Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

Leaking valve covers and replacing valve gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:56 PM

Leaking valve covers and replacing valve gaskets

I have a 2004 i35 that runs well, but does eat a little oil. Occasionally you can get a whiff of burnt oil when driving. When idling, it really comes in. I had the car aligned the other day and asked them to do a courtesy check to see where the leaking oil is coming from and sure enough both valve covers are leaking oil. They quoted like $750 to replace both gaskets.

I am fairly mecahnically inclined and have already done the spark plugs for this car myself using this guide: http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/i/pr...eplacement.php.

So I figured I could do the valve gaskets which essentially is the same job as replacing the spark plugs, just a few steps further. I have a few questions.

1) I see that people recommend replacing the valve covers with new 2004 Maxima valve covers. Is this necessary and if so why? I dont mind as I can get those for around $70 shipped if needed.

2) When doing this I will need to take the intake manifold off, so I will need a new intake gasket as well.....correct?

3) I also see that rtv is needed on the back gasket. I read that a few places. Can someone expand on this?

4) Anything else I should be doing while I am elbow deep in my engine?
Old 01-22-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by shaxs
1) I see that people recommend replacing the valve covers with new 2004 Maxima valve covers. Is this necessary and if so why? I dont mind as I can get those for around $70 shipped if needed.
Yes use the 6th gen design because it's cheaper and better than the previous.
2) When doing this I will need to take the intake manifold off, so I will need a new intake gasket as well.....correct?
It is a good idea to replace it, but not always necessary. As long as the gasket looks good and you were able to get it off without bending it, I would reuse it.
3) I also see that rtv is needed on the back gasket. I read that a few places. Can someone expand on this?
I used grey and the FSM shows its needed in the corners by the timing cover.
4) Anything else I should be doing while I am elbow deep in my engine?
Good time to check hoses for breaks or age.

Last edited by Fakie J Farkerton; 01-22-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM

seeing youre removing the intake i'd be replacing the spark plugs if youre close to due for new ones
Old 01-22-2015, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
Yes use the 6th gen design because it's cheaper and better than the previous.
It is a good idea to replace it, but not always necessary. As long as the gasket looks good and you were able to get it off without bending it, I would reuse it.
I used grey and the FSM shows its needed in the corners by the timing cover.
Good time to check hoses for breaks or age.
Okay I will get new valve covers. I believe the correct ones are part numbers 132647Y010 and 132647Y000.

Okay I will get some grey RTV.

The intake manifold gasket is about a year old and 7k miles. Im going to replace it either way.

As for hoses, last time I tore this one are a little:

I patched t using some really nifty stuff and it works fine. Not sure what this is exactly or part number. Maybe I should look to buy one while I am at it.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
seeing youre removing the intake i'd be replacing the spark plugs if youre close to due for new ones
I did spark plugs a year ago and about 7k miles ago. I think I am alright there.

However, some people say to replace the spark plug gaskets since the valve covers will be off. Not sure if it is necessary.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:34 PM

I did spark plugs a year ago and about 7k miles ago. I think I am alright there. However, some people say to replace the spark plug gaskets since the valve covers will be off. Not sure if it is necessary.
The spark plug tube seals will be replaced with the valve covers, it's part of the cover; therefore no spark plug tube seals needed.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:39 PM

The spark plug tube seals will be replaced with the valve covers, it's part of the cover; therefore no spark plug tube seals needed.
Cool thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:40 PM

Anyone know what tube that is on the back of the manifold? It has a one way valve in it I believe.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 PM

Anyone know what tube that is on the back of the manifold? It has a one way valve in it I believe.
The tube or the PCV?
The new rear cover will come with a PCV.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:27 PM

The tube or the PCV?
The new rear cover will come with a PCV.
AHA! Found it finally! http://www.infinitipartszone.com/Pag...=470&PageName=

Part 47474-5Y700, hose booster for brakes.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:32 PM

Does anyone know the torque specs on the intake manifold and valve covers?
Old 02-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Does anyone know the torque specs on the intake manifold and valve covers?
The FSM is in my sig and has everything listed.
Here are the rocker covers
Name:  VC_zps4ttlqjm3.jpg
Views: 4185
Size:  94.1 KB
Old 02-07-2015, 09:41 PM

The FSM is in my sig and has everything listed.
Here are the rocker covers
Thanks! How about the intake manifold?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:00 PM

Thanks! How about the intake manifold?
Check the FSM.
EM-9 it's all right there.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 PM

Okay so the hardest part of this job was getting the new valve cover up front on with the gasket staying in place. As soon as you turned it upside down it would fall out.

I did find the reason for the leak in the first place. Whomever did work on it before I bought it, stripped the number 1 bolt hole on the front valve area. The valve cover will not tighten properly there which creates a leak.

I will have to have that fixed by a mechanic as I don't have the tools or experience to rethread holes. Thankfully its upfront and can be down with just take the engine cover off.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Since this is here, the FSM dictates removing the timing chain cover to remove the valve covers. Is this necessary? I know to get to the rear, taking the intake manifold off has to be done, but I don't really want to mess around with taking off the timing chain cover, since that's another ballgame entirely.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_Horrigan
Since this is here, the FSM dictates removing the timing chain cover to remove the valve covers. Is this necessary?
Not at all necessary.
Where does it say that exactly?
Old 02-20-2015, 01:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not at all necessary.
Where does it say that exactly?
I guess I was mistaken. I think what I did was just look at the removal for the heads (Which would obviously need the timing cover off) and transposed that. Just ignore me, I'm a retard.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Frank_Horrigan
I guess I was mistaken. I think what I did was just look at the removal for the heads (Which would obviously need the timing cover off) and transposed that. Just ignore me, I'm a retard.

At least you're looking at the FSM.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:43 PM

I had fail in my infiniti. I replaced the valve cover like 2-3 years ago, but now, when I try to remove one ignition coil, the screw is stuck. I tried everything, but nothing works. Ordered another valve cover and gasket for front side (bumper side).

I wanted to clarify something, where do I put the sealant? by corners of #5 and #6? I just put it between gasket and cover, right?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just took my 04 I35 for a tune up and they told me there was oil leaking around the front spark plugs, therefore will need to replace front valve cover gasket soon. They quoted $100 for labor and said would need gasket and "grommets" my understanding from forum posts like this is that I need to change the valve cover as the grommets are built in to the cover, is this accurate?
Additionally, I see on several forum posts that the valve covers cost about $35 but the cheapest I can find the front valve cover is $135 on Amazon (Genuine Nissan Valve Racker Cover Assy 2002-06 Altima, 04-08 Max and 04-08 Quest https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFE4J0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bxlgybEJ091DT)
Is there a cheaper source?
Would it be a bad idea to use an aftermarket valve cover($75 with a gasket on Amazon)?
Should the recently replaced front 3 spark plugs be changed again being that they are being exposed to engine oil?
Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need to change my valve gaskets and going to replace the covers as well on my 02 i35. Also changing out the spark plugs while i am in there. Any other parts I should be replacing while doing this work? also what site or brand do you recommend to buy the parts?
Old 12-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought this one for dirt cheap for my leaking rear assembly:
Yes, I now have an 02 I35 as well as my old I30. Need to update my sig.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissa.../dp/B00BFE1HPC

Not sure about the front cover. There's some weird variance in production dates you'll need to read about.
https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...agram=111_B003

^^^use those parts numbers in the diagrams to find the best deal^^^

It was like $25 cheaper than anywhere else I could find.

As far as other stuff, just check your hoses and see what you might want to replace. Buy some 5/16 hose (if i remember correctly) for the brake booster or PCV if you crack it. Be careful of the coolant lines under the throttle body. I had no issues with mine at 80k miles, but higher mileage may be a little brittle. Everyone says they're a total PITA to unhook, but I had no problems.

Coils are really about the only functional part that is in the area that would be a pain to remove the intake again. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Old 12-28-2016, 11:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the advice and part locations. I ordered the rear tonight on Amazon and doing a little research for the front right now. Hoping to knock this out next week.