Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

P0011 and P0021 codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 03:48 PM

P0011 and P0021 codes

I got a P0011 and P0021 code today. They are for the Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over Advanced (Bank 1 & 2). The last time I got these codes I was told that it could be dirty or low oil. I changed the oil and the light went away. That was about 1,200 miles ago, and now the codes are back. I was about a half quart low on oil, so I topped it off. I'm hoping the light will now go out. Upon review of the service manual I saw that the coolant temperature is used in the operation of the intake camshaft position timing. I did notice that a little bit of coolant had gotten past the radiator cap. I didn't see any fluid, but I could see where there had been fluid on the top of the radiator and engine cover right next to the cap. Could this also cause the code I am seeing? I plan to change the radiator cap tomorrow anyway.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:50 AM

If you changed the oil and that made it go away, you may have sludge building up in the engine and blocking the openings in a timing plate on the intake camshaft. Maybe you could try running some engine cleaner in the engine. I like Rislone Engine Treatment. If you are getting sludge build up, this would help.

If you read the service manual, a more likely cause is the IVT Control Solenoid valve. Both solenoid valves going bad at the same time is a bit unusual, but anything is possible. These things are expensive, around $175 at the dealer, $125 at the local parts store, so you don't want to run out and replace them without being sure.

Read pages 165 through 172.
http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Infiniti/I35/2002/EC.pdf

As for the coolant leak, maybe the radiator cap is bad, but I'm more pessimistic. It could be the radiator. Nissan and Infiniti use a poor quality radiator. Wash off the stains and drive the car for a day and see where the leak is coming from. What is real common is for the seal between the cooling fins and the top tank to leak, usually by the upper radiator hose.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
If you changed the oil and that made it go away, you may have sludge building up in the engine and blocking the openings in a timing plate on the intake camshaft. Maybe you could try running some engine cleaner in the engine. I like Rislone Engine Treatment. If you are getting sludge build up, this would help.

If you read the service manual, a more likely cause is the IVT Control Solenoid valve. Both solenoid valves going bad at the same time is a bit unusual, but anything is possible. These things are expensive, around $175 at the dealer, $125 at the local parts store, so you don't want to run out and replace them without being sure.

As for the coolant leak, maybe the radiator cap is bad, but I'm more pessimistic. It could be the radiator. Nissan and Infiniti use a poor quality radiator. Wash off the stains and drive the car for a day and see where the leak is coming from. What is real common is for the seal between the cooling fins and the top tank to leak, usually by the upper radiator hose.

When using Rislone Engine Treatment how long do you leave it in the engine? Could I add it now and wait until my next oil change in 1,700 miles?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:14 PM

The company says to add it to you oil every time you change the oil and run it all the time. I've never done that, that is to get you to keep buying the stuff all the time.

I would add a quart (that's the size it comes in) right now and run it until you change the oil in 1700 miles. If you think you need to do it again, then add another quart.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 AM

I need help. I was noticing my car wasnt shifting right at first tranny but its just loss of power and friend ran codes. My 03 came up with the p0021 code and was told its a bank 2 sensor or something. Anyone have a clue what it is? Have a picture of the sensor or a clear diagram thst shows exactly where on my engine it is? Trying to hit junkyard today with friends see if I can find that while there. Help to know what the heck im looking for n where to find it lol. Couldn't find anytjing in 5th gen section. Should I post this there I just didn't want to make another thread for same code.

Last edited by ConCon; 04-25-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

Over the last year I've noticed that I get these codes about a month before my scheduled oil changes, along with a puttering/ticking noise and a flickering oil light. Its doing it again right now, and sooner than it did last time or the time before... I presumed the light was indicating an oil pressure problem but I just changed my oil pressure switch with no changes to the problem, so I guess these things are all interrelated... perhaps I've got a sludge problem fouling things up? I have a hard time believing it could be so simple (and affordable) but I'm gonna try that engine treatment and see what happens...
Old 11-28-2016, 11:23 PM

Have you checked the oil level when the oil light starts to flicker? The 3.5 engine is known to use oil.