Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Oil pan taping PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:02 PM

Oil pan taping PLEASE HELP!!!

A little background info... Its my first time turbo'ing a Maxima. Only been part of a turbo Honda build and as we all may know it is by far different. Im need to tap my oil pan for my oil return line from the turbo. Looking at the engine oil pan of the Maxima, I noticed it is very small and it doesn't like the oil will drain from the return line but get clogged with the oil already on the oil pan. Can anyone who has turbo'ed their Maxima let me know how and where they taped their oil pan. Pictures would be great! Any suggestions would help.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM
SLOW

tap the upper pan bro. the aluminum part...

or your can tap the lower and run a scavenge pump.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
tap the upper pan bro. the aluminum part...

or your can tap the lower and run a scavenge pump.
More info about this upper oil pan? Where is it located? Have you personally taped this upper oil pan? If so did you JB welded it? More info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 11-20-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 PM

A little search goes a long way... Found a write up. Seems like hell of a job to remove that sucker. Thanks bro. Any other suggestions? Anyone wants to chime in with how the taped theirs?

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 11-21-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:37 AM
Turbo 3.5

I know one person that used a oil pan spacer for a 350z but this could be a problem if your slammed. I know about 7 other boosted maxima's including myself and all tapped the lower pan and used a 45 or 90 degree -10an fitting

tapping the upper would be the best option thou
Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Remove the lower oil pan and tap directly into the upper oil pan above it. Run an fittings as well and you will be fine.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 AM

I have done both. I did the lower with no ill effects but when i built my next motor i tapped the upper.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:45 AM

This is how the one that's going into my car is. Is there a problem with this setup I'm interested as well before this goes in?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Thanks for all the good advise.

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Remove the lower oil pan and tap directly into the upper oil pan above it. Run an fittings as well and you will be fine.
Im going to take this one into deep consideration...
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING

This is how the one that's going into my car is. Is there a problem with this setup I'm interested as well before this goes in?
That's how I had it planned, but I was thinking, where you're going to be returning the oil to is already full of oil. I wouldnt think it'll pump in, but get backed up on the return line. Someone else might be of more help.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 11-21-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by VQtHuRtY
That's how I had it planned, but I was thinking, where you're going to be returning the oil to is already full of oil. I wouldnt think it'll pump in, but get backed up on the return line. Someone else might be of more help.
Yea I know I thought about this as well and I'm thinking maybe the need to run a scavenge pump. That sounds easier then messing with the upper oil pan unless what shift_max says is easier but then you're still fighting gravity. I think a scavenge pump is the best idea thus far, I rather invest the extra money and not have to worry about it.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:01 AM

Yea I know I thought about this as well and I'm thinking maybe the need to run a scavenge pump. That sounds easier then messing with the upper oil pan unless what shift_max says is easier but then you're still fighting gravity. I think a scavenge pump is the best idea thus far, I rather invest the extra money and not have to worry about it.
That's another electrical device. Before I know it the car is gonna be a darn space ship. Lol. Let me look into the scavenge fuel pump. Google time...
Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM

That's another electrical device. Before I know it the car is gonna be a darn space ship. Lol. Let me look into the scavenge fuel pump. Google time...
haha thats what I've been thinking gathering all these parts for my turbo build, but what did you expect going aftermarket turbo cluttered engine bay and a bunch of electronics. I'm auto to add on top of that so we'll see how I'm going to manage to fit a fmic, oil cooler, and trans cooler I may just have no bumper in the end.

scavengepump.com got a good one and its not as expensive as the others.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 AM

while running most the oil is in the motor and not the pan. I never had mine back up on me. I also had my turbo rather high tho.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
while running most the oil is in the motor and not the pan. I never had mine back up on me. I also had my turbo rather high tho.
How many quarts of oil were you running? I plan to run 5 instead of the 4.xx in order to accommodate for the turbo.

The only guys I've seen that had problems was the RMT guys since the turbo was so low. So far I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the turbo mounted just as kzoosho's pic and that's where mine is being mounted, so I may or may not run a scavenge pump. vqhurty has the turbo specialties kit iirc so his turbo is mounted differently.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 AM

Dont remember. I just filled it with royal purple will it was full lol.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 AM

haha thats what I've been thinking gathering all these parts for my turbo build, but what did you expect going aftermarket turbo cluttered engine bay and a bunch of electronics. I'm auto to add on top of that so we'll see how I'm going to manage to fit a fmic, oil cooler, and trans cooler I may just have no bumper in the end.

scavengepump.com got a good one and its not as expensive as the others.
I know it's going to be cluttered. But the way I see it, the least amount of electronics, the better. The worst thing is to diagnose an electrical problem. I rather go the extra mile and tap the upper oil pan. Im talking to my buddy Lyzek, the brains of the operation. See what he rather do. Thanks to everyone for y'alls help.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 AM

How many quarts of oil were you running? I plan to run 5 instead of the 4.xx in order to accommodate for the turbo.

The only guys I've seen that had problems was the RMT guys since the turbo was so low. So far I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the turbo mounted just as kzoosho's pic and that's where mine is being mounted, so I may or may not run a scavenge pump. vqhurty has the turbo specialties kit iirc so his turbo is mounted differently.

Yeah, my turbo sits in the front exhaust manifold. Much lower than the picture above from kzoosho's setup. Might be a little bit too low to just run it to the lower oil pan.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 11-21-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM

Yeah, my turbo sits in the front exhaust manifold. Much lower than the picture above from kzoosho's setup. Might be a little bit too low to just run it to the lower oil pan.
It sits on the front manifold? that's right above the pan if I'm picturing it correctly you'll be fine.

Btw theres isn't clearance issues with the radiator/fans with this turbo setup?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM

It sits on the front manifold? that's right above the pan if I'm picturing it correctly you'll be fine.

Btw theres isn't clearance issues with the radiator/fans with this turbo setup?
I am very confident to say the fan assembly will be modified or replaced.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:41 AM

U need slim fans. I looked into getting that kit till i seen what it did. I proceeded to make my own after that.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 AM

Yea that kit isn't very appealing for me as well.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 AM
SLOW

Remove the lower pan, drill then tap upper pan for fittings in a place where you can easily run the lines to and where you can easily see inside the pan what you're doing so you don't end up drilling in to your crank counterweights or anything stupid like that.

Also, you fill the oil until it is at the proper level with all your ancillaries attached and filled and record how much you had to put in. You don't predetermine what amount you "plan" to put in. That is asking for trouble.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:27 PM

Nealoc187 is correct. He basically stated what I had said a couple of posts above. It is simpler to remove the lower pan and look inside to see where to tap the upper oil pan so you don't hit anything else. Plus that is alot simpler and less of a headache then to use a scavenger pump.

The upper oil pan is aluminium and is easy to drill and tap. Plus an fittings are not that expensive and make the job alot easier.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Remove the lower pan, drill then tap upper pan for fittings in a place where you can easily run the lines to and where you can easily see inside the pan what you're doing so you don't end up drilling in to your crank counterweights or anything stupid like that.

Also, you fill the oil until it is at the proper level with all your ancillaries attached and filled and record how much you had to put in. You don't predetermine what amount you "plan" to put in. That is asking for trouble.
Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Nealoc187 is correct. He basically stated what I had said a couple of posts above. It is simpler to remove the lower pan and look inside to see where to tap the upper oil pan so you don't hit anything else. Plus that is alot simpler and less of a headache then to use a scavenger pump.

The upper oil pan is aluminium and is easy to drill and tap. Plus an fittings are not that expensive and make the job alot easier.
Good info! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by kzoosho
U need slim fans. I looked into getting that kit till i seen what it did. I proceeded to make my own after that.
Yeah, ill probably have to go with slim fans. Ive never seen a kit like mine done before. I went with the GT35 upgrade. Off the back Im going witb the 3" downpipe and exhaust. So i will be getting rid of the restrictive downpipe. Also, I didnt go with their fuel management system so fine dyno tuning will be achieved with an AEM FIC. The only car I saw with the turbo specialties turbo kit with the t28 put down around 265ish whp. Im expecting to put down atleast 300whp.

Yea that kit isn't very appealing for me as well.
The only thing I really want to upgrade in the future is the intercooler, IC Piping and blow off valve. They could be a bit bigger for better gains.

Last edited by VQtHuRtY; 11-21-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 PM

Yeah, ill probably have to go with slim fans. Ive never seen a kit like mine done before. I went with the GT35 upgrade. Off the back Im going witb the 3" downpipe and exhaust. So i will be getting rid of the restrictive downpipe. Also, I didnt go with their fuel management system so fine dyno tuning will be achieved with an AEM FIC. The only car I saw with the turbo specialties turbo kit with the t28 put down around 265ish whp. Im expecting to put down atleast 300whp.

The only thing I really want to upgrade in the future is the intercooler, IC Piping and blow off valve. They could be a bit bigger for better gains.
That's why I didn't like the kit, basically everything has to be upgraded for the most part. Not worth it for ME when I looked at it I want 300 to start (running 8-10psi) and when I'm done I should be in the 350-400 range (running up to 13psi) .
Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Turbo 3.5

FYI tapping the upper pan will be little hard to do cause the AC is in the way. And to tap the very upper part of the pan you'll need to drop it to clean out the metal shavings.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

When putting together my friend's boosted Maxima, we tapped the upper oil pan. There's a flat spot on the pan facing towards the front off the car that was perfect. The aluminum is soft so it went through like butter.

Even though people do have success returning the oil back to the lower pan, I would feel a little more safe with the upper.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 AM
The Crazy Azz Cracka

Keep in mind that you wont have to rely on gravity alone. Along as the turbo is above the cold oil level, there will be no problem with back up. Plus the turbo has between 14 and 60 PSI of pressure on the high pressure side of the turbo. It doesnt completely go away when it goes through the turbo. That pressure will continue to push it throught the oil pan.

Originally Posted by essential1
When putting together my friend's boosted Maxima, we tapped the upper oil pan. There's a flat spot on the pan facing towards the front off the car that was perfect. The aluminum is soft so it went through like butter.

Even though people do have success returning the oil back to the lower pan, I would feel a little more safe with the upper.

Thats what I did. Dang Nanny filter at work wont let my on my photobucket account, I'll post up a pic later.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 AM

That's why I didn't like the kit, basically everything has to be upgraded for the most part. Not worth it for ME when I looked at it I want 300 to start (running 8-10psi) and when I'm done I should be in the 350-400 range (running up to 13psi) .
You plan on putting all that power on an A/T? That will be interesting to see how it puts it down or for how long. Wish you the best luck.

Originally Posted by t6378tp
FYI tapping the upper pan will be little hard to do cause the AC is in the way. And to tap the very upper part of the pan you'll need to drop it to clean out the metal shavings.
I figured that out. I was planning on taping the upper, but the AC compressor was in the way. I taped the lower oil pan. If I encounter any issues , I'll run a scavenger pump.

Originally Posted by essential1

Did ur friend keep his AC?

Originally Posted by choray911
Keep in mind that you wont have to rely on gravity alone. Along as the turbo is above the cold oil level, there will be no problem with back up. Plus the turbo has between 14 and 60 PSI of pressure on the high pressure side of the turbo. It doesnt completely go away when it goes through the turbo. That pressure will continue to push it throught the oil pan.

Thats what I did. Dang Nanny filter at work wont let my on my photobucket account, I'll post up a pic later.
I hope it wont give me issues. Let's hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Did ur friend keep his AC?

Yup
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 AM

You plan on putting all that power on an A/T? That will be interesting to see how it puts it down or for how long. Wish you the best luck.
Yes, I have upgraded my VB and will run a trans cooler with synthetic fluid. If the trans is acting up, I'll swap in a low mileage AT and swap in the upgraded VB. There is also potential of a supra stick to "tune" the AT if needed but I doubt I'll go that far with it.

A few ATs have held up pretty well on SC'd and TC'd maximas, so I have faith .