever. You cant do that with something like a BMW M5, or Audi S4, you must maintain them on schedule. But if you buy something like a E90/2 330i or a Audi A4, its not going to really give you much of any problems if you maintain it.

NOW the 545i i would never recommend anybody buy one get a 6cyl model or the M5 ONLY if you have the money for its maintenance lol.

Lol and maybe the 3rd gen is faster than a Vette, hell i dunno. Big black is pretty stout, the vids that i posted were still on low boost. 7lbs. I'm really curious to how it will be on 12lbs.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Crusher103
No im not smoking anything. German cars are actually quite reliable they just cost more to maintain. Due to "specialized" mechanic to work on them and some of the rarefied parts they use.
lies!!! LOL
the only thing that's specialized are the tools that's needed to work on them. other than that it's a standard internal combustion motor with a tons of stupid electronics attached to it that's ready to fail at any given moment.

rarefied parts...yes i agree with this.

And yea using high strung performances cars to justify why they are unreliable is not a good idea, M5s and S4s are such a small percentage of cars actually sold by Audi and BMW, plus the have complex and high strung motors, yes they are going to break from time to time. Its like me saying all mitsubshis have crank walk issues or all VQs are oil burners. The vast majority of German cars when PROPERLY maintained are reliable.
the S4s are on par with a 335/340. the RS4 is the high strung car that's same as the M3. so tell me what maintenance can i due to prevent the cam guides from failing? what maintenance can i do to prevent the SMG pump from going boom? they are ticking time bombs that at the first sign of slippage will require you to go straight to a shop because you'll end up waiting for a tow real soon.

i had a brand new B7 A4...coil pack died at 28K, HVAC motor died at 20K, leather seat was cracked after 1 year. yes these were all covered under warranty but what a total pain to constantly bring the POS in to get it serviced...at times multiple days and service appts too.

The direct injection system on the N54 i am assuming is what your referring too. With them its just a fuel pump issue. NOT the entire system failing, that is covered under warranty as well. But that is not all E90/2 are using the N54, only the 335i does.
pump and injectors...what maintenance schedule is a fuel pump on?

Both the E36/46 have subframe issues. Only the E36 M3 does not seem to have subframe issues, probably because the USDM M3 is much weaker than the in terms of engine output.
oh soooo it's ok that the subframe will rip out of the car. this is a defect man. plain and simple and BMW won't even touch it.

And on top of that i have Mahle control arms on the 5er....no issues with them. The vast majority of the 5 series community uses mahle parts, there are no real report issues using those parts. Especially on a DD. Now if somebody tried to take those soft bushings on the track running slicks and said it was cheap im not really paying attention to that. Hell go talk to Nick(95maxrider) about his ES Bushings and them deforming on his car.
yes Audi control arms...i had to do the job on a few B5s. yes the parts were over a grand...for like 6 arms for the front. it was mahle brand...OEM it would've been probably 2 grand. parts ARE expensive for german cars. i can't go and pick up a vato zone control arm.

let me not get into the wheel bearings that seem to go at every 40K-50K. oh and let's not use electric motors for door locks...let's all use vac pump pressure because in modern day car running rubber vac lines all over the car hidden inside panels are the right way to go. this was years ago so the car wasn't that old.

The problem with German cars is people wanting to maintain them like they maintain a Toyota, which a toyota just throw oil and gas at it, it will work forever. You cant do that with something like a BMW M5, or Audi S4, you must maintain them on schedule. But if you buy something like a E90/2 330i or a Audi A4, its not going to really give you much of any problems if you maintain it.
sure...is expansion tank on E46 cars a maintenance item? what scheduled does that fall under? when it cracks and blows up...go get a tow to a shop?

NOW the 545i i would never recommend anybody buy one get a 6cyl model or the M5 ONLY if you have the money for its maintenance lol.
you fix that passenger seat sensor? yeah...these things aren't suppose to fail broski.

Lol and maybe the 3rd gen is faster than a Vette, hell i dunno. Big black is pretty stout, the vids that i posted were still on low boost. 7lbs. I'm really curious to how it will be on 12lbs.
awww how cute...12PSI...LOL

you currently own a german car...you're in the pool of owners that says..."it's not that bad" because you like the car when it's driving and just expect that these things go.

how's the trip going? when are you coming back?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:03 AM

IMO Maximas are a ****ty platform to work on. You want something PnP and mod-easy? Get a Honda. Late 90s Civics are so popular is due to the fact that there is a huge community, tons of aftermarket parts and rare parts as well you can get from importers in Cali. I have a 4th gen and the suspension really sucks. So much for a 4DSC? Don't get me wrong, although I think my car is a trash can on wheels, I still love it. Gets me places, and only get a CEL once is a while from the charcoal canister and crap eBay knock sensor. I just reset it. Love the body though. 5th gens I find to be the most popular.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
IMO Maximas are a ****ty platform to work on. You want something PnP and mod-easy? Get a Honda. Late 90s Civics are so popular is due to the fact that there is a huge community, tons of aftermarket parts and rare parts as well you can get from importers in Cali. I have a 4th gen and the suspension really sucks. So much for a 4DSC? Don't get me wrong, although I think my car is a trash can on wheels, I still love it. Gets me places, and only get a CEL once is a while from the charcoal canister and crap eBay knock sensor. I just reset it. Love the body though. 5th gens I find to be the most popular.
If they kept some kind of SER option things may have been different...

Last edited by george__; 12-05-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 AM

I don't understand why people think a max is a crappy platform. The issue isnt the car, its the modifier. If you can spend 1k on a car that has potential, spending another 6k to make it insane isn't a bad deal at all. If you have a 13k 370z or whatever all of a sudden it is a good idea to modify it. Fact of the matter is this, there have been many, many amazing maximas from 3rd gen to 6th, and at the moment the CVT issue is quietly being addressed via some software gurus to see if they can get it to behave its self.

Don't cop out of modding your car because people tell you its hard. It is as hard as you want it to be. Show the car some love and you will be surprised what you can make it.

right now, 2016, a maxima has more potential than ever because we can leech off of other platforms that have a much larger aftermarket than we do. 350z, ser spec v, skyline, 300zx, juke... all of these cars have parts that swap into our maxima's and the aftermarket for them is huge.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 AM

The maxima is a **** platform. Weak chassis, **** suspension and limited aftermarket.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:44 PM

I don't understand why people think a max is a crappy platform. The issue isnt the car, its the modifier. If you can spend 1k on a car that has potential, spending another 6k to make it insane isn't a bad deal at all. If you have a 13k 370z or whatever all of a sudden it is a good idea to modify it. Fact of the matter is this, there have been many, many amazing maximas from 3rd gen to 6th, and at the moment the CVT issue is quietly being addressed via some software gurus to see if they can get it to behave its self.

Don't cop out of modding your car because people tell you its hard. It is as hard as you want it to be. Show the car some love and you will be surprised what you can make it.

right now, 2016, a maxima has more potential than ever because we can leech off of other platforms that have a much larger aftermarket than we do. 350z, ser spec v, skyline, 300zx, juke... all of these cars have parts that swap into our maxima's and the aftermarket for them is huge.
Aftermarket huge? What? There's only 2 sites that offer body kit pieces that are ridiculously expensive. ECU tuning is so limited compared to others. 300zxs and 350zs I know are way more popular with tuning and swapping but in general Nissan sucks when it comes to the modding world. There's really nothing left other than the line of the S-chassis. I think all the good JDM Nissan cars is where it's at.

Originally Posted by Crusher103
The maxima is a **** platform. Weak chassis, **** suspension and limited aftermarket.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Aftermarket huge? What? There's only 2 sites that offer body kit pieces that are ridiculously expensive. ECU tuning is so limited compared to others. 300zxs and 350zs I know are way more popular with tuning and swapping but in general Nissan sucks when it comes to the modding world. There's really nothing left other than the line of the S-chassis. I think all the good JDM Nissan cars is where it's at.

Bet you 5 dollars I can find anything you want for your maxima. I didn't say "huge" in reference to the maxima, but 350z and such has a massive aftermarket. Granted it isn't google and go... but its there. As far as ecu tuning... 4th gen = nistune = everything. I also know a crazy guy who is trying to get 4th gen nistune to work on a 5th gen... not holding my breath but that would be off the chain. You're making my point for me with the aftermarket of a 300zx and 350z... I have tons of 350z parts on my car, and 300zx parts.

As far as bodykit goes... stillen or ionic... what else is there??? You actually want a ****ty duraflex r34 style front bumper that can't be painted? say no more fam...

I get what you are saying, I really do, but fact remains if you love your max you can make it amazing.

and crusher is just mad because he can't get his **** running right...

Old 12-11-2016, 07:39 AM

Bet you 5 dollars I can find anything you want for your maxima. I didn't say "huge" in reference to the maxima, but 350z and such has a massive aftermarket. Granted it isn't google and go... but its there. As far as ecu tuning... 4th gen = nistune = everything. I also know a crazy guy who is trying to get 4th gen nistune to work on a 5th gen... not holding my breath but that would be off the chain. You're making my point for me with the aftermarket of a 300zx and 350z... I have tons of 350z parts on my car, and 300zx parts.

As far as bodykit goes... stillen or ionic... what else is there??? You actually want a ****ty duraflex r34 style front bumper that can't be painted? say no more fam...

I get what you are saying, I really do, but fact remains if you love your max you can make it amazing.

and crusher is just mad because he can't get his **** running right...

Duraflex r34 is a ricer **** bumper. There is no extent of designs for body parts. No cheap *** front lips or anything. It's strictly those 2 brands and it's stupid expensive. Nistune.. The only thing for ecu tuning. No other option. Yeah no means to hate on it because it works. I'm saying there is no extent to anything. No other choices. It would be nice to have a big selection. Not everyone has a 300zx or a 350z.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:51 AM

Duraflex r34 is a ricer **** bumper. There is no extent of designs for body parts. No cheap *** front lips or anything. It's strictly those 2 brands and it's stupid expensive. Nistune.. The only thing for ecu tuning. No other option. Yeah no means to hate on it because it works. I'm saying there is no extent to anything. No other choices. It would be nice to have a big selection. Not everyone has a 300zx or a 350z.

Bro, you're missing my point here.

I don't have a 350z or a 300zx. I have a 96 maxima that has been modified using the aftermarket for those 2 cars plus other stuff.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:00 AM

I think the Max has become mainstream. Used to be the best bang for the buck. Not anymore. But the real shame is resale value which is non-existent.
I have had IMO the best of the Max gens: 3rd gen(92 SE), a 5.5 Gen(03 SE) and currently have 2012 (SV Premium) and a 14 (SV Sport Package)
These have been my favorite so far. IMO the rest were junk including the 8th Gen.
Not knowing how long or what I will buy next if it doesn't change?????
Old 01-23-2017, 05:33 PM

I had the 96 maxima 5 speed nice and fast ( to me ) vq30 engine the best , but handling was the worst to get the suspension right it will cost 1-2k and now i have the 1st gen 810 ( finished the swap finally ) I have followed you guys comments VERY GOOD STUFF.. Very thankful for the read they have lost the following on this car ( the comment of the altima ) now thats a good one and a real point to ... That altima ended up being better looking than the maxima then thats a small turning point a bit.. Now this new maxima huge they shot there load now you have to wait a 5 -10 years to gain new following on this car.. Sad to say the youth decides what is cool I do not hear the kids speak of maxima .. When that timing chain goes what kid can fix that? Mechanic just replace the engine so how can a kid do cams and such its just so fair out of reach for ( the backyard tuner ) now the g35-37 ect and 350z-370z and such has room to play even in the sedan version ( that the kids do not want ) tuning shops dont even play with ( now ) kids like the q45 1 gen but VIP and stance ( well all q45 they play with i should say ).. Now a guy did mention Nissan making money and doing every- thing to support there bottom line, but there marketing sucks on maximaand they should just stop and give it a break for 3-4 years and come out with rear wheel drive to spark something make a mean 4 cylinder base model and the v6 ( example ) its a reach , but need something... They key isto be customize friendly ( for the kids ) to buy into the whole Maxima appeal it just isnt there... They dont even care or KNOW about A 1ST GEN Datsun /Nissan maxima 1981 with ka24det DRIFT PROJECT ( maxima is fanito ) maybe AS A MODEL FOR THE NISSAN BRAND