Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Carputer Time!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM
01 I30 .. aka White Diamond

Carputer Time!

What's up I30 Fam ... For those who care, I'm thinking of doing a carputer for the I30 for a few reasons.

1. I have OEM navigation that sucks, and it's turned into a $2000 cd player!
2. I want navigation
3. I want to!

No really, before I start this thing, just know that I've thought it all the way out, and ready to start buying parts. My first question is the faceplate. I've seen a couple peoples, and I want it to be as stock as possible. I'll do a little customizing, but would like to keep it clean.

Next is this OEM navigation. Has anyone taken it out, and how hard was it. Last but not least, It would be nice to use the automatic fold up screen function, but I want to go 7" touch screen.

If anyone has done this, let me know some tips, and as it progresses, I'll definitly keep you up to date.

P.S. The wife is going along with it!! Smooth talking FTW!!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by flewdawg
What's up I30 Fam ... For those who care, I'm thinking of doing a carputer for the I30 for a few reasons.

1. I have OEM navigation that sucks, and it's turned into a $2000 cd player!
2. I want navigation
3. I want to!

No really, before I start this thing, just know that I've thought it all the way out, and ready to start buying parts. My first question is the faceplate. I've seen a couple peoples, and I want it to be as stock as possible. I'll do a little customizing, but would like to keep it clean.

Next is this OEM navigation. Has anyone taken it out, and how hard was it. Last but not least, It would be nice to use the automatic fold up screen function, but I want to go 7" touch screen.

If anyone has done this, let me know some tips, and as it progresses, I'll definitly keep you up to date.

P.S. The wife is going along with it!! Smooth talking FTW!!!!
Nice to hear the wife is on board!

To my knowledge, the radio/nav in the dash comes out just like the regular stereo comes out.

Were it me, I'd try to hack into the nav screen to run a basic video input to that screen. I'd then use it for movies, or whatever else. While I mentioned using a touch screen overlay on that screen, I'm not sure that it'd work because the OEM screen might not have the necessary resolution, and reaching up there wouldn't exactly be easy.

I'd probably get the double din dash kit and fit a 7" touch screen in that hole, and then put a switch or something on the pop-up screen to use it when you want to.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
Nice to hear the wife is on board!

To my knowledge, the radio/nav in the dash comes out just like the regular stereo comes out.

Were it me, I'd try to hack into the nav screen to run a basic video input to that screen. I'd then use it for movies, or whatever else. While I mentioned using a touch screen overlay on that screen, I'm not sure that it'd work because the OEM screen might not have the necessary resolution, and reaching up there wouldn't exactly be easy.

I'd probably get the double din dash kit and fit a 7" touch screen in that hole, and then put a switch or something on the pop-up screen to use it when you want to.
Meta,

Like I told you about the headlights ... It's hard working strictly with the postal service. Some people don't want to ship, some do .. Some are reasonable, some charge more to ship, then for the item!

My first intention is to disassmble the in dash NAV, including the screen, and try to sell for the going rate.

My set up, although very "still in my head" is as follows ...

7" Touch Screen where the current CD and Radio is
VoomPc mounted in the trunk, where the CD Changer currently is
4 Channel Amp mounted in the trunk near the speakers
Replace the Sub, Front, Rear speakers, and Tweeters
Use a USB Network card for installation to avoid attaching a DVD Player, and to sync music and movies

Like I said, it's still in the developmental stages, but it's definitly going to happen. I'm look at it being finished within 3 months of acquiring all parts. Right around September, October time frame.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Learning English...

The carputer is a good idea, but i think it will be very hard to get it work with your stock screen. I wanted to do something similar, since i won that screen including the folding system off ebay. My friend tryed to connect that TFT monitor(just as a external screen) to a DVD player, but no luck... I don't remember the reason why it failed... He said he need detailed diagrams or so, or maybe the monitor was bad, who knows....

Finally i bought the MyGuide 4300 with a 4,3" screen and here you can see the how it works and looks like... Click Here
Good luck

p.s. hey Meta, you read my mind as i - yours, with some of our projects...
Old 06-01-2007, 12:57 PM

You could also try www.mp3car.com there is a wealth of information there.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by flewdawg
Meta,

Like I told you about the headlights ... It's hard working strictly with the postal service. Some people don't want to ship, some do .. Some are reasonable, some charge more to ship, then for the item!
Eh, that's lousy. If you ever need some help in terms of a proxy let me know. I didn't realize APO/FPO was so cheap and easy (probably most folks problem).

My set up, although very "still in my head" is as follows ...

7" Touch Screen where the current CD and Radio is
VoomPc mounted in the trunk, where the CD Changer currently is
4 Channel Amp mounted in the trunk near the speakers
Replace the Sub, Front, Rear speakers, and Tweeters
Use a USB Network card for installation to avoid attaching a DVD Player, and to sync music and movies

Like I said, it's still in the developmental stages, but it's definitly going to happen. I'm look at it being finished within 3 months of acquiring all parts. Right around September, October time frame.
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. If you wanted to go an extra step, you could try using a PAC SWI-X and an IR receiver/controller in your PC setup to program the steering wheel controls to perform certain functions within the PC.

As an aside - I'd leave the rear speakers alone. Hardly anyone can hear them and rear fill isn't exactly ideal. That could allow you to allocate some more money elsewhere!

Originally Posted by brio_max
The carputer is a good idea, but i think it will be very hard to get it work with your stock screen. I wanted to do something similar, since i won that screen including the folding system off ebay. My friend tryed to connect that TFT monitor(just as a external screen) to a DVD player, but no luck... I don't remember the reason why it failed... He said he need detailed diagrams or so, or maybe the monitor was bad, who knows....

Finally i bought the MyGuide 4300 with a 4,3" screen and here you can see the how it works and looks like... Click Here
Good luck

p.s. hey Meta, you read my mind as i - yours, with some of our projects...
Haha...that looks pretty slick. I can't see much detail in the video, but is the nav unit all-in-one up there in the dash? Was it already motorized (or did you already have the factory screen and modded it to fit the new one?)?
Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Learning English...

ghetto style navi

Haha...that looks pretty slick. I can't see much detail in the video, but is the nav unit all-in-one up there in the dash? Was it already motorized (or did you already have the factory screen and modded it to fit the new one?)?
The navi is all in one. It plays MP3, video, pics etc. In the beginning it was connected to the stock radio through a wireless FM modulator, but the sound quality was bad, so it was disconnected...

Like i said above - i bought that factory screen in Ebay and it camed with the folding mechanism incl. the dash pocket. I just replaced the stock screen with the MyGuide navi... Here's a more quality video, but keep in mind that's not the final look.. Cick HERE and be patient

Sorry for hijacking the thread
Old 06-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Not for rookies!!

The carputer is definitely the way the go, I loved mine and would still have it installed had it done been due to needing something that could easily do dual zone.
Good luck with your project.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Looking to do something similiar

1) So is it possible to fit a 7" screen into the slot where the navi goes?? I wasn't one of the lucky ones to have the navi package so how easy would it be to impliment a sliding 7" touchscreen setup? I'm interested in the lilliput screen. Already have the Windows XP car PC version so I'm rearing to go. Also undecided whether or not to use the XP installation or Vista.

2) Is it easy to connect the PC to an 1 or 2 external amps? If so, what will I need. The PC has a standard audio out already but will it all sound good?

3) Is this all something I can do on my own or should I leave it to the pros?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:39 PM

Sort of OT, but how hard (or how expensive) would it be to install the OEM nav equipment in my non-nav car?
Old 08-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by MattB85
Sort of OT, but how hard (or how expensive) would it be to install the OEM nav equipment in my non-nav car?
It would require some effort and some creative wiring.

But considering the price that the nav equipment usually goes for + the fact that it's CD-based and the maps haven't really been updated in a while, you're probably better off spending $800 on a AVIC-D3 and calling it a day.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:46 PM

It would require some effort and some creative wiring.

But considering the price that the nav equipment usually goes for + the fact that it's CD-based and the maps haven't really been updated in a while, you're probably better off spending $800 on a AVIC-D3 and calling it a day.
Updates aren't available from Infiniti but I remember back when I was looking for an A33 with nav I emailed the company that makes the software and they said they do offer an updated disc set. But yes it probably would be a better idea for me to get an aftermarket system.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Donating i30 Owner

may i ask whats wrong with your Navi Unit? if your interested in selling it please PM me.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 AM

After installing a carputer in my I30, I can't ever imagine going back to a factory system. I would die. I'm about to buy a G37 coupe, and as soon as it lands in my driveway, I will be ripping out that system and installing another carputer!!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Donating i30 Owner

Originally Posted by MattB85
Updates aren't available from Infiniti but I remember back when I was looking for an A33 with nav I emailed the company that makes the software and they said they do offer an updated disc set. But yes it probably would be a better idea for me to get an aftermarket system.

... wel i like the OEM navi more than any other navi i used... that bird view FTW... i mean it is so easy to drive around with that thing.. and its pretty accurate ... thanks to the updates from some Gentlemen on the org. = )

but yea aftermarket cant cut it.. and total cost for me was 300(for oeM QX4 NAVI unit plus 220 for Alpine headunit with biolite display & direct ipod connect) total 550.. not bad for the setup.. all though it doesnt play DVD but i knew a guy that hit a wall cause he looked at the dvd and.. i probably will get distracted too...

carputers are amazing if you know how to do programming.. cause you can get those things to control electronic relays etc. and make them do a whole bunch of things (voice activated EVERYTHING,Automatic everything) ... also monitor car data (i.e. emanage etc.)
Old 10-19-2007, 05:36 PM

Time for an update! Attached is a diagram of the set up with components. I'm still weighing the speakers, and the brand. I like Infinity, so I'll stick with them as much as possible. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Donating i30 Owner

hmm i see your making progress... infinity god choice.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 PM
KH3 by popular demand

Not sure if you saw this one on mp3car.com. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...t-install.html

My attempt. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...a-install.html