Infiniti I30/I35 Similar to a Maxima, yet not really a Maxima. Discussion forum on Nissan's luxury model, the Infiniti I30/I35

1998 I30 Spun rod

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:16 PM

1998 I30 Spun rod

Hi all, I just picked up a 98 I30 for 400 dollars and I have a few things I am going to perform on her whilst I am rebuilding the the venerable VQ that was in her.
1st up is headers, then on to Egr delete, removal of the evaporative emission system * key note "Emission regulations" not required where I live *,
full suspension overhaul due to blown wheel bearings and struts, recover the console lid * thankfully not broken at all *, and rebuild the power steering due to 230,000 miles of YUCK... any thoughts of anything else to look for while in there?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:41 PM

If the power steering high pressure hose has been leaking (or the power steering pump) for any length of time, the bushing in the lower control arm on the passenger side will be rotted out from the oil. Symptom - when you accelerate hard, the car pulls to the side. When you let up on the gas, the car goes straight. If you need to replace the ball joint, replace the control arm because it comes with the ball joint and you also get new bushings.

FYI - the power steering uses DEXRON type auto trans oil. If you use the stuff that calls itself power steering fluid, you will have a buzzing power steering pump.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Considering I have only been only able to run the car off the trailer and back to my shop I have not had the opportunity to verify any other worn suspension components, and since I am overhauling the front end I will simply add this to the list.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Another quick que, I have a 95 maxima 5spd ecu and complete harness is the manual trans ecu capable of being used as an auto trans ecu? I am aware that manual trans and auto trans ECU's are prommed differently, is the difference physical or is strictly in the internal programming and pin placement?