Maxus Discuss the National Maxima Meeting

Maxus 2012: Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 AM

I can see where people would shy away from paying for a package deal like that. My thoughts were that if Aaron *not saying he will again or anything* did the footwork at a decent hotel and got a great group deal that it would probably keep overall costs down and we would plan things around that location... Obviously the group deal wasnt dinner included so people could split up at that time and do something a little more cost effective. But having an entire day planned out, seems to me, would be smart for those that want to stick together and dont mind the events plan. Obviously someone will stray from the plan or just miss certain events.

I personally liked the idea of paying $250 for hotel, 1/4 mile and track time... That meant my room and bored was taken care of and all i had to do was save up some money for the dinners/lunches scheduled...

Either way, I hope we can find a new organizer for next year and get-r-done! The more time to save/plan the better... Gives PLENTY of warning if we start now!
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
The Maxus I attended was done in that way, everyone got their own rooms, did their own thing for dinner and it was a successful event. There were events planned and those that wished to attend simply paid for those specific events. No one was required to buy a specific "package". Just as it was mentioned before, the Maxima community is cheap, myself included and paying a certain amount for events/ items one is not interested in is definitely a turn off. I know based on my past experience we still did things as groups, just in smaller groups and on our own so we still acted as Maxima community/family.
It was fun going out on our own and seeing sights and etc. We even did a quick trip to the mall and even Brian Cattman joined us and none of us had to worry about missing out on certain events we had previously paid for and etc.
Couldn't have said it better.

Give suggestions on cheap hotels but don't force people to use them. Give suggestions like Saturday night dinner is at this restaurant at this time if you are going to go there call ahead and make your own reservations like you normally would. People will show up when they and their group want to. Too much structure and cost scares people away.

Usually people go down in groups and stay down in groups. Yes you branch out and make new friends but you usually stick with your 'crew' and make decisions as a group. Hey do we all want to do dinner where everyone else is going or try somewhere else? Do we all want to attend the AutoX or go sight seeing?

Using the huge drag strip parking lot for judging just makes sense. Everyone gets their early and parks together. You give a time for when the judging will be. If you car isn't there with everyone else's you lose out. Do the Judging early so people can race before it's noon when everything has warmed up.

Some of the largest and most successful meets I have been to are at state parks and everyone brings something to cook or eat. Come and go as you please. Another good place for judging cars. Scenic drives via caravan are also popular and easy. Just give a time it leaves and when you expect to arrive at your destination i.e. we leave at 10am sharp to XYZ state park. We expect to arrive at 11am. Judging starts at noon. BeerBQ starts at Noon. Caravan back at 3pm but you can obviously leave whenevah.

It just needs to be kept simple, easy, flexible, and be as inexpensive as possible for everyone. Give people events, options, and times and let them, and their 'crew', work around it. Keep in mind pick a venue that has other things to do other than cars. People may bring their signifigant other and may use Maxus as an excuse to go on vacation to another part of the country. Having it in bum **** Nebraska is a bad idea.

I still want to know what really happened, how it fell apart, and see some pics of it all...I mean how many maximas actually showed up to this Maxus? 10? 20? 30?

Last edited by FastnFuriousMax; 08-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

here's how to get a successful maxus...
- free food
- free room and board
- free track time
- free admission to where ever the track event is
- free airfare with rental car

even with that....you'll still have people that will complain about stuff.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
Couldn't have said it better.

Give suggestions on cheap hotels but don't force people to use them. Give suggestions like Saturday night dinner is at this restaurant at this time if you are going to go there call ahead and make your own reservations like you normally would. People will show up when they and their group want to. Too much structure and cost scares people away.

Usually people go down in groups and stay down in groups. Yes you branch out and make new friends but you usually stick with your 'crew' and make decisions as a group. Hey do we all want to do dinner where everyone else is going or try somewhere else? Do we all want to attend the AutoX or go sight seeing?

Using the huge drag strip parking lot for judging just makes sense. Everyone gets their early and parks together. You give a time for when the judging will be. If you car isn't there with everyone else's you lose out. Do the Judging early so people can race before it's noon when everything has warmed up.

Some of the largest and most successful meets I have been to are at state parks and everyone brings something to cook or eat. Come and go as you please. Another good place for judging cars. Scenic drives via caravan are also popular and easy. Just give a time it leaves and when you expect to arrive at your destination i.e. we leave at 10am sharp to XYZ state park. We expect to arrive at 11am. Judging starts at noon. BeerBQ starts at Noon. Caravan back at 3pm but you can obviously leave whenevah.

It just needs to be kept simple, easy, flexible, and be as inexpensive as possible for everyone. Give people events, options, and times and let them, and their 'crew', work around it. Keep in mind pick a venue that has other things to do other than cars. People may bring their signifigant other and may use Maxus as an excuse to go on vacation to another part of the country. Having it in bum **** Nebraska is a bad idea.

I still want to know what really happened, how it fell apart, and see some pics of it all...I mean how many maximas actually showed up to this Maxus? 10? 20? 30?
I kept maxus as exactly as you guys suggested, maybe it wasn't like that initially because I did the cost separately and you'd end up SPENDING MORE if it wasn't a package, but knowing maxima owners they tend to look at the small picture instead of the big one, so $250 for two nights in a hotel, two meals, lanyard, t-shirt and 1/4 mile time is too expensive in a typical .org user standpoint.

So that's why I had the two smaller packages starting @ $45

Reason why i did packages because I wanted to make Maxus to have affordable merch for everyone and also I didn't want to pay out of pocket and have a bunch of stuff leftover.

Sure the graph for extra $$$ for fun stuff is less steep, but the financial guy said maybe w/ the package plan we can net an extra 10 people over our projected goal which was 50 participants, that way we have the funding for the extra stuff we were going to do (BBQ on saturday for eg.)

I only had minimal losses w/ Maxus only stuff. I only have 4 leftover shirts that I have and the staff shirts I ended up paying for myself. As for the gas and hours I spent on the Road Rally... Well I ain't mad about that, I'm doing the road rally still so I will see that end up being successful later this month, but I won't be associating it w/ Maximas that way I can net a better response from the general public.

3 Maximas showed up on Friday, 0 on saturday.

We didn't even come close to putting a dent in renting a track out on Sunday so don't even ask about that, I had planned to split cost w/ Sleepy Productions on Sunday and share the track with them... They were actually well on their way to meeting $1,500 while we..... not so much.....

Originally Posted by DanNY
here's how to get a successful maxus...
- free food
- free room and board
- free track time
- free admission to where ever the track event is
- free airfare with rental car

even with that....you'll still have people that will complain about stuff.
bravo sir, hit the nail on the head.

What size shirt do you wear in Hanes? PM me info, I'll send a shirt your way.

Last edited by aackshun; 08-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:25 PM

all sad but true...

Aaron planned it well and gave people a good deal. Or would have if it happened.

Honestly, I hope the next one goes a hellova lot better either way. Ill pay the lump sum or the bit by bit find your own way there way... Now if we can only get other people to do so...

Oh, and Nebraska was just used as an example lol. Like I said, it was a central point between everybody. I still think using that method to get people to come is viable, but apparently Kansas may be better suited...
Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Kansas City would be one of your best bets in the midwest.

Chicago is a bit much for me, but I'd go depending on the events.

St. Louis isn't bad either!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Make everyone drive a little, as opposed to some driving a lot and some driving a little is a good idea. We did that for our meet on Sunday and had 9 maximas there, reppin' WA, ID, and OR
Old 08-01-2012, 02:51 PM

See, that's what's the most fair and reasonable, but we're talking Maxima owners here, Maxus is best kept most successful around where the most active members are, because those same people that'd attend the meet, are the same guys who think driving 3 hrs is too far, so unless it was in their backyard they probably won't attend maxus.

Sad to say but it looks like it's stuck somewhere on the east coast

I'd like to have it in Atlanta
Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
See, that's what's the most fair and reasonable, but we're talking Maxima owners here, Maxus is best kept most successful around where the most active members are, because those same people that'd attend the meet, are the same guys who think driving 3 hrs is too far, so unless it was in their backyard they probably won't attend maxus.

an ATL meet would be so sweet.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:45 PM

Before Maxus 2011 got cancelled people seemed to like the idea of having it in Florida. The overall response seemed good. Florida is on the East Coast thus making it accessible to areas w/ the largest population of Maxima owners, many people have family in FL, and it's also a great destination for a vacation.

Nevertheless, at this point I'm not sure who would be brave enough to step up to the plate.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by JustALTF4
Before Maxus 2011 got cancelled people seemed to like the idea of having it in Florida. The overall response seemed good. Florida is on the East Coast thus making it accessible to areas w/ the largest population of Maxima owners, many people have family in FL, and it's also a great destination for a vacation.

Nevertheless, at this point I'm not sure who would be brave enough to step up to the plate.
Esp. after this year....

Best of luck to the next planner!!
  • **not being sarcastic either**
Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 AM

Chicago is a terrible idea. It cost me 25 dollars in tolls just to drive across that damn city, and that was 2 years ago. I'm sure it's pricier now.

St. Louis isn't a bad idea though. But nay to Atlanta or charlotte, I hated driving through those cities. Atlanta only became bearable after about a week of getting use to it.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:17 AM

call me crazy but i'm betting ATL would be the best spot to have considering the whole southeast area
Old 08-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
Chicago is a terrible idea. It cost me 25 dollars in tolls just to drive across that damn city, and that was 2 years ago. I'm sure it's pricier now.

St. Louis isn't a bad idea though. But nay to Atlanta or charlotte, I hated driving through those cities. Atlanta only became bearable after about a week of getting use to it.
Meh.

But who's near STL, nomsayin?

And we live in Houston, it's the same thing.... Then again you barely drive here anyways

Originally Posted by phatboislim
call me crazy but i'm betting ATL would be the best spot to have considering the whole southeast area
I'm down for ATL SHAWWDDAYYYYYYYYY!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

call me crazy...but maybe we should have regional maxus meets happening on the same day? so there's a maxus meet on NE, SE, midwest, upper midwest, etc etc...doesn't have to be on the SAME exact day...but you get my point.

doesn't have to be a track day. just go out to a local park...get some burgers and dogs and have a cook out and take pics. next day everyone post pics of their local maxus and maybe we can vote online on who got the nicest car and etc? if cost of food is an issue i'll even pop for burgers and dogs (i'll try and get IB to help too) if there's enough interest and it's actually going to food and not gas for the organizer's car.

in doing this....
- reduce the travel for EVERYONE...since it's basically regional.
- smaller scale so it's more affordable for the personal setting it up.
- CHEAPER for everyone...no hotel unless you want to sleep away from your home or don't want to drive home right away.
- no need for track and 1/4 event unless the local people want to do it.
- really no need for trophies...well maybe if we can get the regional organizers to post pics and ppl to vote on their fav cars...(this might even spark up the MOTQ again...yeah i know i'm dreaming..LOL)

thoughts?

BTW i feel bad that maxus really bombed this year and it's clear that the mod scene is really different compared to 5 yrs ago. hopefully these smaller regional events will drum up more interest and perhaps get people out there.

Big thanks to Aaron for sticking his neck out for 2012 and unfortunately the event just fell flat on it's face.

Last edited by DanNY; 08-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 PM

^Sounds like a good idea Danny.

The NE meet is HUGE, IIRC turnout was over 100 cars this year.

If you decided on doing regional events, i would def. be willing to pitch in on an ATL event for the SE. I know the Atlanta maxima scene is/was pretty large a year or two ago
Old 08-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
^Sounds like a good idea Danny.

The NE meet is HUGE, IIRC turnout was over 100 cars this year.

If you decided on doing regional events, i would def. be willing to pitch in on an ATL event for the SE. I know the Atlanta maxima scene is/was pretty large a year or two ago
trying to come up with ideas on getting this to work....and it doesn't HAVE to be EVERY region. just the areas that ppl want to participate in. we can do west coast vs east coast...north vs south..etc etc. thinking it might be fun. then we can post the pics here and maybe award the region for biggest turn out or something.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JustALTF4

Florida would have worked out well. Unfortunately the guy putting it all together ran into personal things, so it didn't happen.

A couple months ago, there was a Nissan Mega Meet down here, and I saw pictures of several Maxima's that were there. I didn't go because my g/f bought me concert tickets for a show in south Florida and it was on the same weekend.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM

that would work...the Pacific NW has folks who are more active now than before, and everyone at our last meet on Sunday seems cool with continuing them...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

call me crazy...but maybe we should have regional maxus meets happening on the same day? so there's a maxus meet on NE, SE, midwest, upper midwest, etc etc...doesn't have to be on the SAME exact day...but you get my point.

doesn't have to be a track day. just go out to a local park...get some burgers and dogs and have a cook out and take pics. next day everyone post pics of their local maxus and maybe we can vote online on who got the nicest car and etc? if cost of food is an issue i'll even pop for burgers and dogs (i'll try and get IB to help too) if there's enough interest and it's actually going to food and not gas for the organizer's car.

in doing this....
- reduce the travel for EVERYONE...since it's basically regional.
- smaller scale so it's more affordable for the personal setting it up.
- CHEAPER for everyone...no hotel unless you want to sleep away from your home or don't want to drive home right away.
- no need for track and 1/4 event unless the local people want to do it.
- really no need for trophies...well maybe if we can get the regional organizers to post pics and ppl to vote on their fav cars...(this might even spark up the MOTQ again...yeah i know i'm dreaming..LOL)

thoughts?

BTW i feel bad that maxus really bombed this year and it's clear that the mod scene is really different compared to 5 yrs ago. hopefully these smaller regional events will drum up more interest and perhaps get people out there.

Big thanks to Aaron for sticking his neck out for 2012 and unfortunately the event just fell flat on it's face.

This is probably the best idea so far. I have in the NE, SE, West Coast, and then where ever else. We all don't have to be at the same place. Having everyone vote online would be neat getting a trophy in the mail would work. Each area can have their own events, setup, etc.

I would suggest we get this started ASAP. DanNY if you are good with it shall we start a thread or would you prefer each local area give you ideas 1st before making anything public? Or can we all just brainstorm in one thread and make an official one after that?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM

thoughts?

Sounds great to me!!! Hell why only 1x a year? Why not break it down into Quarterly's until the attendance or the scenes get bigger, then we can make it bigger by having bi-annuals, and then finally one big annual meet again.

And thanks!!

trying to come up with ideas on getting this to work....and it doesn't HAVE to be EVERY region. just the areas that ppl want to participate in. we can do west coast vs east coast...north vs south..etc etc. thinking it might be fun. then we can post the pics here and maybe award the region for biggest turn out or something.
We should nominate local directors for these events ASAP if we want this to get started.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:46 PM

Sounds great to me!!! Hell why only 1x a year? Why not break it down into Quarterly's until the attendance or the scenes get bigger, then we can make it bigger by having bi-annuals, and then finally one big annual meet again.
I second that motion.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM

With some true effort from organizers, a nationwide regional Maxus event could be done. There are already organizations/clubs in place to accomplish this.

NW Maximas: https://www.facebook.com/groups/325245994195331/
SoCal Maxima (California area): https://www.facebook.com/socal.maxima
Canada: http://www.torontomaxima.com/
Southeast/FL: www.maxxed-out.org and https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...38071966243918
Northeast: www.nycmaximas.org and my4th/5th/6th/7thgen.org

As long as organizers are on their feet and dedicate time to planning it could be done.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Wao, this is pretty bad, this is not the idea i have of maxus events. This is sad.. Glad that i didint go because it will be a decepcion for me to take a vacation, fly from puerto rico to texas and noone show up!

I cancelled my trip because my wedding this year and i needed the money.. Hope that this maxus event dont die.. I will love to attend one..
Old 08-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Mid Atlantic region would win everytime
Old 08-25-2012, 02:54 PM

should of done it in Nashville....
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM

Comments? Complaints? Compliments? Anyone? Bueller?