Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

My 2000 I30

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by RinconI30
Changed out my stereo - and added a dash mat to protect my dash board from the florida sun
which radio kit is that
Old 11-23-2015, 08:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Might wanna look into motor mount and Iacv shorting out the ecu....do it before its too late....easy fix that will make you feel safer IMO.
Lavc?
Old 11-25-2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by RicoI30T
which radio kit is that

Lavc?

I think I have the same one leaking how hard was it to do

The IACV is idle air control valve

The power steering hose was easy to change the hard part was taking the power steering pressure valve which broke on me - The only people who had it cheap was car quest but in florida discount auto bought out car quest

Here is my DIY on changing the hose - http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/20...-steering.html

Wire kit is this

Installation Kit is this

Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sweet thx I need to change mines
Old 12-08-2015, 04:06 PM

FInally gonna get the front end done

I had 2 hoods shipped to me and both had damage in the corner hopefully this one can be fixed the good this is I got my money back on both

Old 01-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Does the kit you used for the stereo work with the subwoofer?
Old 01-13-2016, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Darkness
Does the kit you used for the stereo work with the subwoofer?
I tried another kit that supposably was for the sub woofer but my rear door speakers didnt work - So I went to a stereo shop and he told me I didnt need that kit that the one I installed is the correct one - All my speakers work except for the sub woofer - So when I get time I will figure out why it isnt working
Old 04-05-2016, 07:17 PM

HAvent been on here in awhile but recently did my coolant reservior

Old 04-05-2016, 07:34 PM

wow youve done alot of work on your car. Nice man trying to be like you and do all my own work, from struts to everything else. what brand struts did you use and did they come with mounts?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
wow youve done alot of work on your car. Nice man trying to be like you and do all my own work, from struts to everything else. what brand struts did you use and did they come with mounts?

Thanks for the comment bro - I bought the struts off of ebay SENSEN Shocks Struts, Full Set, 4 Pieces, NEW, Lifetime Warranty they were $100 and the mounts were bought seperately again from ebay for around $25 - They ride nice for a car that I use just for a daily - But I will be honest the front struts I had to take it to a shop for them to compress the spring because the tool I had wasn't strong enough to squeeze them down to put the new strut plates on I think I paid like $40 - One thing about these cars the parts are expensive but with good hunting you can find better prices on ebay and they work just as fine as long as you research the seller and the part they are selling
Old 04-07-2016, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the comment bro - I bought the struts off of ebay SENSEN Shocks Struts, Full Set, 4 Pieces, NEW, Lifetime Warranty they were $100 and the mounts were bought seperately again from ebay for around $25 - They ride nice for a car that I use just for a daily - But I will be honest the front struts I had to take it to a shop for them to compress the spring because the tool I had wasn't strong enough to squeeze them down to put the new strut plates on I think I paid like $40 - One thing about these cars the parts are expensive but with good hunting you can find better prices on ebay and they work just as fine as long as you research the seller and the part they are selling
Thanks for that info man.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:20 AM

Had to change this out today looks like it might have a slight leak -

Old 04-14-2016, 09:10 AM

Had a little leak behind the harmonic balancer so I replaced the seal and the harmonic balance - It had 100,000 so why not replace it while I'm there

Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 AM

Really - appreciate the updates and info - going through a lot of the same now myself...where in FL are you? Naples/Ft Myers here..
Old 05-07-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nugent20
Really - appreciate the updates and info - going through a lot of the same now myself...where in FL are you? Naples/Ft Myers here..
I'm from Lakeland
Old 05-07-2016, 12:21 PM

I finally received my new badge - I removed the I30 and replaced it with the Cefiro - Still debating if I should change the center badge from Infiniti to Nissan but time will tell those badges are pretty pricey

Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 AM

If you ever wonder why your A/C gets warm or hot while at a stop light or your temperature is rising slightly on your gauge - It's because your fan for the condenser isn't working - So I replaced mine and believe it or not it was easy

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Loving my I30T

If you ever wonder why your A/C gets warm or hot while at a stop light or your temperature is rising slightly on your gauge - It's because your fan for the condenser isn't working - So I replaced mine and believe it or not it was easy

Hey man! I appreciate this post so much, because I have a 01 Infiniti i30T and I live in Tampa, FL..these forums are a wealth of information and savings!!! My a/c went out on me last week, before it did; whenever I would turn my ac off the ac would continue to blow from below the glove box on the passenger side and on the drivers side. (so although the ac was off it was still blowing0 mind you this is before my ac went out...this problem went on for literally 6+ months the duration for which I had the car. After looking for problems on this forum I found the cause of my ac going out, the blower motor resistor I had was filthy and needed to be changed. Long story short I bought the part and put it on myself, although it wasn't difficult I was proud of myself because I do not normally work on my car myself but I am at a point now where I want to learn to do more maintenance to my car. I have had my I30 for about a year, have been hit on the drivers side in this car and have had no injuries and car still runs great...**Any advice on how to get more of a takeoff speed??? seems like it takes awhile for car to start zooming ...recently swicthed from 89 to 93 fuel and my car now idles wayyyy better!!! So I am excited to continue working on my I30t..btw at 180mi will pst pics when get a chance

Heres what I am looking forward to working on in my i30
VSS!!!
Re-tinting rear windows
Tune-up
Oil change
*Any information of the aforementioned would be greatly appreciated.
Also, anyone know of some good detailing tips/techniques? and preventive care for the i30?
Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by randell22
Hey man! I appreciate this post so much, because I have a 01 Infiniti i30T and I live in Tampa, FL..these forums are a wealth of information and savings!!! My a/c went out on me last week, before it did; whenever I would turn my ac off the ac would continue to blow from below the glove box on the passenger side and on the drivers side. (so although the ac was off it was still blowing0 mind you this is before my ac went out...this problem went on for literally 6+ months the duration for which I had the car. After looking for problems on this forum I found the cause of my ac going out, the blower motor resistor I had was filthy and needed to be changed. Long story short I bought the part and put it on myself, although it wasn't difficult I was proud of myself because I do not normally work on my car myself but I am at a point now where I want to learn to do more maintenance to my car. I have had my I30 for about a year, have been hit on the drivers side in this car and have had no injuries and car still runs great...**Any advice on how to get more of a takeoff speed??? seems like it takes awhile for car to start zooming ...recently swicthed from 89 to 93 fuel and my car now idles wayyyy better!!! So I am excited to continue working on my I30t..btw at 180mi will pst pics when get a chance

Heres what I am looking forward to working on in my i30
VSS!!!
Re-tinting rear windows
Tune-up
Oil change
*Any information of the aforementioned would be greatly appreciated.
Also, anyone know of some good detailing tips/techniques? and preventive care for the i30?

To be honest with you I'm about 1 year of having this car and learning myself lol - I'm really a Toyota guru - But as I drive this car and learn it I love it more and more - As far as take off speed my car seems the same way I chalk it up to it could just be how they manufacture this car more for luxury then speed even though I think the HP is 190 - Cause the gas mileage is great

A lot of things I'm doing is preventive maintenance because what I learned off my Corolla was I took that 1998 Corolla with 380,000 with original A/C , starter , motor , sensors, alternator and it's still running only because I knew to change things like hoses , thermostat , flushes belts and so on because of years and miles not because it broke - Anything that has been on the car 5 years If you take care of those things now the long run a car with a timing change can last a long long time as long as you do regular oil changes and preventive maintenance . If I'm working in a area and I'm there I just change things cause I don't want to go back there again so I change it because again 5 year rule

I do my oil changes with 10w40 and I have always used STP additive only on cars with over 100,000 miles plus I change my oil every 3 months first saturday in the first month - JAN - APRIL - JULY - SEPTEMBER , not miles , that has been my method since I was first started working on cars and that is over 30 years lol that way every season I have new oil

I have a trick to remove tint paper from the rear without ruining your rear defogger here is my DIY page for that - http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/20...with-rear.html

If you need help just private message me and I would be happy to help you in anyway I live in Lakeland not far from you .

I'm happy to help anyone out that's why I put the part number when I do something hopefully to help another person .

Again I'm not trying to act like I know it all everyone has their own method now you have to figure out your method that works for you and your budget .

Me personally I rather invest in a car one time payment for fixing it then have car payments and newer cars with all these computers will leave you dependant to a dealership because of programing and that's not me .

thanks again bro

Old 05-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Loving my I30T

To be honest with you I'm about 1 year of having this car and learning myself lol - I'm really a Toyota guru - But as I drive this car and learn it I love it more and more - As far as take off speed my car seems the same way I chalk it up to it could just be how they manufacture this car more for luxury then speed even though I think the HP is 190 - Cause the gas mileage is great

A lot of things I'm doing is preventive maintenance because what I learned off my Corolla was I took that 1998 Corolla with 380,000 with original A/C , starter , motor , sensors, alternator and it's still running only because I knew to change things like hoses , thermostat , flushes belts and so on because of years and miles not because it broke - Anything that has been on the car 5 years If you take care of those things now the long run a car with a timing change can last a long long time as long as you do regular oil changes and preventive maintenance . If I'm working in a area and I'm there I just change things cause I don't want to go back there again so I change it because again 5 year rule

I do my oil changes with 10w40 and I have always used STP additive only on cars with over 100,000 miles plus I change my oil every 3 months first saturday in the first month - JAN - APRIL - JULY - SEPTEMBER , not miles , that has been my method since I was first started working on cars and that is over 30 years lol that way every season I have new oil

I have a trick to remove tint paper from the rear without ruining your rear defogger here is my DIY page for that - http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/20...with-rear.html

If you need help just private message me and I would be happy to help you in anyway I live in Lakeland not far from you .

I'm happy to help anyone out that's why I put the part number when I do something hopefully to help another person .

Again I'm not trying to act like I know it all everyone has their own method now you have to figure out your method that works for you and your budget .

Me personally I rather invest in a car one time payment for fixing it then have car payments and newer cars with all these computers will leave you dependant to a dealership because of programing and that's not me .

thanks again bro

Thank you bro for continue to spread knowledge! I am new to this forum so I am not sure whether or not I should quote you in my reply lol...
I will check out the link you posted for the tint. I have to agree with you; the more I learn about my i30 the more I like it..I did get it for a steal (a bit over 2000 cash) I am 23 now, so my i30 is perfect car for me right now as I continue to learn more about infiniti. My next car will definitely be another infiniti, the jury is not out on whether or not I will buy one cash or lease.

I will rather have a bit of a slow takeoff, opposed to others whom have had erratic rpm speeds or no speed at all. Luckily, I have not had that problem.

I did get around to re-tinting my windows, though I will redo them this weekend with the help of a friend (I did not know it would be a headache - curved windows)..

The next thing I'm going to have looked at are my speed sensors, I was under the impression that I have a tranny problem but after some research I've come across a possible culprit to my cars shifting problems. More than likely I will have to call a mechanic out to come look at them ha!

What I have noticed in the past week or so...my car takes better to 93 fuel than 89 (since buying the car I put in 89) now after putting in 93 upon cranking my car is not as loud and idles a bit above 1rpm whereas before it would idle at 1 1/2 rpm and jump up and down..however, when I'm sitting at a light or something my car idles normal below 1(I am not sure if this is a fuel problem or a problem with the speed sensors, sorry if I sound like an idiot still learning!) ..Now I intermittently have the problem of my rpm idling high after cranking it up for the first time of the day..(not sure if I'm explaining that right lol)

I am due for an oil change soon and I do not trust any of the service places around here tire kingdom, jiffy lube ect.. I always have a problem with my car after getting it serviced by any of the aforementioned companies.
What brand of oil and filter do you use? I will call out a mechanic to do that for me...not just ready for that...
Also, what type of spark plugs would you recommend? Do you have problems with the shifting in your i30? Is your car loud?
I feel like shes (my i30) is like 75% to where I want her to be lol..
Old 05-25-2016, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by randell22
Thank you bro for continue to spread knowledge! I am new to this forum so I am not sure whether or not I should quote you in my reply lol...
I will check out the link you posted for the tint. I have to agree with you; the more I learn about my i30 the more I like it..I did get it for a steal (a bit over 2000 cash) I am 23 now, so my i30 is perfect car for me right now as I continue to learn more about infiniti. My next car will definitely be another infiniti, the jury is not out on whether or not I will buy one cash or lease.

I will rather have a bit of a slow takeoff, opposed to others whom have had erratic rpm speeds or no speed at all. Luckily, I have not had that problem.

I did get around to re-tinting my windows, though I will redo them this weekend with the help of a friend (I did not know it would be a headache - curved windows)..

The next thing I'm going to have looked at are my speed sensors, I was under the impression that I have a tranny problem but after some research I've come across a possible culprit to my cars shifting problems. More than likely I will have to call a mechanic out to come look at them ha!

What I have noticed in the past week or so...my car takes better to 93 fuel than 89 (since buying the car I put in 89) now after putting in 93 upon cranking my car is not as loud and idles a bit above 1rpm whereas before it would idle at 1 1/2 rpm and jump up and down..however, when I'm sitting at a light or something my car idles normal below 1(I am not sure if this is a fuel problem or a problem with the speed sensors, sorry if I sound like an idiot still learning!) ..Now I intermittently have the problem of my rpm idling high after cranking it up for the first time of the day..(not sure if I'm explaining that right lol)

I am due for an oil change soon and I do not trust any of the service places around here tire kingdom, jiffy lube ect.. I always have a problem with my car after getting it serviced by any of the aforementioned companies.
What brand of oil and filter do you use? I will call out a mechanic to do that for me...not just ready for that...
Also, what type of spark plugs would you recommend? Do you have problems with the shifting in your i30? Is your car loud?
I feel like shes (my i30) is like 75% to where I want her to be lol..

I used the OEM platinum plugs oh and I have a K&N filter as well . I recently changed my Idle Air Control valve it was doing the same thing with the rpms but if you look on this page you will see all the work I did and the part numbers as well

Oil I just by the walmart oil 10w40 with a filter and again the STP additive - Some people put name brands but again everyone has their own method find one that works for you - To me as long as you change your oil regularly you will be ok .

I do have a jerking in my tranny but it doesn't effect my gas mileage I got like 320 miles on a full tank of gas with the a/c running and a eight of a tank left so that's not bad for a six cylinder - Don't quote me on this but I think when I looked at the manual it says I can use 89 octane so I use that - And my speedometer is off by 4 miles but I will wait if tranny gives out I'm probably gonna change the screen and add lucas tranny fluid to it to see if it helps out - again I have a 98 Corolla with 380,000 with the original tranny all I did was add lucas tranny and change the filter twice in the life of it .

No she isn't loud but there are times in the beginning or when the engine is cold I hear either knock sensor or something but after it warms up it goes away .
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 PM

I recently had to change my Idle air control valve was having problems with the idle then it wouldn't start any more - Plus there is a procedure to reprogram it into the system

AUTO ZONE Part Number: AC4472

Here : http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/20...placement.html

Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 PM

I recently had to change my Idle air control valve was having problems with the idle then it wouldn't start any more - Plus there is a procedure to reprogram it into the system

AUTO ZONE Part Number: AC4472

Here : http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com/20...placement.html

Nice pics of the IACV but does the coolant leak into the IACV sensor on the Infinity? That seems to be the issue with the 2001 Max. I've implemented a coolant bypass. I think it's what shorted my ECM out.
Again I'm not sure if it's the same on the Infinity but it looks like remnants of coolant.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:47 AM

To be honest I really don't know how it functions all I know is when I took it off there was some coolant in it so I'm guessing it lets water in and out depending if the IAC opens or closes - At first I thought it was my pump my car was stalling and idle was fluctuating then one day it just died and wouldn't start up only crank as if I had a bad fuel pump or no ignition . At this point I was ready to blow the car up and give up lol - But I pull a code and just chatted with a few friends about the symptoms - changed it and had to relearn the vehicle got lucky and loved the car again lol

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Nice pics of the IACV but does the coolant leak into the IACV sensor on the Infinity? That seems to be the issue with the 2001 Max. I've implemented a coolant bypass. I think it's what shorted my ECM out.
Again I'm not sure if it's the same on the Infinity but it looks like remnants of coolant.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:04 AM

No it's not supposed to have coolant in it. When you replace the IACV consider carefully removing the entire throttle. After removing it you should be able to remove the entire throttle chamber mounted underneath.
Check out the write up on the 4th gen stickies how to clean the throttle/motorvate.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:12 AM

To be honest I really don't know how it functions all I know is when I took it off there was some coolant in it so I'm guessing it lets water in and out depending if the IAC opens or closes - At first I thought it was my pump my car was stalling and idle was fluctuating then one day it just died and wouldn't start up only crank as if I had a bad fuel pump or no ignition . At this point I was ready to blow the car up and give up lol - But I pull a code and just chatted with a few friends about the symptoms - changed it and had to relearn the vehicle got lucky and loved the car again lol
some reading for you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6O...psNVBqUVk/view

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...d-seconds.html

if you have coolant in your iacv you're asking for trouble. i'd do the bypass as suggested. hopefully it is not too late
Old 05-27-2016, 04:23 PM

Had a little leak behind the harmonic balancer so I replaced the seal and the harmonic balance - It had 100,000 so why not replace it while I'm there

did this solve your leak here? i'm looking at a similar mess in mine and was thinking of doing the same thing
Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
did this solve your leak here? i'm looking at a similar mess in mine and was thinking of doing the same thing
Yes it solved my leak I have no more leaks on the ground

Originally Posted by cornholio
some reading for you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6O...psNVBqUVk/view

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...d-seconds.html

if you have coolant in your iacv you're asking for trouble. i'd do the bypass as suggested. hopefully it is not too late

I'm gonna look into by passing the hose but the antifreeze wasn't in that area till after I took the part off
Old 05-31-2016, 07:49 AM

I should have posted this earlier but when I did my belts I changed my power steering pump as well it was starting to leak plus I had to replace the bolt to adjust the belt and this was a pain in the *** to do really tight under there I think next time someone else can do it lol

Old 06-05-2016, 06:53 AM

I had a splash guard missing that covered the new belts I replaced so I found a set on ebay for $22 for both sides but only needed one side - I don't care what anyone says these are important to protecting your a/c and other parts from rusting since I live in Florida and the rainy season is on it's way I put it on - There are other splash guards but there ok

Old 06-08-2016, 05:45 PM

nice I wouldn't drive without one. It could cause so many issues.

What kind of ATF did you use and did you have any issues bleeding the new oil in?

What do you use to set the belts in place? How tight did you get them?

Last edited by maximatech12; 06-08-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12

1 - What kind of ATF did you use and did you have any issues bleeding the new oil in?

2 - What do you use to set the belts in place? How tight did you get them?

1 - I think these type of cars are hard to bleed I have just a tiny tiny tiny noise but after reading up on it that is common with this type of vehicle it just has to work its way out there are days where there is no noise at all and days that you could hardly hear a whining but then it goes away - I used the Auto Zone clear regular power steering fluid - I know I held the wheel all the way to the left then to the right did it a few times then I checked the fluid to see if needed to be added

2 - Really didn't use anything to set the belts the power steering belt has a belt tensioner on the pump you can see in the photos above and the alternator belt has it's own belt tensioner as well - I just squeezed it to feel the tightness of the belt there is no science just do not over tightened it - It's like you can squeeze the belt and feel it getting tighter you want just a slight bend to it but again not tight to where you can't bend the belt but not loose either it's more of feel your old one before you take your belts off - If you mess up you can stretch the belt and it might squeal that's one way of knowing if it is wrong .

Old 06-11-2016, 08:25 PM

This is not much of a DIY but I had to replace my passenger side CV shaft seal and when I realized I didn't have the proper tool or how long the distance was to even try to seed the seal and even realize how tight it was and there was only one way to get to this darn seal - I found a old filter I had ( Thank GOD ) and the ring around it matched - This is a two person so even your wife , girlfriend or kids can help on this one - I got a lot of ratchet extensions and I got under the car with a flash light I held the extensions while I had someone GENTLY tap on it with a rubber mallet evenly and it worked so if you run into this problem and you only have one car and don't want to rent the tool here is another way to put your seals in and I'm guessing if I ever need the other side this idea will work as well - So hope this helps someone .