Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Another rmt 2002 maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 09:15 PM

Hey just wanted to put a little new reading up in the turbo thread. Been busting my *** the last few days and I'm finally done. It's getting dark so I'll ad pics tomorrow. Before the vitals I'll just say that all work was done and paid for by myself. Install was done solo with only ramps. Yes it was a little uncomfortable, but when you hear that beast start to spool totally worth it. Garrett gtp 38 powerstroke turbo. .84 ar and 1.0 comp 60mm in 70mm out I'm almost certain.
utec for engine management. Pnp surratt special. Tial w38mm wastegate Tial 50mm blow off Since gtp38 has 3" inlet I kept my 3" exhaust and it starts to spool at 2800 to 3000. Car is auto so it maintains. I have sandwich plate 4an feed 10an drain with pump. Put a check valve after the pump right after and so far no issues. Well it's been a long couple days and I'm driving right now so I'm going to call it a night I cannot say enough how pleased I am with setup. A couple of headaches yes but got most ironed out. Car feels fast seems to have a really nice power curve for a 4 psi spring. Mbc not in place yet. One issue that I had to overcome was will inlet outlet for turbo. I did this with my own engineering LOL. It seems to be holding up.

Last edited by Mattx; 06-10-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Forgot to ad that I have transgo shift kit. Probably soon adding a cooler.

Last edited by Mattx; 06-10-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:59 AM

Can't wait to see this in action!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Can't wait to see this in action!
Thanx Monoceff On my way to work right now and I haven't had this much fun or had so many double takes in years.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:12 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

In for pics
Old 06-12-2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
In for pics
Yea sorry for the delay I just have been a little busy and its slipped my mind a few times. Tomorrow for sure.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:26 PM

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-13-2015, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
[/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG] [/URL][/IMG]
Not sure why pics aren't coming up but to anyone with rmt having oil issues. When I did my lines I used 4 an oil feed line and a 4 an restrictor all is good. Not sure if others were using big oil lines and putting a small restrictor at the end. If they were I could see how they could have problems. I used a 10 an return let that go into pump the right after pump I put check valve all is well. As a matter of fact I don't even need to run my pump after car is off. Haven't had one smokey start or any issues yet. This is my daily driver so only car I have and it sees 60 mi round trip to work everyday. I've only had a problem figuring out where to run my blow off valve reference. If anyone could help let me know.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:47 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5hofczb76...17.18.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hcc4w949ps...17.42.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqovivt2i1...18.11.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1abvghecr...18.30.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/04bvi9dka8...20.52.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pbokjgf62...52.38.jpg?dl=0
Old 06-14-2015, 07:36 AM

Old 06-14-2015, 09:20 AM
Turbo 3.5

run the bov vac source behind the tb
Old 06-14-2015, 09:22 AM

Right?

When I saw that picture I couldn't help but notice the lack of clearance.
That won't work for long.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM

You got to remember this is my daily driver. I have to get to work everyday so I've been tweeking the setup everyday. Its far from a finished setup. Thank you for the throttle body idea I wasn't sure if that would work or not.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:14 PM

My spool time has decreased also last night while messing with blow off valve I realized I never tightened the vband clamp on it so I had a nice leak. I've since tightened and gained a good amount of rpm.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by t6378tp
run the bov vac source behind the tb
Hey tom where is a good spot for my map reference?
Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 AM

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Ok im going to be honest.

You need to seriously spend a weekend cleaning all of that up and making sure all your lines and pipes have proper clearance from the ground and the exhuast. Your turbo's oil return line looks like you will have oil leaks fairly quickily. And there is a rubber line that seems to be resting on your exhaust in the same picture. Zip tie ends everywhere. I'll put money down that you have little issues all over the place, small leak here, small leak there, wierd noise from this area, temporary fixes everywhere turned "permenant" etc.

+A for effort but your car right now should not be on the road. It still needs work. I know the feeling as im still working on my car, everything I had to make myself but at the same time i feel my car is unfit for the road its modifications looks better than yours, plus its my weekend car not DD. Most of this stuff is easy fixes, what i suggest is go to a performance shop and let them look at it and they will list out everything that you need to do. It will mostly be easy fixes. They will make it seem like the end of the world is gonna happen to your car of course lol. But good luck.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
Ok im going to be honest. You need to seriously spend a weekend cleaning all of that up and making sure all your lines and pipes have proper clearance from the ground and the exhuast. Your turbo's oil return line looks like you will have oil leaks fairly quickily. And there is a rubber line that seems to be resting on your exhaust in the same picture. Zip tie ends everywhere. I'll put money down that you have little issues all over the place, small leak here, small leak there, wierd noise from this area, temporary fixes everywhere turned "permenant" etc. +A for effort but your car right now should not be on the road. It still needs work. I know the feeling as im still working on my car, everything I had to make myself but at the same time i feel my car is unfit for the road its modifications looks better than yours, plus its my weekend car not DD. Most of this stuff is easy fixes, what i suggest is go to a performance shop and let them look at it and they will list out everything that you need to do. It will mostly be easy fixes. They will make it seem like the end of the world is gonna happen to your car of course lol. But good luck.
I value all opinions and I won't say you don't make good points. There is absolutely nothing unsafe about my car. As I said in earlier posts. I have no check engine lights and I drive 60 plus miles round trip just to and from work daily. Haven't had one problem. Zip ties aren't the worst thing in the world. Your looking at a couple of pictures. Angles and lighting can make things look different then they are. I have no oil leaks no exhaust leaks and my charge side though low (which I'm in the process of raising) has only scrapped once. Like I said your opinion is valued but don't make safety judgements off a few pics and problems your having.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:48 PM

Ok im going to be honest. You need to seriously spend a weekend cleaning all of that up and making sure all your lines and pipes have proper clearance from the ground and the exhuast. Your turbo's oil return line looks like you will have oil leaks fairly quickily. And there is a rubber line that seems to be resting on your exhaust in the same picture. Zip tie ends everywhere. I'll put money down that you have little issues all over the place, small leak here, small leak there, wierd noise from this area, temporary fixes everywhere turned "permenant" etc. +A for effort but your car right now should not be on the road. It still needs work. I know the feeling as im still working on my car, everything I had to make myself but at the same time i feel my car is unfit for the road its modifications looks better than yours, plus its my weekend car not DD. Most of this stuff is easy fixes, what i suggest is go to a performance shop and let them look at it and they will list out everything that you need to do. It will mostly be easy fixes. They will make it seem like the end of the world is gonna happen to your car of course lol. But good luck.
Post some pics of your modifications. Maybe I could get some ideas from you.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:34 PM

I value all opinions and I won't say you don't make good points. There is absolutely nothing unsafe about my car. As I said in earlier posts. I have no check engine lights and I drive 60 plus miles round trip just to and from work daily. Haven't had one problem. Zip ties aren't the worst thing in the world. Your looking at a couple of pictures. Angles and lighting can make things look different then they are. I have no oil leaks no exhaust leaks and my charge side though low (which I'm in the process of raising) has only scrapped once. Like I said your opinion is valued but don't make safety judgements off a few pics and problems your having.
That low hanging charge pipe and oil feed line kinda tells the story for me but maybe my assumptions are wrong.

Post some pics of your modifications. Maybe I could get some ideas from you.
My car is not RMT, it has a more traditional feedpipe designed to maximize ground clearance, so i have no low hanging pipes and wires, my crossmember sits about 2 inches off the ground, So my setup would not give you many if any ideas.

Kevlo has one of the better RMT setups if you are interested in looking at other RMT, aswell as Streetzlegend:

https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...ild-works.html
Old 06-15-2015, 09:15 PM

So then your crossmember sits much lower than my charge pipe even before I moved it. Not a single oil line or any other piece of my car sits that low off the ground.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:55 PM

That low hanging charge pipe and oil feed line kinda tells the story for me but maybe my assumptions are wrong. My car is not RMT, it has a more traditional feedpipe designed to maximize ground clearance, so i have no low hanging pipes and wires, my crossmember sits about 2 inches off the ground, So my setup would not give you many if any ideas. Kevlo has one of the better RMT setups if you are interested in looking at other RMT, aswell as Streetzlegend: https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...ild-works.html
What's the sense in maximizing ground clearance if your crossmember is 2" off the ground?? Kevlo and streetz sure do have great setups. They've also had 7 to 8 yrs to make them great I've had a week. Imagine what I could do in another couple of months let alone years. You fail to consider that I put this whole thing together in three days. Like I've explained before numerous times I don't have the luxury of two cars at the moment. Does that mean that I shouldn't be able too turbo my car?? I don't think for the time and money I've got into it came pretty good in my eyes. If you disagree that's cool too just make sure when your car is up and running safely you post pics. Honestly I hope it all works out for you and I'd be the first one to congratulate you on a job well done. Have you picked your turbo yet?? Are you 3.5 or 3.0?? Reverse ypipe? Are you welding all of your feed and exhaust pipes?? If not and you're close to New Jersey I'd be happy to help. Got a miller mig with plenty of gas.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:37 AM

What's the sense in maximizing ground clearance if your crossmember is 2" off the ground?? Kevlo and streetz sure do have great setups. They've also had 7 to 8 yrs to make them great I've had a week. Imagine what I could do in another couple of months let alone years. You fail to consider that I put this whole thing together in three days. Like I've explained before numerous times I don't have the luxury of two cars at the moment. Does that mean that I shouldn't be able too turbo my car?? I don't think for the time and money I've got into it came pretty good in my eyes. If you disagree that's cool too just make sure when your car is up and running safely you post pics. Honestly I hope it all works out for you and I'd be the first one to congratulate you on a job well done. Have you picked your turbo yet?? Are you 3.5 or 3.0?? Reverse ypipe? Are you welding all of your feed and exhaust pipes?? If not and you're close to New Jersey I'd be happy to help. Got a miller mig with plenty of gas.
You have something i dont have a welder lol. Good luck to you i wouldn't have boosted my only car, but some people have. Most end up just buying second cars.

Maximizing ground clearance means that the chassis limitations are my ground clearance not the plumbing for the turbo. My car has its own thread this, one is yours so im not going to discuss my car in your thread:

https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...ted-3-0-a.html

Last edited by Crusher103; 06-16-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:26 PM

Not to be critical of you, but what you're saying here is akin to what I see constantly from people incapable of forming coherent sentences and/or spelling properly. Strange analogy, I know - but what those people say is they were "just typing fast" or "in a rush", and that excuse has always been so foreign to me. Even when I'm "in a rush" my sentences and spelling are spot-on. I'd have to go out of my way to write a huge single run-on sentence paragraph or spell poorly. It would literally be MORE DIFFICULT for me to have terrible grammar or writing skills. Same thing with this kind of stuff.

Doing something like this here would actually be more work and more time consuming for me, not to mention would mentally wreck me if I drove around daily like this:

Name:  C6DE953F-0F8A-4AB6-A1C1-4ED1858BB720_zpsema2gkl0.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  202.8 KB

Yes, that really is THAT bad - doesn't matter if you were in a rush or whatever. That picture is a prime candidate to get some hilarious text added to it and end up floating around automotive forums for years to come as a homemade turbo meme. I'm not trying to be mean at all about that. It really is that bad.

I'm glad (and shocked, actually) you haven't destroyed it yet during your commute. It's not as if the rest of us here have built some totally raggedy setup, then constantly totally reengineered them over 7 or 8 years. All my piping I've built still looks exactly the same as it did on day 1 (or 3 like you say). Don't see the point of throwing together something very questionable just to then have to re-do it. I taught myself to weld on my reverse y-pipe turbo piping, and to this day 8-9 years later I still have that exact same piping/setup.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Not to be critical of you, but what you're saying here is akin to what I see constantly from people incapable of forming coherent sentences and/or spelling properly. Strange analogy, I know - but what those people say is they were "just typing fast" or "in a rush", and that excuse has always been so foreign to me. Even when I'm "in a rush" my sentences and spelling are spot-on. I'd have to go out of my way to write a huge single run-on sentence paragraph or spell poorly. It would literally be MORE DIFFICULT for me to have terrible grammar or writing skills. Same thing with this kind of stuff. Doing something like this here would actually be more work and more time consuming for me, not to mention would mentally wreck me if I drove around daily like this: Yes, that really is THAT bad - doesn't matter if you were in a rush or whatever. That picture is a prime candidate to get some hilarious text added to it and end up floating around automotive forums for years to come as a homemade turbo meme. I'm not trying to be mean at all about that. It really is that bad. I'm glad (and shocked, actually) you haven't destroyed it yet during your commute. It's not as if the rest of us here have built some totally raggedy setup, then constantly totally reengineered them over 7 or 8 years. All my piping I've built still looks exactly the same as it did on day 1 (or 3 like you say). Don't see the point of throwing together something very questionable just to then have to re-do it. I taught myself to weld on my reverse y-pipe turbo piping, and to this day 8-9 years later I still have that exact same piping/setup.
Well damn I'm not the best maxima turbo builder on the site. It's a good thing I wasn't trying to be. Like I said you're looking at one picture that pipe has since been moved. I find it amazing that you are still harping on something that if you've done as good a job reading as with your perfect grammar you would've understood has been changed. Problem was to be perfectly honest the pipe kit I purchased, well the kit and a half wasn't enough. So I had to adapt and find some pipe on the fly and that is the best I could come up with. I'm so very sure the very first kit you made and put on for the first time all those years ago was never adjusted or anything. You must be the best turbo builder ever. Please.
If you really believe that then go ahead. I don't. There are always going to be adjustments. I'm glad to amuse you though maybe instead of practicing your grammar you try your reading comprehension.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Well damn I'm not the best maxima turbo builder on the site. It's a good thing I wasn't trying to be. Like I said you're looking at one picture that pipe has since been moved. I find it amazing that you are still harping on something that if you've done as good a job reading as with your perfect grammar you would've understood has been changed. Problem was to be perfectly honest the pipe kit I purchased, well the kit and a half wasn't enough. So I had to adapt and find some pipe on the fly and that is the best I could come up with. I'm so very sure the very first kit you made and put on for the first time all those years ago was never adjusted or anything. You must be the best turbo builder ever. Please.
If you really believe that then go ahead. I don't. There are always going to be adjustments. I'm glad to amuse you though maybe instead of practicing your grammar you try your reading comprehension.
I'm harping on that one picture because it really is (was?) THAT bad. No reason to get all defensive, you're the one who posted that publicly. Surely you didn't expect compliments? If you're honest with yourself I'm sure you realize(d) how awful that was. It appeared you had about 1" of clearance. Not only that but I'm sure you know that totally kinked bend (I use the term "bend" loosely) severely hampers (hampered?) your performance.

And hate to break it to you, but my piping is unchanged from that first weekend I built my charge piping. And yes this was my only car and daily driver back then. Original (notice the hideous flux core welding - as I said, I taught myself to weld on the reverse y-pipe):

Name:  Picture1440.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  116.8 KB

Now:

Name:  image_zps5316e282.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  118.6 KB

No pissing match necessary as I'm of course nowhere near the best turbo builder. There are/were lots of very skilled guys here, several of which in particular have been extremely helpful to me over the years. Yes all of our cars go through adjustments, as mine is as we speak - my car had excessive blow-by and I'm currently rebuilding the engine with forged internals. But my charge piping is still unchanged. Don't know why you insist I'd be lying about that. I guess I do need to work on my reading comprehension as I did miss any mention of you previously about fixing your meme-prone pipe.

As I'm sure you've found out, those piping kits you buy are almost more trouble than they're worth, which is why I didn't even try to use any universal kits, and I can see why that forced you to have a lower hanging pipe than you'd like.

All that said, I'm glad you fixed that pipe. Carry on

Dare I say I'm in for pics of your revised setup?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 PM

Sorry if I was a bit quick to snap but I did try to explain that I had fixed said problem. The universal charge piping can be difficult but the mandrel bends and light weight are also kinda nice. A couple of the things were and some still are sloppy but like I said I work full time. So when you try and run home from work eat relax or not then only limited time to put stuff together. It makes it rough. No lift doesn't help. You end up coming to that point of do I or can I finish or do I dismantle and start again tomorrow. This is my first attempt to boost a car with no help and no lift so some things were a little difficult. One thing that I did want and accomplished was having a little security. I didn't want someone to be able just to crawl under car and with a wrench take my turbo. So I did something I thought would help, I welded one of those exhaust u bolt clamps to the turbo and drilled two holes in my trunk. I then took the clamp side put that over the ubolt and tightened up clamp. It served for support for turbo as well not just piping holding it up. Like I said though this is really my first attempt at anything like this so all in all I'm happy. It's a lot of fun.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 PM

I like that setup. I'm actually looking to get a 350 or 370 sometime hopefully soon. So I didn't want to go too crazy with a conventional setup.
Once you weld with gas speaking of ugly welds, you always end up thinking why did I ever use flux in the first place.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:44 PM

Ohh one more thing I just thought about. Not trying in any way to make excuses. I can't tell in the picture and I don't remember off hand but I may be on ramps on the rear end of the car. That is how I did everything with one set of ramps so the car could actually be up in the back in that picture. I can't say for certain it is or isn't but I just thought about it.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Black Lion

I take my hat off to you guy for doing your own piping and all the work with no help. It is really tough, I did my own super charger myself but I had plenty of pics and reference to do a hell of a job on my own as well. Also my only car may I add.

Some people don't care about neatness and that's cool, some strife for perfection and thats cool as well. In the end, if you're are happy that's all that matters. But most importantly that the car runs properly and safely.

Matt, I'm sure once time allows you will fix and clean things up. Its your first go at this and you should be proud of yourself. Sounds like you are from some of your posts. So again hat off to you.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
I take my hat off to you guy for doing your own piping and all the work with no help. It is really tough, I did my own super charger myself but I had plenty of pics and reference to do a hell of a job on my own as well. Also my only car may I add. Some people don't care about neatness and that's cool, some strife for perfection and thats cool as well. In the end, if you're are happy that's all that matters. But most importantly that the car runs properly and safely. Matt, I'm sure once time allows you will fix and clean things up. Its your first go at this and you should be proud of yourself. Sounds like you are from some of your posts. So again hat off to you.
Thanks man I've cleaned up the front pipe I just haven't posted any pics of it. Actually all the piping has been cleaned up and looks much different now. Oil lines have been raised and it's just much cleaner now. All things that were going to be done I just needed time to do it. I will post pictures of the new setup soon. I appreciate the positive feedback though thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:46 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8vrm38o30...37.06.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7ql4ssiix...51.15.jpg?dl=0
Old 08-03-2015, 08:16 AM

Much MUCH better. Hats off to taking the advice of me an others about your piping that looks a lot better. Seems like something is leaking to some oil so that will need to be looked at but good job on the fix.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 PM

Thanks. That oil is rear valve cover plus I believe it's also mixed with the driverside thermostat?? I think that's what it is under the cover where the coolant hard pipes come off that side of block? I thought I read that somewhere but I could be wrong??
Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 PM

Much MUCH better. Hats off to taking the advice of me an others about your piping that looks a lot better. Seems like something is leaking to some oil so that will need to be looked at but good job on the fix.
Ohh you were referring to the spare tire well. Had a hose blow off the pump and just never cleaned up the tire well.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:34 PM

Intercooler added pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epj3oz2pg6...13.20.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swjtz0xg05...13.16.jpg?dl=0
Old 09-15-2015, 05:19 PM

That picture is a prime candidate to get some hilarious text added to it and end up floating around automotive forums for years to come as a homemade turbo meme.
Name:  IMG_20150915_191042_zpse10pej8q.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  282.9 KB
Old 09-15-2015, 08:46 PM

I wasn't going to bother with a reply but tomorrow after work I'll raise the car up and take pictures of the setup again so all you girls can comment. I especially love comments from the ones who couldn't do their own swaps or builds themselves. Those are the ones that are truly the funniest.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 PM

For the Love Of Jesus!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:18 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsrg3kjwhl...52.40.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9y1fjgonqm...52.26.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/epj3oz2pg6...13.20.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhvkd6qxrh...58.04.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47v24yrhnl...52.46.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1c6fdec8x...54.41.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6g87urbac....54.54.jpg?dl=

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgxegadd5l...57.37.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/li7qxdcmf5...56.04.jpg?dl=0

There you go have fun.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
For the Love Of Jesus!
Ohh did you bring your boyfriend with you?? I guess you need back up with how bad you looked last night huh??

Quick Reply: Another rmt 2002 maxima