Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

I need help! - Should I use a thread repair kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need help! - Should I use a thread repair kit?

Hello everyone!

I need help with a couple questions that I thought you guys could help out with.

I have an infiniti i30 1996, I've had it for 3-4 years now and bought it used with 95k miles.

So here's the story:

I drove my car from California to Houston Texas after fixing all the little things that were wrong with it, I just didn't have time to replace the spark plugs because I didn't have an extension long enough to reach down in. But the 2nd spark plug's ignition coil was all black like it had oil/gasoline eating away at it. I just hoped it would make the drive.

It made the 26 hour drive non-stop with me and my friend just fine! Two days later I am driving it and my engine starts violently shaking and the check engine light comes on so I pull over a block from my house.

Basically the ignition coil was absolutely shattered on the 2nd spark plug and in piece and my spark plug was loose and came out without screwing it (The threads on the spark plug looked okay).

So I buy a new ignition coil and my new spark plugs. I'm replacing all of my spark plugs when the spark plug wont thread in the 2nd spark plug hole. I turn it with my hand and it kind of catches and then loosens up again.

I am 90% sure the threading on the engine is wrecked and I will need to repair the threading with Helicoil (If this is not the case, please let me know).

So here are my questions:

1. Why did my spark plug come loose and destroy my ignition coil? (I'm guessing someone screwed it in too tight before me)
2. Is it really the engine threading that is the problem? (these are my guesses)
3. When cleaning out the shavings from re-threading (tapping) I need the crankshaft and pistons to be at TDC. What is the easiest way for me to get my pistons at Top Dead Center? (Is it easy to access the crank shaft?)
4. Will compressed air from a can work to clean out the shavings?

Help and tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:39 AM
ef9

Buy the appropriate tap and clean the threads in that spark plug hole. Craftsman sells a special tool for just that, but the tool itself is too big to fit in the spark plug tube. Just purchase a regular tap from your local parts store. They can help you.

Use a 3/8" drive extension and electrical tape. Put the end of the tap into the female-end of the 3/8' drive extension and tape with electrical tape to hold the tap in there.

Use a shop vac to suck up the metal filings.

I honestly don't think you need to have the piston at TDC. You wouldn't want to have the tap hit the top of the piston anyway.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Gingerheadman
So here are my questions:

1. Why did my spark plug come loose and destroy my ignition coil? (I'm guessing someone screwed it in too tight before me)
Yup Someone didn't respect the fact that this is an all aluminum block....softer metal.
2. Is it really the engine threading that is the problem? (these are my guesses)
Yes. The challenge now is to thread a new threading and be careful with the softer aluminum metal.
3. When cleaning out the shavings from re-threading (tapping) I need the crankshaft and pistons to be at TDC. What is the easiest way for me to get my pistons at Top Dead Center? (Is it easy to access the crank shaft?)
As mentioned, not necessary to get the piston to TDC.
4. Will compressed air from a can work to clean out the shavings?
Compressed air implies blowing air in. You want to suck the air out, vacuum style. The more force the better.

Help and tips would be greatly appreciated!
Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys!

I got it all fixed and everything is working decently. I found the helicoil springs didn't work as well as the save-a-thread... It took me a bit to get all the shavings out but now its running well!