Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Refilled my Bottle...only air

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM

Refilled my Bottle...only air

I had it filled at HMP motorsports for $50 i feel like they screwed me! As soon as i put tank inand purged i got nothing but air for like 3 seconds then a little liquid. i did a Hit and it took a while then it kicked in but not like it does when i fill it other places..I did 2 short races with it, After that i went Full rich i purged and nothing but air came out! Bottle is empty and light.

I called them and guy saying their is no way because they weigh every bottle he fills and noone has ever came back.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:21 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
I had it filled at HMP motorsports for $50 i feel like they screwed me! As soon as i put tank inand purged i got nothing but air for like 3 seconds then a little liquid. i did a Hit and it took a while then it kicked in but not like it does when i fill it other places..I did 2 short races with it, After that i went Full rich i purged and nothing but air came out! Bottle is empty and light.

I called them and guy saying their is no way because they weigh every bottle he fills and none has ever came back.
Yup - they screwed up on the fill. Probably an empty mother bottle.. Personally, I use a cheap digital bathroom scale ( .2 lb resolution) to weigh every bottle before I get it filled, and weigh it again after getting it back from the person that filled it. To keep everyone honest, I keep a strip of 2" white paper tape running down the bottle and enter the weights and dates with a Sharpie pen. When a bottle goes out for a fill, my last weigh-out is right in front of whoever is filling it. Weigh it when you pick it up, always using your scale, and problems with who-did-what can be resolved right then.

You can also tell how much nitrous is really left in the bottle by weighing it. Empty weights are usually posted on the bottle, but you should weigh each one when totally empty as a reference. Mark that on the bottle as well. I have one steel Edelbrock 15 lb bottle that weighs 33 lbs, and almost all aluminum bottles weigh about 18 lbs - some valves weigh more than others. Also be sure to tighten the valve when getting a filled bottle back.

This may seem like a pain to do, but when filling several bottles, you're going to spend a bunch of bunch of bucks - $300 or more for me.