General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 12:47 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

Bill99gxe,

First, I'd like to thank you for your PIONEERING efforts to shed some light on a subject I've always been interested in, but never had enough facts to answer my questions and concerns.

Next, I think we(you, me, the org) should try and organize a series of SPECIFIC tests to gather more useful data. We should use the large number of members to collect the specific data that is most important.

A few ideas of what I'm hoping to accomplish(feel free to add more!):
1)Collect more UNUSED popular oil brands, so we have a baseline of what elements are manufactured in the new oil to compare with the used oil. Examples: new Mobile 1 trisynthetic, Mobile syntec for higher mileage, Redline varying weights, AMSOIL varying weights, dinos, etc..

2)Air AND Oil filtration tests through oil analysis by different brand filters and for different drain intervals. Examples: OEM, Mobile, AMSOIL, Fram, K&N, Monster, etc.. This test would also answer questions people have about what air filters provide good airflow, but adequate protection. Also, whether the Mobile 1, OEM, AMSOIL oil filter provides better filtration.

3)Collect USED oil analysis of brands and oil weights that are MISSING from your growing spreadsheet.

4)Send the SAME oil sample to BOTH Blackstone Labs and Oil Analyzer’s, Inc to see how their test results vary.

If we have members form a test criteria list of POPULAR oils, filters, and drain intervals, then we can ask people to join in and gather specific oil analysis. We could even buy test kits in BULK and provide them to people or ask others who can't test their vehicle to contribute money to help pay for the FREE test kits. This idea comes from the ClubLexus board, which recently pulled together to contribute to buying or loaning each brand intake and having them dynoed all at the same dyno shop on the same car to see which provided the most hp/tq gains. They got quite a few people to contribute and it was somewhat sucessful. They failed in producing definitive results, because they had limited time and varied from the test criteria everyone voted for.

If we keep it simple and focus on what tests are most valuable, then I think we could really help determine what is the optimal choice in oil, filter, and drain interval for MOST people.

To start this off, I will personally purchase and contribute UNUSED oil analysis of Redline 10W-30 and 10W-40 to add to the Baseline spreadsheet. Hopefully, one of our AMSOIL reps will step up to match my offer, otherwise I will eventually do it myself.

OilAnalysisSpreadsheet
(Click Here!)

Bill99gxe(AMSOIL SDF-13 filters)
-AMSOIL 10W-30(?K mile USED sample analysis in December)

IceY2K1(OEM filters)
-Redline 10W-30(Unused sample baseline analysis very soon)
-Redline 10W-40(Unused sample baseline analysis very soon)
-Vavoline MaxLife 10W-30(3K mile USED sample analysis very soon)
-Kendall GT-1 10W-30(3K mile USED sample analysis in ~Sept.)

iwannabmw(AMSOIL filter)
-AMSOIL 5W-30(Unused sample baseline analysis)

Vinipux(Mobile 1 filter)
-Mobil 1 5W-30(8K mile USED sample analysis)

maxxed
-Mobil 1(?K mile USED sample analysis)
-Redline 10W-30(3K mile USED sample analysis)

xHypex
-AMSOIL 10W-30(10-12K mile USED sample analysis)

Highlander
AMSOIL(ALL 3 Unused samples for baseline analysis)
XL-7500, 5W20 (wife's Accord)
XL-7500, 5W30 (mine and/or my brother's Cobra)
XL-7500, 10W30 (sis-in-law Exploder)

Smooth Operator(AMSOIL filter)
-AMSOIL 5W-30(4K mile USED sample analysis)

[maxi-overdose](OEM filters)
-Castrol GTX 5W-30(2500-3K mile USED sample analysis)

DAVEB
-Mobil 1 10W-30(~2.5K mile USED sample analysis)

RussMaxManiac
-Valvoline Durablend 10W-30(3K mile USED sample analysis)

Anyone else?
Old 05-16-2002, 06:31 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

IceY2K1,

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are my responses:

Here's what I can tell you so far. I allude to this in my spreadsheet link.

1) The baseline analysis plan is in the works. With member Don Steven's help, there are a couple of more baseline samples that are being sent to me in the near future. I have planned on doing the ULX-110 and Amsoil 5W/30 and 10W/30 samples, along with Castrol GTX, Mobil 1, and a couple of other synthetics off the shelves....

What I would prefer to do for the baseline samples is send them in to Oil Analyzers, Inc. (affiliated with Amsoil). The nice thing about this is I can buy 10-sample containers through Amsoil for about $120, which includes the basic analysis AND the TBN analysis value. I figured I would get 10 oil samples from major oils and just send them in all together. At $28 to $30 for regular and TBN analysis, Blackstone is a bit pricey to do this kind of analysis through. Having said that, I think Oil Analyzer's is fairly useless for real oil samples as they don't personally go into what the numbers mean as Blackstone does, thus justifying their extra cost. Since we're dealing with baseline oils, it's a waste to do it through Blackstone.

I don't know, I guess if enough people were interested, we could arrange to have $200 raised on the forums here for me to buy the sample kits, all the quarts of oil needed, and shipping. And, of course, my standard fee of $5,000 for my trouble.

I guess we would have to agree on what oil(s) to analyze, etc. Then I would send them in and update the results. If anyone is interested in this, just contact me or Jamie and we'll see what we can do.

(2) is a bit harder to do, as it introduces a lot of variables. For oil filters, the only real value that illustrates their effectiveness is the "Insolubles" value. My only other thought is to add in what kind of air filters are used, but you have to know how long they were used, etc. Plus, the only value that really indicates air filtration effectiveness is the Silicon value, and even then it could be the result of an intake leak. I guess what I'm saying here is it's a moving target that might just further muddy the water rather than provide useful info.

(3) is up to those who want to participate. Our biggest hole, to me, is the lack of Redline samples. I've been promised samples of this in the future from a couple of members, and look forward to those results.

(4) Was done by me already. If you will look in the "Motor Oil - bill99gxe vehicles" worksheet, you will see the first two samples in light blue were on my 99 Maxima. Like yourself, I wanted to see what the differences were given the same sample. My OPINION is since Oil Analyzer's sample container holds at least half the amount of oil that Blackstone does, I believe that it isn't a good enough sample of the actual oil. I think it could lead to slight descrepancies in certain values.

Your vision of where you want this to go closely mirrors mine, it's just a matter of drumming up enough support to do this. Depending on the kind of feedback we get about this, I may ask for your bottles of Redline to perform the sample analyses with.

As for the spreadsheet, I have quite a few additions and have decided to further break the worksheets down to break it out more by vehicle type and even by Maxima generations.....probably won't be until next week before I'm completed.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

Originally posted by bill99gxe
[B]IceY2K1,

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are my responses:

Here's what I can tell you so far. I allude to this in my spreadsheet link.

1) The baseline analysis plan is in the works. With member Don Steven's help, there are a couple of more baseline samples that are being sent to me in the near future. I have planned on doing the ULX-110 and Amsoil 5W/30 and 10W/30 samples, along with Castrol GTX, Mobil 1, and a couple of other synthetics off the shelves....

What I would prefer to do for the baseline samples is send them in to Oil Analyzers, Inc. (affiliated with Amsoil). The nice thing about this is I can buy 10-sample containers through Amsoil for about $120, which includes the basic analysis AND the TBN analysis value. I figured I would get 10 oil samples from major oils and just send them in all together. At $28 to $30 for regular and TBN analysis, Blackstone is a bit pricey to do this kind of analysis through. Having said that, I think Oil Analyzer's is fairly useless for real oil samples as they don't personally go into what the numbers mean as Blackstone does, thus justifying their extra cost. Since we're dealing with baseline oils, it's a waste to do it through Blackstone.

I don't know, I guess if enough people were interested, we could arrange to have $200 raised on the forums here for me to buy the sample kits, all the quarts of oil needed, and shipping. And, of course, my standard fee of $5,000 for my trouble.

I guess we would have to agree on what oil(s) to analyze, etc. Then I would send them in and update the results. If anyone is interested in this, just contact me or Jamie and we'll see what we can do.
That's the problem Bill, your trying to do all this yourself. You've collected a lot of data, but I believe we could get more a lot faster if we come up with a LIST that would be of most interest to the most people. $5,000? Man your cheap!

(2) is a bit harder to do, as it introduces a lot of variables. For oil filters, the only real value that illustrates their effectiveness is the "Insolubles" value. My only other thought is to add in what kind of air filters are used, but you have to know how long they were used, etc. Plus, the only value that really indicates air filtration effectiveness is the Silicon value, and even then it could be the result of an intake leak. I guess what I'm saying here is it's a moving target that might just further muddy the water rather than provide useful info.
I agree it's not cut and dry. However, if you drive the same amount of miles between changes such as myself and ONLY vary the type of filter you SHOULD see a silcon value increase. I'm not sure about the soluables. I will eventually test this myself also, since I'm currently running an OEM filter(visit to dealer), so I will take a sample at my next oil change then I will put back on my Stillen Intake with K&N. I know the silcon levels will be higher do to the larger amounts of air thus debris particles injested compared to OEM. It was just an idea.

(3) is up to those who want to participate. Our biggest hole, to me, is the lack of Redline samples. I've been promised samples of this in the future from a couple of members, and look forward to those results.
You'll have BASELINE Redline 10W-30 and 10W-40(already purchased) samples as soon as I can get test kits. Can I buy 5-kits from you when you get them?

(4) Was done by me already. If you will look in the "Motor Oil - bill99gxe vehicles" worksheet, you will see the first two samples in light blue were on my 99 Maxima. Like yourself, I wanted to see what the differences were given the same sample. My OPINION is since Oil Analyzer's sample container holds at least half the amount of oil that Blackstone does, I believe that it isn't a good enough sample of the actual oil. I think it could lead to slight descrepancies in certain values.
Oops, I missed that.

Your vision of where you want this to go closely mirrors mine, it's just a matter of drumming up enough support to do this. Depending on the kind of feedback we get about this, I may ask for your bottles of Redline to perform the sample analyses with.
You don't need to worry about support. I'll keep nagging. Also, I'll send in the Redline 10W-30 and 10W-40 and then fax you the results. I'm trying to make this EASIER on you and hopefully speed up the collection process. You've been doing awesome, but I'd like to add more SPECIFIC samples to give a broad picture of different oil brands.

As for the spreadsheet, I have quite a few additions and have decided to further break the worksheets down to break it out more by vehicle type and even by Maxima generations.....probably won't be until next week before I'm completed.
Hurry up would ya!
Old 05-16-2002, 10:23 AM

bill, I have mobil 1 5w30 from that has about 8k on it currently w/ mobil 1 filter, I have a 95 max se, I want to do the oil analysis, so please tell me what would be the best way to do that, which company should I go through, or if you're going to do the bulk tests then I can always wait, I'm planning to put AMSOIL in my car after Mobil 1, I'm hoping to do this fairly soon as I autoX and I would feel better if the car had fresh oil in it

Konstantin
Old 05-16-2002, 10:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

Originally posted by Vinipux
bill, I have mobil 1 5w30 from that has about 8k on it currently w/ mobil 1 filter, I have a 95 max se, I want to do the oil analysis, so please tell me what would be the best way to do that, which company should I go through, or if you're going to do the bulk tests then I can always wait, I'm planning to put AMSOIL in my car after Mobil 1, I'm hoping to do this fairly soon as I autoX and I would feel better if the car had fresh oil in it

Konstantin
General instructions are here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060

If you need a sample kit from Blackstone labs soon, just e-mail me your address and I'll send you a Blackstone kit......
Old 05-16-2002, 11:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

General instructions are here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060

If you need a sample kit from Blackstone labs soon, just e-mail me your address and I'll send you a Blackstone kit......
Konstantin,

I have an extra Blackstone kit right now that you can have. If you want Oil Analyzers I can get them for you.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm another person that has a Blackstone report showing high lead wear. (42 ppm)

I'm going to try Redline for a short interval (3000 miles) to see if the Moly provides better bearing protection.

I'll be happy to share the results, so we will be able to compare Mobil 1, which I currently run, VS Redline.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by maxxed
I'm another person that has a Blackstone report showing high lead wear. (42 ppm)

I'm going to try Redline for a short interval (3000 miles) to see if the Moly provides better bearing protection.

I'll be happy to share the results, so we will be able to compare Mobil 1, which I currently run, VS Redline.
PLEASE DO! What weight 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40?

We need someone with a Redline 5W-30. I got at least 5K miles before I can get my USED oil analysis.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-16-2002, 12:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Konstantin,

I have an extra Blackstone kit right now that you can have. If you want Oil Analyzers I can get them for you.
There you are!

Are you up for providing a 5W-30 UNUSED oil analysis? I know you don't have any 10W-30.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

Originally posted by IceY2K1

There you are!

Are you up for providing a 5W-30 UNUSED oil analysis? I know you don't have any 10W-30.
If Vinipux doesn't take my other kit, I can send a new sample of 5W-30 in when I change my oil again, which should be in the next few weeks.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

If Vinipux doesn't take my other kit, I can send a new sample of 5W-30 in when I change my oil again, which should be in the next few weeks.
If he does, I'll send you mine that's supposedly in the mail.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PLEASE DO! What weight 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40?

We need someone with a Redline 5W-30. I got at least 5K miles before I can get my USED oil analysis.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm going to try 10W-30 initially, then I'll move to 10W-40.
Old 05-16-2002, 12:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

cool, I'll take it from you, is it going to cost me anything?
Old 05-16-2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by maxxed

Uh, why haven't you e-mailed those results to me?

Please do so at your earliest inconvenience.
Old 05-16-2002, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Starting Point...

Starting Point:

xHypex
-AMSOIL 10W-30(10-12K mile USED sample analysis)
I'll send in my Amsoil, but I've only put on 1k out of my 10-12k so it'll be a while
-hype
Old 05-16-2002, 01:50 PM

Re: Re: Starting Point...

Originally posted by xHypex

I'll send in my Amsoil, but I've only put on 1k out of my 10-12k so it'll be a while
-hype
I hear ya!

Go DRIVE and rack up those miles for "The Cause".
Old 05-16-2002, 02:06 PM

Re: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!

I think this would be interesting. I have doubts about the reliability of data from a lab who has a relationship with a manufacturer. If the same sample could be sent to multiple labs, that would be most telling.

4)Send the SAME oil sample to BOTH Blackstone Labs and Oil Analyzer’s, Inc to see how their test results vary.
[/B]
Old 05-16-2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by AltyPaul
I think this would be interesting. I have doubts about the reliability of data from a lab who has a relationship with a manufacturer. If the same sample could be sent to multiple labs, that would be most telling.

I don't believe you have to tell them what brand oil your giving them, so I didn't consider that possibility.

I was more concerned with the difference in their testing methods. In Bills' spreadsheet you see the results of an identical sample sent to each lab and the results differ. That is what I'm more worried about. The results would be more consistent if you always use the same lab.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:28 PM

It appreared to me, from the comments on the spreadsheet, that people were telling the labs which brand of oil they were using. I think anonymous is the way to go. The reason I'm suspicious is that I work in the medical research field, with double blind studies.

I don't believe you have to tell them what brand oil your giving them, so I didn't consider that possibility.

I was more concerned with the difference in their testing methods. In Bills' spreadsheet you see the results of an identical sample sent to each lab and the results differ. That is what I'm more worried about. The results would be more consistent if you always use the same lab.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:44 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

You don't need to worry about support. I'll keep nagging.
Thats for sure...what did ya follow me through like a million threads?

I think something that would help some of us (read: me) is a list of what we (read: you) want in way of materials and then check off what you have recieved.

I just changed my oil from Mobil1 TriSyn 5W-30 with Mobil filter to Amsoil 5W-30 with Amsoil filter. I have 3/4 bottle of 5W-30 open if anybody needs that sent anywhere for analysis.

I am an evil one and change regularly at 3K Syn or not. I have no kids currently so I splurge a bit on my "girl". I also have a Ford Focus SE SOHC 4 cyl that just changed from dino (dealer changed) to Amsoil 5W-30. Factory spec recommends 5W-20.

So what would I be able to provide to the quest for knowledge?
Old 05-16-2002, 02:48 PM

I'm in!

And since I didn't contribute to the server upgrade fund, I will throw in some cash to the fund or Oil Analyzers (hey, will that qualify me as a maxima.org donating member? )

Here's the oil weights I can offer:
Amsoil
XL-7500, 5W20 (wife's Accord)
XL-7500, 5W30 (mine and/or my brother's Cobra)
XL-7500, 10W30 (sis-in-law Exploder)

I agree that it might make it cheaper if we pick only one of the two testing labs - and Oil Analyzers costs a lot less, maybe that would be the better one to pick. HOWEVER, since I love data and numbercrunching (engineer going to school to be a statistician!!), comparing the same stuff at the 2 labs would be neat! So if we get enough contributions, I would definitely agree that is the BEST idea! By the way, I can offer my stats experience if needed! I would love to be a part of this...
Old 05-16-2002, 03:17 PM

AltyPaul
I will NOT tell them what BRAND, just oil weight, mileage, etc.

Colonel
Your DAMN right I followed ya! What took you so long?
We need CASH lots and lots of cash. J/K. I'm pretty sure we got the AMSOIL 5W-30(or was the Mobile 1 leftover?) UNUSED analysis covered by iwannabmw, but if he doesn't come through I know who to NAG.

I'm also evil or is that stubborn, probably both. I doubt I'll change my interval lengths much, mabe 3K to 4K, but we got Bill and others who are willing to go the distance for "The Cause". Anyways, I'll keep ya posted, if we need ya.

Highlander
Welcome aboard. Any time frame on when those oil samples will be ready and how many miles your putting on them?

I'm sure we will eventually need some statistical analysis guidance/help once we get more data, but you can start by looking at Bills current spreadsheet to help us form SPECIFIC useful test criteria. We can collect as much data as possible, but it will need to be put into a format that ANYONE can interpret, i.e. graphs, best fit curves, etc..

Keep it coming guys!
Old 05-16-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: ...

AltyPaul
I will NOT tell them what BRAND, just oil weight, mileage, etc.

Colonel
We need CASH lots and lots of cash. J/K. I'm pretty sure we got the AMSOIL 5W-30(or was the Mobile 1 leftover?) UNUSED analysis covered by iwannabmw, but if he doesn't come through I know who to NAG.

I'm also evil or is that stubborn, probably both. I doubt I'll change my interval lengths much, mabe 3K to 4K, but we got Bill and others who are willing to go the distance for "The Cause". Anyways, I'll keep ya posted, if we need ya.

Highlander
Welcome aboard. Any time frame on when those oil samples will be ready and how many miles your putting on them?

I'm sure we will eventually need some statistical analysis guidance/help once we get more data, but you can start by looking at Bills current spreadsheet to help us form SPECIFIC useful test criteria. We can collect as much data as possible, but it will need to be put into a format that ANYONE can interpret, i.e. graphs, best fit curves, etc..

Keep it coming guys!
I can provide the sample of the 5W-30. I'm going to need another kit though since Konstantine is going to take mine. He will probably use it sooner than I will so it's easier to just give it to him.

Highlander - I think it's a great idea to get the XL7500 involved as well. It will be good to see the different levels of additives in the sample.

Someone above posted that it would be a good idea to keep a list of who is going to provide what in terms of new samples. I think that's a great idea.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:25 PM

Re: Re: ...

I can provide the sample of the 5W-30. I'm going to need another kit though since Konstantine is going to take mine. He will probably use it sooner than I will so it's easier to just give it to him.

Highlander - I think it's a great idea to get the XL7500 involved as well. It will be good to see the different levels of additives in the sample.

Someone above posted that it would be a good idea to keep a list of who is going to provide what in terms of new samples. I think that's a great idea.
I agree.

I'm crudely doing that at the end of my FIRST post at the top of the thread. I will keep updating it as people join and contribute the sample analysis.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:33 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm about to submit a sample to Blackstone. I have a Preferred Customer membership with Amsoil so I'll buy an Oil Analyzers test kit with my next purchase. The oil will have about 4K miles on it.

Btw, I'm using Amsoil 5w30 with Amsoil SDF and Amsoil's air filter. I hope its not redundant -not sure if iwannabmw is using the same airfilter.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Smooth Operator
I'm about to submit a sample to Blackstone. I have a Preferred Customer membership with Amsoil so I'll buy an Oil Analyzers test kit with my next purchase. The oil will have about 4K miles on it.

Btw, I'm using Amsoil 5w30 with Amsoil SDF and Amsoil's air filter. I hope its not redundant -not sure if iwannabmw is using the same airfilter.
Thanks!

The more the better. Multiple samples of the same oil will allow us minimize fluke results. Plus, your sending it to Blackstone vs. iwannabmw to Oil Analyzers.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:46 PM

Re: ....

Thanks!

The more the better. Multiple samples of the same oil will allow us minimize fluke results. Plus, your sending it to Blackstone vs. iwannabmw to Oil Analyzers.

Keep us posted.
I'm going to send the same sample(s)to both analyzers.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:51 PM

. Any time frame on when those oil samples will be ready and how many miles your putting on them
The sis-in-law won't be up for a while, as she just had hers done recently.

The other ones will all be completed switching the Amsoil within the next few weeks. I plan to run them all to 7500 miles / 6 months.

So I would say I can / should have data on all by the fall... Wow, that seems so far away!! But we weren't in a hurry anyway, were we!!

I'll ship off samples of clean oil to Oil Analyzers - XL-7500 - all 3 grades as soon as I get my oil analyzer kits - gotta order 'em tonight!!
Old 05-16-2002, 06:52 PM

Re: Re: ....

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

I'm going to send the same sample(s)to both analyzers.
Great! You might also consider adding $10 extra for a TBN analysis from Blackstone to have EQUAL information from both. Just a thought.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Highlander

The sis-in-law won't be up for a while, as she just had hers done recently.

The other ones will all be completed switching the Amsoil within the next few weeks. I plan to run them all to 7500 miles / 6 months.

So I would say I can / should have data on all by the fall... Wow, that seems so far away!! But we weren't in a hurry anyway, were we!!

I'll ship off samples of clean oil to Oil Analyzers - XL-7500 - all 3 grades as soon as I get my oil analyzer kits - gotta order 'em tonight!!
Fantastic!

I'm looking forward to collecting data on as many CLEAN oil samples as possible. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: ....

Great! You might also consider adding $10 extra for a TBN analysis from Blackstone to have EQUAL information from both. Just a thought.
Yeah, I payed the extra $10 for the TBN with my last Mobil Drive Clean Blend analysis.

Add this to the list. I'll submit an unused sample of Mobil Drive Clean Blend 5w30 for analysis too.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: ...

Originally posted by "Super Oil Cause Man"
Colonel

Eh, I pretended to do some work today and was going one thread at a time. Hard when the boss man is in the same meeting as me

Let me know if some financial contribution would help as my oil change interval does not match the needs of the test. Or if something else needed would be helpful. Keep me posted!
Old 05-16-2002, 07:31 PM

From an analysis point-of-view, it would be nice to have multiple samples of each kind of oil - keep encouraging multiples of the same brand and type of oil...
Old 05-16-2002, 08:26 PM

Re: ....

Thanks!

Keep us posted.
I actually have a Popcharger, so I don't use Amsoil's air filter. I do use their oil filter though. I also prefer Blackstone even though Oil Analyzer's would be much cheaper. I like their reports better and fell they are worth the extra money. However, if anyone would like the Oil Analyzer's kits at cost I'd be happy to hook you up.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:30 PM

Re: Re: ....

I actually have a Popcharger, so I don't use Amsoil's air filter. I do use their oil filter though. I also prefer Blackstone even though Oil Analyzer's would be much cheaper. I like their reports better and fell they are worth the extra money. However, if anyone would like the Oil Analyzer's kits at cost I'd be happy to hook you up.
you're still awake???
Old 05-16-2002, 08:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: ....

Originally posted by Vinipux

you're still awake???
coffee is a good thing
Old 05-17-2002, 07:06 AM

As I attempted to state in my first response in the thread, using Oil Analyzers, Inc. for anything other than baseline analyses of oils is not a wise move. I too would be concerned about conflicts of interest with real world oil samples, so that's why I recommend Blackstone. They are independent and require a larger volume of oil than Oil Analyzers does. I think the small tube Oil Analyzers provides allows for more erroneous readings.

I know that Blackstone needs to know the kind of oil is used since that affects what averages they compare your sample and give their recommendations on how your oil did and how long it can go drain interval wise. Keeping that a secret might be good for "clean" samples sent to Oil Analyzer's, but other than that I doubt it matters.

I think those who are sending analyses to both places are wasting their money, as I have already done this and there is no need to beat a dead horse. We have even gone a step further in Kirk's (member bags533) Maxima, where he sent 2 samples of the same oil into Blackstone and achieved very similar results. We've done the "let's see if they're consistent" test, so there's no need for you all to waste your money on that.

If people really want to do the "baseline" clean oil samples, I would prefer it be handled by one person: me. Being an Amsoil preferred customer, I can get a 10-sample kit or even a 25-sample kit for around $12 each. Initially, I figured sending in 10-sample kits and buying/obtaining the necessary oils would cost around $200. The easiest way to do this is to let one person manage this effort and have those who wish to see these results simply contribute to a fund.

Again, I'm sure Jamie will be happy to allow this fund collection to take place through the dot orgy forums. All we need now is people to cough up cash.

Those who are interested, just post in this forum or contact me via e-mail.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:27 AM

If people really want to do the "baseline" clean oil samples, I would prefer it be handled by one person: me. Being an Amsoil preferred customer, I can get a 10-sample kit or even a 25-sample kit for around $12 each. Initially, I figured sending in 10-sample kits and buying/obtaining the necessary oils would cost around $200. The easiest way to do this is to let one person manage this effort and have those who wish to see these results simply contribute to a fund.

Again, I'm sure Jamie will be happy to allow this fund collection to take place through the dot orgy forums. All we need now is people to cough up cash.

Okay Bill, if you'd prefer to collect the baseline samples that's fine, especially considering the spreadsheet is really your baby. I figured, probably the same as the others, that it would be cheaper to have people just drain off a sample of the oil they were already buying and would have on hand anyway rather than just buy the oil outright and then have no use for it. I guess that way would be more of an administrative nightmare and would take longer to complete, so I have no objections if you're willing to take on the organization.

How can we set up a fund so people can contribute? Would it be similar to the way donations were handled and done through the org, or will it be independent? Are you sure Jamie will be cool with it?
Old 05-17-2002, 07:37 AM

Okay Bill, if you'd prefer to collect the baseline samples that's fine, especially considering the spreadsheet is really your baby. I figured, probably the same as the others, that it would be cheaper to have people just drain off a sample of the oil they were already buying and would have on hand anyway rather than just buy the oil outright and then have no use for it. I guess that way would be more of an administrative nightmare and would take longer to complete, so I have no objections if you're willing to take on the organization.

Yeah, the more responses I see in this thread, the more of a nightmare it would be to administer.

I just figured I would order a 10 or 25 sample kit, get a quart of the chosen oils at various stores (someone would probably have to snail mail me Redline due to its cost, but the others would be easy to obtain), ship it to Oil Analyzers in one bigass box and await the results. Since I already have Amsoil ATF, 10W/30, 5W/30, and ULX-110, I thought I would just do it all myself. I've been wanting to do this for a while, I just haven't had the funds available to continue and was intent on just fronting the cost myself. The IceY2K1 mentioned the donation idea and that's worth a shot.

How can we set up a fund so people can contribute? Would it be similar to the way donations were handled and done through the org, or will it be independent? Are you sure Jamie will be cool with it?
Based on how serious the responses in this thread are, I would probably ask Jamie to open up the "donation" Paypal address and have him collect the funds and just cut me a check. As far as I'm concerned, the spreadsheet is dot orgy property, so Jamie probably won't mind. (Until it becomes a business and I have a chance to be a millionaire....then I will shun all of you and claim complete credit for doing everything. )

So whoever wants to contribute, let me know here or privately.....
Old 05-17-2002, 07:44 AM

As I attempted to state in my first response in the thread, using Oil Analyzers, Inc. for anything other than baseline analyses of oils is not a wise move. I too would be concerned about conflicts of interest with real world oil samples, so that's why I recommend Blackstone. They are independent and require a larger volume of oil than Oil Analyzers does. I think the small tube Oil Analyzers provides allows for more erroneous readings.

I know that Blackstone needs to know the kind of oil is used since that affects what averages they compare your sample and give their recommendations on how your oil did and how long it can go drain interval wise. Keeping that a secret might be good for "clean" samples sent to Oil Analyzer's, but other than that I doubt it matters.

I think those who are sending analyses to both places are wasting their money, as I have already done this and there is no need to beat a dead horse. We have even gone a step further in Kirk's (member bags533) Maxima, where he sent 2 samples of the same oil into Blackstone and achieved very similar results. We've done the "let's see if they're consistent" test, so there's no need for you all to waste your money on that.

Bill, I like the fund collection idea, but I don't think the flashy banner thingy is the way to go. How about a pay to use forum like the "Off Topic" Forum used to be? That way each person who contributes a sample or pays say $10(just an example) has access to view ALL the information. You can still keep certain information in your spreadsheet for the whole ORG to see, but I'd like to keep the majority in the contribute/pay-to-play forum. This is 100% up to you, I'm just giving a suggestion.

As far as CLEAN samples go, I think it would be a better idea to use the the SAME company we baseline the oils with for the rest of the analysis, whoever you decide. That way you don't introduce the different testing procedure error from the start. I too think Blackstone Labs is a better place for the personal results over the long term, but I don't want to be comparing my results to the Oil Analysers baseline when they clearly used different methods by the varied results.

Last, why do you want to have all the baseline samples go through one person? I don't see why that's important. Consistency? I think it would be a lot cheaper to have everyone send their 1/2-quart or whatever is leftover to you vs. having you buy 1-quart of EVERYTHING.

Quick Reply: Organized Maxima.org Oil Analysis Project?(bill99gxe) LONG!