Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

00-04 Owners: Let's Discuss Catbacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 06:17 PM

00-04 Owners: Let's Discuss Catbacks

Mandrel bent exhaust solutions are in the testing phase of making piping kits for the a33 chassis. Yay. Right?
I plan on making a few catbacks for the cooler kids [us Infiniti snobs] since we know the Maxima exhaust aint exactly a good fit for us.

Cool story bro, but why am i here in this thread?
Well would anyone be interested in my finished setups after I'm done? Or would like to join in on the testing phase by ordering piping kits snd supplying feedback to the company so they can get it right for the future?

They are making 2.5" setups first to work out any kinks or flaws... so would anyone be interested in 2.5" exhaust? I would be using the g35/350z resonator and a cherry bomb muffler, i promise it will sound excellent

If not im just going to take the gamble have them make a 3" for myself and contribute nothing back to yall =p

Sparknotes: I'm buying mandrel bent 2.5 exhaust kits, finishing them providing feedback to the company and would like to sell my completed exhaust afterward at no $ loss [or gained for that matter... Ok i may sneak in a small fee but I'm certainly not doing this for a real profit]. What do you get? A 2.5" exhaust that just needs to be bolted on and won't cook your bumper! Or buy 2.5" kits from mandrel bent exhaust solutions and help provide feedback.

Last edited by aackshun; 10-21-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:56 AM

To be honest a cherry bomb on a Infiniti A33 Chassis ?? Plus a 2.5" or 3" on a stock engine ??

I dont know what stock pipe sizes are but you would lose on power easily some where with those sizes and no engine modifications - Personally the A33 would be more of a VIP and to put a cherry bomb on it would take away the classiness - Possible Vibrant Muffler has a low tone barely you can hear it would be my opinion

But good luck with your project and hope you video it -
Old 10-22-2015, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by RinconI30
To be honest a cherry bomb on a Infiniti A33 Chassis ?? Plus a 2.5" or 3" on a stock engine ??

I dont know what stock pipe sizes are but you would lose on power easily some where with those sizes and no engine modifications - Personally the A33 would be more of a VIP and to put a cherry bomb on it would take away the classiness - Possible Vibrant Muffler has a low tone barely you can hear it would be my opinion

But good luck with your project and hope you video it -
Question.

I respect your opinion.

But...
Do you have ANY experience with mufflers? exhaust setups? in general? You gave a very typical armchair modder response, if you had some real experience trying on different mufflers, testing Db's on different setups then I will just sit here and drink my tea quietly and take your .02 into consideration.

With your response including the name "Vibrant" and descirbing it as quiet ..... just raises a lot of red flags in my experience.

My car right now is quieter than a vibrant muffler on similar setups, and I don't even run a muffer.

Last edited by aackshun; 10-22-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Question.

I respect your opinion.

But...
Do you have ANY experience with mufflers? exhaust setups? in general? You gave a very typical armchair modder response, if you had some real experience trying on different mufflers, testing Db's on different setups then I will just sit here and drink my tea quietly and take your .02 into consideration.

With your response including the name "Vibrant" and descirbing it as quiet ..... just raises a lot of red flags in my experience.

My car right now is quieter than a vibrant muffler on similar setups, and I don't even run a muffer.

When it comes to Infiniti I30 no I do not have any experience I just got in the Nissan/Infiniti Modification months ago - As far as exhaust set ups and testing and changing sizes yes I do have experience but only with Corollas and 20v BT set ups - Vibrant is a low tone not a quiet muffler now compared to a cherry bomb then yes its quieter -

I'm not mocking you or trying to out knowledge you - I did notice you said Maxima exhaust is not a good fit for us -

I guess I questioned it wrong - What I'm asking is why are you going to a bigger exhaust ? Is it for power ? Gas mileage ? My other question is why are you using a cherry bomb ? or is that your preference in sound you like ? My other question is why isnt the Maxima fit good ?

Me personally I'm just trying to find out more about the A33 so as I do my MODS then I can taylor one that is suited for me thats all - As far as I know currently I'm guessing the I30 is a luxury car and I can be wrong maybe there built for performance - I do think you have something worth listening too and if I can listen to your knowledge then it will help me to know my vehicle more and the direction I like to take - Not like the I35 section is active

With that all I said was post videos when your done I would like to hear it - and If you have a video of your set up now with out mufflers I like to hear the sound
Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 AM

When it comes to Infiniti I30 no I do not have any experience I just got in the Nissan/Infiniti Modification months ago - As far as exhaust set ups and testing and changing sizes yes I do have experience but only with Corollas and 20v BT set ups - Vibrant is a low tone not a quiet muffler now compared to a cherry bomb then yes its quieter -

I think you really have no idea that Cherry Bomb offers a full line up of products... and not only just the red glasspack from their name sake, which is what I assume you're thinking about.

I'm not mocking you or trying to out knowledge you - I did notice you said Maxima exhaust is not a good fit for us -

I guess I questioned it wrong - What I'm asking is why are you going to a bigger exhaust ? Is it for power ? Gas mileage ? My other question is why are you using a cherry bomb ? or is that your preference in sound you like ? My other question is why isnt the Maxima fit good ?
Ah! Thus the discussion part! No problem good sir, will gladly lay it out.

Piping Diameter?
2.5" happens to be the stock piping size on many other nissan V6 powered chassis, cept ours. Some of the more extreme modded N/A VQ powered Z chassis use 4" piping at certain points.
2.5 was the accepted norm for exhaust around here (Maxima.org) until people started dynoing 3" exhaust and noted quality gains across the whole powerband vs a 2.5" exhaust. So now 3" is the performance norm.

Fitment?
The A33 I is about a good 5-6" longer than the maxima, installing a maxima exhaust on an A33 is not a good fit, the bumper covers about half the exhaust tips and the muffler is about 3" short of the end of the bumper, so modification of the muffler tips or hangers are needed to at least not destroy your bumper.

Me personally I'm just trying to find out more about the A33 so as I do my MODS then I can taylor one that is suited for me thats all - As far as I know currently I'm guessing the I30 is a luxury car and I can be wrong maybe there built for performance - I do think you have something worth listening too and if I can listen to your knowledge then it will help me to know my vehicle more and the direction I like to take - Not like the I35 section is active

With that all I said was post videos when your done I would like to hear it - and If you have a video of your set up now with out mufflers I like to hear the sound
There won't be any videos of a 2.5" exhaust if I can not get any interest in it, I will have to just get the 3" kit and make it work on my car and enjoy it for meself :grin:
Old 10-23-2015, 10:18 AM

Good info bro - I didn't know cherry bomb had other options in mufflers and about the diameters of pipe - Does this apply to my 3.0 motor as well ? unfortunately I have the I30 . Which I'm hoping is the same A33

Well just like to say you definitely have the smarts , hopefully you can get others

Unfortunately I have a $2000 front end work cause my girl hit me while driving behind me in my car or else this I might be tempted to try this

But good luck bro !!
Old 10-23-2015, 01:22 PM

Good info bro - I didn't know cherry bomb had other options in mufflers and about the diameters of pipe - Does this apply to my 3.0 motor as well ? unfortunately I have the I30 . Which I'm hoping is the same A33

Well just like to say you definitely have the smarts , hopefully you can get others

Unfortunately I have a $2000 front end work cause my girl hit me while driving behind me in my car or else this I might be tempted to try this

But good luck bro !!
Yes. Full line up like Magnaflow and Flowmaster, I just so happen to like the vortex's design and black chassis.

Yes, I have run 3" on 3.0L motors noticed gains at all points in the rpm band and responsiveness increased as well.

00-01 I30 will be fine. Like the title stated 00-04 owners.

Thanks! I've tried, I have put quite a bit of ground work into making an elite exhaust setup but there is no market for quality exhaust for our vehicles, just people who want to only pay for ebay junk, or crush bent straight pipes from local shops.

Last edited by aackshun; 10-23-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Subd
Old 10-28-2015, 03:13 PM

Got the good news, they went ahead and did a 3" system, which I will be purchasing and updating this thread with progress.

There has been some buzz about my current exhaust setup and I may produce some tuned (Tuned = Adjusted to make power) setups for those who actually purchase it from me, once I design and finalize that I will announce it through the proper channels (Group Buy thread) not here. Same for any finalized 3" full catback setups.

If anyone is interested in a 2.5" system please PM me, I will make one for your car just at the cost of materials as stated in the original post but any of my 3" setups will have to be done through the group buy section, when I've finished my design.

Last edited by aackshun; 10-28-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:17 PM

I may be interested. But I'm looking to keep on my stock muffler.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Leroni35
I may be interested. But I'm looking to keep on my stock muffler.
May I ask why? If being OEM is your interest then you should get my 2.5" for the test runs.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:22 AM

Thats what i meant my bad. My ideal exhaust would be the 2.5 catback with a stock muffler attached.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Leroni35
Thats what i meant my bad. My ideal exhaust would be the 2.5 catback with a stock muffler attached.

I think what he means is why put a 2.5 pipe if your gonna keep your stock muffler ? In that case where he is putty a cherry bomb brand muffler is the way you need to go - After the catback you need to maintain the flow wide instead of going back to small - then you would have accomplished nothing
Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 AM

I'm assuming any person posting in a catback thread, that they are actually interested in increasing the performance of thier vehicle, otherwise I really think they are trolling or just severely confused and in the wrong place.

What I will ASSUME again is that he wants an OEM style muffler to keep the car relatively quiet and has heard me mention things about the G35 muffler in the past?

The G35 Muffler sounds great, flows well, just doesn't look right and a tight fit in our Vehicle. I would do that for a local build but not something to send across the country. Which is why I'm going with an easier fitting muffler that is just as quiet (really quieter) than the G35 muffler.

Again, if you want to retain DB levels of a stock vehicle, my 2.5" plan is the way to go, if you're seriously interested I will build one for you at cost.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-02-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:13 AM

Bump:

I sold my exhaust setup. I am now ready to make something else.

If anyone wants me to build anything for them now is the time to speak up.

I will make 2.5" exhaust for at cost, with the following parts: G35/350z Resonator, 2.5" Mild steel piping & Cherry Bomb Vortex Muffler, ready to go for any 00-04 I30/I35

Estimated to be in the 4-500$ range shipped.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:22 AM

I'm feeling hopeful, since I kinda have the market conerned

I am going to make a 2.5" exhaust from Mandrel systems.

Mild Steel.

350z/G/FX Resonator

Muffler? May go with something exotic since this is for me
Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 AM

Hey aackshun, since you seem fairly knowledgeable about exhaust options, have a quick question for you. I found out I have an exhaust leak and it was coming from my resonator. Me and my mechanic decided we could just straight pipe that area since it wont really be needed for emissions and whatnot. Im in Canada so it might vary in other places. We haven't done anything yet but I was wondering how much louder would this make it? Would there be drone at highway speeds? Im sure some power would be gained but at what cost? Im not looking at any exhaust setups, just going the cheapest and quickest route here and a lil oomph wont be bad but overall how loud and drony would it be? Mind you I still have my oem cat and muffler so im not going all out here, just fixing the leak part
Old 11-10-2015, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by thenewguyy
Hey aackshun, since you seem fairly knowledgeable about exhaust options, have a quick question for you. I found out I have an exhaust leak and it was coming from my resonator. Me and my mechanic decided we could just straight pipe that area since it wont really be needed for emissions and whatnot. Im in Canada so it might vary in other places. We haven't done anything yet but I was wondering how much louder would this make it? Would there be drone at highway speeds? Im sure some power would be gained but at what cost? Im not looking at any exhaust setups, just going the cheapest and quickest route here and a lil oomph wont be bad but overall how loud and drony would it be? Mind you I still have my oem cat and muffler so im not going all out here, just fixing the leak part
On the OEM setup, the muffler does most of the magic.

I wouldn't even fathom the idea of gaining power from this.

And with all 3 cats and an oem muffler? I wouldn't even mention you deleted the resonator.

I would imagine WOT and heavy load would not sound too appeasing though.

Worst case scenario, buy a stainless steel similar length resonator (2.25" ID will suffice) to get rid of any extra rasp you've unleashed.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:37 PM

On the OEM setup, the muffler does most of the magic.
I wouldn't even fathom the idea of gaining power from this.
And with all 3 cats and an oem muffler? I wouldn't even mention you deleted the resonator.
I would imagine WOT and heavy load would not sound too appeasing though.
Worst case scenario, buy a stainless steel similar length resonator (2.25" ID will suffice) to get rid of any extra rasp you've unleashed.
Yea im not looking for any power gains either, hell im guessing id need at 20+ hp at the wheels to even feel any difference in the power and the usual I/H/E combo on our cars would not even come close to those kinda numbers so yea, I just said some power gain but regardless, it would be negligible. Id like to hear what WOT and heavy load would sound like, mind you, im very easy on the car, only time ive hit redline was when I took it to the drag strip once, other than that, youll rarely ever catch me 3.5k revs lol. I haven't unleashed any rasp since I haven't done anything to the car yet but just wondering which route to go. What about those glasspacks? Came across them while doing some research, your thoughts on those?
Old 11-10-2015, 01:46 PM

They sound great, the lifetime of them is something else to be concerned about though.... but you'd get nothing while running the stock muffler. Stock muffler is a serious piece of hardware, I ran the stock catback on headers and could hear NOTHING out of the back of the car.

I think I have a video on me running a y-pipe with a set of 4th gen manifolds, and a test pipe on my youtube [Not posting because this is OT, we're talking about aftermarket stuff everything in that video was OEM after the cat]
Old 11-10-2015, 08:24 PM

They sound great, the lifetime of them is something else to be concerned about though.... but you'd get nothing while running the stock muffler. Stock muffler is a serious piece of hardware, I ran the stock catback on headers and could hear NOTHING out of the back of the car.

I think I have a video on me running a y-pipe with a set of 4th gen manifolds, and a test pipe on my youtube [Not posting because this is OT, we're talking about aftermarket stuff everything in that video was OEM after the cat]
ok cool I think ill do straight pipes in that section for now and see how things go, thanks for all your help
Old 11-11-2015, 07:18 AM

Since it's not OEM, post up your results here!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:27 PM

Since it's not OEM, post up your results here!
Will do, im seeing these on amazon, any recommendations?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:27 AM

Will do, im seeing these on amazon, any recommendations?
Seeing wah?
Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 AM

lol forgot to post the link
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ck%2Caps%2C233
Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 AM

Again, sound deep, aggressive, affordable, but their life time has always been a concern.

I would do a Jones exhaust resonator, they're cheap, stainless steel, and sound great.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:31 AM

Theres a bunch of them, which one? and whats ideal size? 2.5 inches? also what do variations in length do?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:37 PM

I hate to dumb it down to as simple as "The smaller the resonator, the louder it gets" but without me typing a really long essay explaining it all, that's what it kinda-basically amounts to.

Sometimes putting the biggest resonator you can in a space is not the right remedy to fix a certain thing.

Other times you need to
Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 PM

I hate to dumb it down to as simple as "The smaller the resonator, the louder it gets" but without me typing a really long essay explaining it all, that's what it kinda-basically amounts to.

Sometimes putting the biggest resonator you can in a space is not the right remedy to fix a certain thing.

Other times you need to
lol btw whats the specs on the oem resonator? Tried looking for it online, didn't have much success

PS. I just saw your blog with the videos, you did a 6 speed swap??? That's badass man, and running low 14's must feel nice. Ran my stock last year with low 15's but that I is LOUDDD lol and lols @ I35S haha

Last edited by thenewguyy; 11-13-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:37 AM

lol btw whats the specs on the oem resonator? Tried looking for it online, didn't have much success

PS. I just saw your blog with the videos, you did a 6 speed swap??? That's badass man, and running low 14's must feel nice. Ran my stock last year with low 15's but that I is LOUDDD lol and lols @ I35S haha
I have it in storage right now, I don't have any plans to retrieve it this weekend, maybe during the week I'll go out there and measure it.

Hahaha, thanks, best is 13.9 @ 100. The volume of the catback I had is not bad. Actually quieter than a megan 2.5" at times, but it's even worse now, I sold the catback, just headers and a resonated test pipe.

Thus the reason for the thread, just going to end up building a few exhaust setups for I35 owners and later down the line Maximas. As of now, I have 0 interest for my initial offer, so I will just build the 2.5 and sell it at a profit later down the line, then build a 3" and so on and so on...
Old 11-16-2015, 08:54 PM

Cool man, im just thinking of putting in a straight piece by cutting the resonator out but was wondering what the length is for the oem one. If I put in a 2" instead of a 2.5", how much of a difference does it make? Id like to see a picture of the bottom of the car and see your setup.
13.9 in our cars without FI is insane man, props to you, but I guess cars been really worked on as well, going FI can easily put you in the 12's.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 AM

Cool man, im just thinking of putting in a straight piece by cutting the resonator out but was wondering what the length is for the oem one. If I put in a 2" instead of a 2.5", how much of a difference does it make? Id like to see a picture of the bottom of the car and see your setup.
13.9 in our cars without FI is insane man, props to you, but I guess cars been really worked on as well, going FI can easily put you in the 12's.
I mean.... Since you're cutting it you'll find out

I'm actually re-installing a stock catback on my car for the mean time while parts arrive, may have some things finished after xmas.

My 3" setup on the car previously.

http://aackshunsgarage.blogspot.com/...3-catback.html

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ml#post9057546
Old 11-18-2015, 06:40 AM

Hey thenewguy:

I have now installed your "dream" setup and well.... It's been ages since I've driven a vehicle with a stock catback and wow..... talk about a different car.....

As long as you keep all of the cats in place it shouldn't be that bad with a straight pipe in place of the stock resonator... You might actually.... enjoy it...

The stock resonator changes the exhaust sound tone to a range where the muffler effectively cancels out most of the audible sound from the exhaust. Without the stock resonator you have different sound waves entering the muffler chamber and no longer can it silence the vehicle to that whisper we all hear. Still very low DBs, but now there's a tone to your exhaust.
I have headers so along with a tone I have a lot of rasp because my exhaust velocity is just too much for a stock muffler, sounds like you're trying hold a note through a straw.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shoot me a pm for a 3" version.b
Old 11-23-2015, 08:31 PM

Hey thenewguy:

I have now installed your "dream" setup and well.... It's been ages since I've driven a vehicle with a stock catback and wow..... talk about a different car.....

As long as you keep all of the cats in place it shouldn't be that bad with a straight pipe in place of the stock resonator... You might actually.... enjoy it...

The stock resonator changes the exhaust sound tone to a range where the muffler effectively cancels out most of the audible sound from the exhaust. Without the stock resonator you have different sound waves entering the muffler chamber and no longer can it silence the vehicle to that whisper we all hear. Still very low DBs, but now there's a tone to your exhaust.
I have headers so along with a tone I have a lot of rasp because my exhaust velocity is just too much for a stock muffler, sounds like you're trying hold a note through a straw.
lol @ dream setup, im not even sure what that sound would be like on our cars, I do love the G35 muffler deletes though =)
Post a video if you can
Old 11-25-2015, 08:05 AM

lol @ dream setup, im not even sure what that sound would be like on our cars, I do love the G35 muffler deletes though =)
Post a video if you can
I will not go through the trouble of posting a video of this

Still sounds terrible, but I'll deal with it for now. Remember, I have headers and a test pipe.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:15 PM

I will not go through the trouble of posting a video of this

Still sounds terrible, but I'll deal with it for now. Remember, I have headers and a test pipe.
ohh i thought you meant is sounded nice for you, why is it terrible? even if it has headers and a test pipe? wont the stock catback mellow it down a lot?
Old 11-26-2015, 05:33 PM

ohh i thought you meant is sounded nice for you, why is it terrible? even if it has headers and a test pipe? wont the stock catback mellow it down a lot?
Try forcing a gallon of water through a straw as quickly as possible, results aren't that great. That's what I have now running the stock catback w/ the resonator deleted. Both sound and performance wise.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:28 PM

Try forcing a gallon of water through a straw as quickly as possible, results aren't that great. That's what I have now running the stock catback w/ the resonator deleted. Both sound and performance wise.
So the piece you put in is not similar size as the stock resonator? could you post a pic?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:43 AM

It is similar, maybe even slightly larger than the inner diameter of the stock resonator.

I think you're missing the whole point....

I went from a 3" catback to stock, I am just citing the differences I've noticed and strongly recommending no one ever runs headers w/ a stock catback.

Quick Reply: 00-04 Owners: Let's Discuss Catbacks