General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Knocking noise after hitting curb...

Old 04-19-2002, 11:38 AM

Knocking noise after hitting curb...

I wont get into how I hit the curb etc, but to make a long story short...I hit the curb, and the wheel was curbed but not bent, and the tire is fine, I had everything checked out by a tire place. I also had the front rotated to the rear thinking it would be safer to have the damaged wheel in the back. Now my question is, there is a knocking noise coming from the front, I think from the wheel that hit the curb...I had it checked out by two places and all of them said that nothing was bent from what they saw, and that they would have to take a closer look to see what the problem is. I am now thinking it is a cv joint, a wheel bearing or I am not too sure what, because it happens more when I turn rather then on a straight road, and also is it safe driving on this? I am not too sure what I should look out for etc, Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-19-2002, 02:53 PM

Re: Knocking noise after hitting curb...

Originally posted by maximaracer28
I wont get into how I hit the curb etc, but to make a long story short...I hit the curb, and the wheel was curbed but not bent, and the tire is fine, I had everything checked out by a tire place. I also had the front rotated to the rear thinking it would be safer to have the damaged wheel in the back. Now my question is, there is a knocking noise coming from the front, I think from the wheel that hit the curb...I had it checked out by two places and all of them said that nothing was bent from what they saw, and that they would have to take a closer look to see what the problem is. I am now thinking it is a cv joint, a wheel bearing or I am not too sure what, because it happens more when I turn rather then on a straight road, and also is it safe driving on this? I am not too sure what I should look out for etc, Thanks,

Mike
I would call it a thumping noise
Old 04-19-2002, 03:00 PM

your inner cv joint will make a clicking noise even louder when turning. your inner cv will make a knocking noise when the front end bounces up and down (when accelerating and braking). go to a parking lot and do some circles left and right to test outer. then accelerate brake, accelerate brake to test the inner.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:02 PM

I am going to take it to nissan on monday, the closest place around here (that i trust) wont be able to do it until liek 2 or 3 weeks from now, and I am not sure how severe the damage is...good bye new rims and hello nissan dealership