Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Complete Install of Navigation in I35 *PICTS*

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
Whats the benefit of going this route instead of the unit posted above? Save money?
I can have my mp3 player on one input and a dvd player on the other. Plus, he's got step by step directions. I like the idea of having a guide to follow - more like reading a book than going at it in the dark like my nav install. In comparison, I'd rather read nice relaxing Road&Track magazine than do stoichiometry without pen/paper.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZGadson
I can have my mp3 player on one input and a dvd player on the other. Plus, he's got step by step directions. I like the idea of having a guide to follow - more like reading a book than going at it in the dark like my nav install. In comparison, I'd rather read nice relaxing Road&Track magazine than do stoichiometry without pen/paper.
So at the end of the day you would have a cheaper convertor that works the same as the $200 variety we have seen? If the install goes smoothly would you be open to making a second mod (labor only). I could buy all the parts needed & installl. This mod sounds like the end all solution for our nav screens to be the ultimate in function/entertainment... Cant wait to plug in a cheepo DVD player or possibly a new cell phone (upcoming samsung) with video out and have the phone screen display on the nav.. Woot
Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 PM

Elementary, my dear, Watson!

Old 09-19-2008, 07:27 PM

good work my man, Its nice to have a factory setup isn't it ? Although since I got my Nuvi for my other car I'm not exactly in love with the factory NAV unit in my i35, but it gets the job done. Do you think it would be possible to convert this NAV system into the DVD based one that is in the new models ? Based on your work what do you think its feasible ? also I notice in your picture that your screen has some non-factory stuff on it, how'd you do that ? Is it an Ipod interface ?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:06 AM

What do you mean by non-factory stuff on my screen? If you're talking about the audio controls, thats just what comes on the screen when you put an audio CD in the navigation slot.

Also, there's a thread on the NICO forums about switching from CD to DVD based navigation. (My name on that site is also ZGadson).
l l l l l l
VVVVV

CD based nav to DVD based nav in I35

What disappoints me the most about this whole thing is that Zenrin makes it difficult to even purchase a 5.5 version map CD. The difficulty comes from deciding whether or or to spend $120 on a 3 YEAR OLD COMPACT DISC (knowing that 3 years ago they were exactly the same price), and how much pain you'll be in when your wife finds out how much you've spent on this heavily outdated CD with maps on it.

Last edited by ZGadson; 09-20-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^ +1 that is very true...

However, I still give you mad props for tackling and completing this huge undertaking!! Looks great!
Old 09-20-2008, 09:49 AM

What do you mean by non-factory stuff on my screen? If you're talking about the audio controls, thats just what comes on the screen when you put an audio CD in the navigation slot.

Also, there's a thread on the NICO forums about switching from CD to DVD based navigation. (My name on that site is also ZGadson).
l l l l l l
VVVVV

CD based nav to DVD based nav in I35
OMG, I just realized that in this Ipod world of ours I have never used a CD in my I35, so when I saw those controls it threw me off. HAHAH. ok, time to dig up an old Cd and test it in my car. PM me about the MCA's I have a couple of 5.5's
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 AM

Right now all Ive got is the navigation slot to play CDs on until I can get a CD changer for the trunk - which really sucks, because it means that right now I can only do navigation OR play music CDs. (You'll find that playing a CD on the navigation system is VERY impractical - the joystick thing to switch between buttons just doesn't cut it.)

Also, check your PMs, Kevin.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 PM

Im with you Z on the DVD swap,that would be the best solution... If there is no end all solution for a hardware swap I will buy a new pop up display and gut out the screen for an all in one navunit. The only thing the stock unit will provide is the pop up power.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:29 AM

I actually don't think we'll need a new display screen. Even the newer screens in 08 models are still RGB input. Although a new screen would make for slightly better picture quality, I wouldn't think it necessary to swap that out (probably depending on which DVD nav system parts we plan to use in place of our stock CD nav though). I'd have to have the DVD nav parts in my hand before I could even determine how to go about the swap from CD to DVD.

(One thing that concerns me is that the newer screens have climate controls on them, too. Im not sure how that would affect us without playing around with it 1st.)
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have got my Used Infiniti I30 and i love it. I would like to Install Navigation system .. could someone help me on this !!! Thanks !!!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by neerumsr
I have got my Used Infiniti I30 and i love it. I would like to Install Navigation system .. could someone help me on this !!! Thanks !!!
Dude, that's pretty much why this post exists. If you can't get a question answered by reading this thread, then ask.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:32 PM

I actually don't think we'll need a new display screen. Even the newer screens in 08 models are still RGB input. Although a new screen would make for slightly better picture quality, I wouldn't think it necessary to swap that out (probably depending on which DVD nav system parts we plan to use in place of our stock CD nav though). I'd have to have the DVD nav parts in my hand before I could even determine how to go about the swap from CD to DVD.

(One thing that concerns me is that the newer screens have climate controls on them, too. Im not sure how that would affect us without playing around with it 1st.)
From a looks perspective I would want to keep the nav dash components and only use the popup button to raise the touchscreen nav. The screen would only be swapped for this purpose, not for lack of resolution, etc.. My other option will be to purchase a cellphone (WM6) with video out and use that as my video/audio source with the feed going to the nav screen.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 PM

I actually saw that done in an Acura. A guy had his iPhone hooked up to his nav. No idea how well it worked, but he was at least able to play movies on his screen.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:53 PM

I actually saw that done in an Acura. A guy had his iPhone hooked up to his nav. No idea how well it worked, but he was at least able to play movies on his screen.
Nice. Movies would be OK, but I was thinking more like the phone screen itself playing on the nav screen.. Nav programs, music programs, internet scores... I need to find a good phone for this master plan to work..
Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 AM

You might be better off going with a full car-pc if you want internet, music, and navigation. There's a ton of great front end software for car-pcs. Go to mp3car.com. You may get some other good ideas there, too!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 PM

Looks real nice
Old 11-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Bump... Just got the AT&T Fuze with Video out capabilities.. Users have confirmed all phone screen info displays on the TV out; which means Tom Tom Navigator 7 will be able to display on our Nav screens once we install a RGB/RCA convertor box (TV-Out signal). Very exciting since those with TV tuners on their comps and ORB can stream live tv/GPS programs/movies/games to their nav screens!

Z, any luck getting this convertor box going, or have you located another all in one source (switcher) that we can tap our nav screens into? I have a link for a box at home but its around $230 IIRC.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Norkoastal
Bump... Just got the AT&T Fuze with Video out capabilities.. Users have confirmed all phone screen info displays on the TV out; which means Tom Tom Navigator 7 will be able to display on our Nav screens once we install a RGB/RCA convertor box (TV-Out signal). Very exciting since those with TV tuners on their comps and ORB can stream live tv/GPS programs/movies/games to their nav screens!

Z, any luck getting this convertor box going, or have you located another all in one source (switcher) that we can tap our nav screens into? I have a link for a box at home but its around $230 IIRC.
PM sent!

Unfortunately $230 is the lowest price Ive seen for one of those boxes. If anyone else knows of a cheaper one, chime in and let us know! (That sounds cool with the TomTom input, however, Im wondering if the converter box will adjust the size of the input picture to fit the stock screen...)
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM

PM sent!

Unfortunately $230 is the lowest price Ive seen for one of those boxes. If anyone else knows of a cheaper one, chime in and let us know! (That sounds cool with the TomTom input, however, Im wondering if the converter box will adjust the size of the input picture to fit the stock screen...)
Good point.. Well find out this weekend!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Donating i30 Owner

OEM? good job guys... i love the OEM 2001 navi i put into my a32... birds eye view FTW.. but lately ive been getting pissed of cause i see DVD navi units online for 350-400$ (eclipse)
Old 12-15-2008, 04:44 PM

I don't know if this is news or not, but I found this today...

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ven...interface.html
Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM

Nice setup...how I die for an OEM navi unit in my car ...
Old 12-16-2008, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by din9lebeRrY
Nice setup...how I die for an OEM navi unit in my car ...
Thanks. It looks awesome, but I'm slowly starting to regret it... No one seems to be willing to share their updated map CD for my area, so Ive been running a 2001 map CD in my car and it sucks butt.

Eventually, I'll get something different, but I want to keep the pop-up display part of the system. That's the whole reason I went OEM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:14 PM

Thanks. It looks awesome, but I'm slowly starting to regret it... No one seems to be willing to share their updated map CD for my area, so Ive been running a 2001 map CD in my car and it sucks butt.

Eventually, I'll get something different, but I want to keep the pop-up display part of the system. That's the whole reason I went OEM.
Update: I was able to get the bypass working (nav feed) on the Aussie unit, but the video in had all kinds of interference. My phone screen came though perfect (size/color) so I decided to return that convertor unit and order the one from Navandtv2go... Still havent received that unit yet so im crossing my fingers that the wiring I installed is good since the bypass worked. This could end your grief Z since you could install TomTom 7 onto a phone and run the internal GPS. The maps on my phone are current to 2007. Take that Zenrin!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM

Well, if that works, I have a new issue to figure out. I've always liked the in-dash cd changer, so I'd want that back in the dash if I'm not going to be using the navigation unit. I'm wondering how I can go about keeping the screen functional (the motor/gears) without the navigation computer.

*Does the navi computer control how long the motor for the screen runs? Or does the navi send one short signal to the screen telling it to go up or down? If the 2nd is the case, then it would be easy to make a switch and put in somewhere in dash, but if the gears for the screen need to be on some sort of a timer, this would be much more difficult.

Now this is ironic... first I install the nav system, now Im figuring out a way to get rid of it.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 PM

Well, if that works, I have a new issue to figure out. I've always liked the in-dash cd changer, so I'd want that back in the dash if I'm not going to be using the navigation unit. I'm wondering how I can go about keeping the screen functional (the motor/gears) without the navigation computer.

*Does the navi computer control how long the motor for the screen runs? Or does the navi send one short signal to the screen telling it to go up or down? If the 2nd is the case, then it would be easy to make a switch and put in somewhere in dash, but if the gears for the screen need to be on some sort of a timer, this would be much more difficult.

Now this is ironic... first I install the nav system, now Im figuring out a way to get rid of it.
Why not get the six disc for the trunk and be done with it? If you need the screen for something else install a converter box... Update on my situation.. The aussie box is going back down south.. Tested a thousand wire combos and the signal still looks like sh*t. TV and nav to go was out of stock until yesterday so once the refund is in I will get a new aussie box or refund for the NATV2Go.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:01 PM

My next plan is to do something similar to what you're doing - ditch the nav (keep screen) and put my in dash 6 cd changer back in and hope I can keep the extra 6 disc changer working with it, because afterall, nothing says I'm more retarded than you like a 12 disc cd changer

What I'd love to find is a navigation system that comes with a remote (like the kind that can control your tv from across the house - no IR), and a control unit that can be hidden in the trunk while connected to the in-dash screen. That way, I don't need any more crap in the dash, and I can just my remote, my screen, and my stock stereo back.

This is pretty much what I'm looking for:

Last edited by ZGadson; 12-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

very neat i like it very much.. now here is a question.. i been doing my own little project with one of those acer aspire one computers.. the little ones with 9" screen. well i have modded mine a lot and i am going to install a touch screen as well as a built in gps receiver with some gps software. i wanted one of those car laptop stands like cops have... but i like how your pop up navi is.. now i want to mount the computer in the dash and have it pop up. the laptop will run the navigation as well as all my music. now any ideas of how i can get my dash to open up like that? i will be keeping the stock cd changer becase it makes the car look good but i do have the same crazy skipping problem and dont know how to fix it. although i dont care because 300 gig hard drive will hold all the music i need haha. anyway any ideas keep me posted please
Old 01-10-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by akop87
very neat i like it very much.. now here is a question.. i been doing my own little project with one of those acer aspire one computers.. the little ones with 9" screen. well i have modded mine a lot and i am going to install a touch screen as well as a built in gps receiver with some gps software. i wanted one of those car laptop stands like cops have... but i like how your pop up navi is.. now i want to mount the computer in the dash and have it pop up. the laptop will run the navigation as well as all my music. now any ideas of how i can get my dash to open up like that? i will be keeping the stock cd changer becase it makes the car look good but i do have the same crazy skipping problem and dont know how to fix it. although i dont care because 300 gig hard drive will hold all the music i need haha. anyway any ideas keep me posted please
Sounds like a great idea! One thing I would suggest would be to check this out: http://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i3...avi-2-dvd.html

Get a wireless mouse and keyboard or something to control your laptop with so you can mount the actual laptop hidden somewhere like under a seat or even in the trunk. Then get a seperate screen similar to the one in the link to connect to your laptop.

You'll find plenty of excellent information at MP3car.com. They even have their own product store with GPS software and receivers for laptops...
Old 03-14-2009, 06:01 AM

does your gps antenna clear the sunroof whens its closed because i just install my avic-d3 and put it on the dash which looks gay
Old 03-14-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by spaceghost85
does your gps antenna clear the sunroof whens its closed because i just install my avic-d3 and put it on the dash which looks gay
Yep. There's even extra space above it with the roof closed
Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM

I have a question, can someone post all parts needed to do a complete OEM nav conversion from a non nav to a nav, im getting hints here and there of what is needed but not an exacty everything, also what wires need to be spliced or used to get it to work in factory spec.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by nsmo240
I have a question, can someone post all parts needed to do a complete OEM nav conversion from a non nav to a nav, im getting hints here and there of what is needed but not an exacty everything, also what wires need to be spliced or used to get it to work in factory spec.
Do a search for a wire diagram. Its pretty much just trial and error with the wires. You have to know a little about + and - wires, but other than that, its really just a guessing game (educated guesses of course - meaning, if you're looking for a 12 volt constant, you're obviously not going to want to splice into a speaker wire.) This is why you need a wire diagram.

It is a pretty involved process, and more work than it sounds, but if you're up for it, I can certainly give you some help as you go.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:05 PM

ya, im not bad with the wiring stuff, schooling actually paid off there, i mean every part involved like navi display and all that.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM

I was looking into this as well...but lack of an updated navi disc = :|
Old 03-17-2009, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by din9lebeRrY
I was looking into this as well...but lack of an updated navi disc = :|
Ive been working on a CD to DVD conversion...
Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dude, your car looks really awesome! good job!
I bought one for myself too, but I want to plug a CarPC into it. I want to put in a touchscreen monitor, but keep the stock opening mechanism....
and now I understand what troubles you have with wiring..... I'm not a pro, so it's kind of tough for me to decipher the wiring diagrams..

Can you tell me, which wire is used to power up the monitor system? I mean, which one needs to be plugged in in order to make the screen pop out, and which one is used to turn it on? is it just the ignition?? also, what are "+B" named wires on the diagram?

I have an '01 I30, if it helps....

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:28 AM

Well, there's 2 yellow wires (one with a black stripe for the neg) that power the screen. Then there are 3 wires (red, green, and yellow) that send the picture to the screen - the screen is a RGB screen (Red-Green-Blue) which is the most basic way to process an image, so yes, a new screen would be beneficial, as the stock screen can't process a more complex picture such as a DVD.

As far as the +B wire goes, I believe its the remote wire for the Nav unit itself.

(Also, I should mention that you'll lose your steering wheel controls. No matter what I tried, I could not get them to work. Meaning, if you happen to get them to work, ya have to tell me how. haha)

Last edited by ZGadson; 10-09-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice!! Thanks for the response! I guess I will have some fun time this weekend )

Well, speaking of the wheel controls, I have to disagree a bit with you. It would've been the case a couple of months ago when I started to project my very own CarPC, but just ten days ago I discovered the greatest invention of all - the Soundgate AUXNISSV3, which you can still buy on ebay!! )
So, as a result now I am not planning to remove the Stock Bose and saving tons of money (well, relatively)! Instead, I'm going to use my laptop, which I'm putting it under the seat and plugging it into a 400w power inverter, which is powered through the rear cig outlet. So, the gps is connected through usb (i heard that bluetooth gets weird from time to time), and an external antenna through a rather long wire goes through the side stand (behind the seatbelt) all the way to the moonroof - actually there is space between the glass and the car body. All the cables from the screen and the AUX are run under the console, and get out at the bottom left part of the plastic cover of the gear stick. Not the neatest way, but pretty easy to implement... And most importantly, the laptop remains portable )

Well.... that's how I plan (hypothetically) to keep my wheel controls )) I was deciphering the wheel controls and audio unit electric scheme, but I was getting into trouble, because I think that the wiring for nav and non-nav is slightly different for wheel controls... Because I think I couldn't find a similar match on a non-nav

Last edited by aidar77; 10-09-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Complete Install of Navigation in I35 *PICTS*