Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

2002 I35 Electric Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 02:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2002 I35 Electric Seat Question

The motor that moves the driver side seat front to back sounds like it is battery operated and the battery is dying. The seat back tilt function works fine.
With the car engine off, the seat movement actually slowed to a crawl and konked out. When I started the car it seemed to recharge and began to work again. The motor? still sounds like it is struggling and the battery is about to die.
Does anyone know what I've got going on? Is this a DIY fix?
Thanks!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM

EVERYTHING in the car is battery operated. But I think you are asking if there is a battery in the seat motor - no, there is not. It operates off of the car battery. It may seem faster when the engine is running because the voltage is higher when the alternator is charging.

What is going on? One of 3 things. The seat tracks might need to be cleaned and lubricated. The motor brushes are sticking in their holder. The brushes are almost worn out and need to be replaced.

Is it a DIY job. Everything is a DIY job if you have the tools and the smarts. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is a piece of cake and 10 is where you are seriously thinking of getting rid of the car, removing the seat and messing with the motor is a 6 . One of the important pieces of info is that the seat tracks for front/rear motion are separate tracts, but they need to be in sync with each other. If they are even one tooth off, the seat binds because the seat is skewed.

In the Maxima 5th gen section, there are threads about working on the seats, replacing gears, motors, etc.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. I better not mess with it.