Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

Streetz rmt vs fmt opinionated info thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:22 PM

Streetz rmt vs fmt opinionated info thread

As I asked earlier in another thread if streetz could give his valuable opinions on each setups pros and cons. For anyone new to this site there's a reason why streetz name is what it is. He was if not the first at least the first to document a rear mount turbo build on a maxima. He started the rmt close to ten years ago. He has since moved to a front mount turbo. So he might also be the only one to have had both. Not too sure about that but he's the only one presently still posting to have both I believe. He's also had lots of experience with the cooling of charged air between meth injection and intercoolers. Just and overall vast knowledge of turboing a maxima.

Streetz I know I've left a lot out and who knows I could be the only one to read this but let's start with just maybe anything else you'd like to add. Also your opinion on the two setups what you like and dislike about each and which you prefer and why?

Anyone else who has questions or thoughts please add. I'd like too keep this as an information/opinion thread. Feel free to give opinions but keep the thread about Turbos and maximas. Rmt or fmt.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:39 PM

Sure matt, ill try to break this down, but also answering questions is easier. The rear mount was alot of fun, it was my first turbo experience, I was in college and broke. The main reason for rear mount was cost, it was very in expensive compared to a front mount mainly due to not needing a feed pipe. Installation was real easy, just cut off the muffler in the catback and put a T flange for the turbo, then get a ton of intercooler piping and route it to the front.

Rear mount issues and improvements:
The main issues I had with the rear mount was the oiling. I did not invest in a proven quality scavenge pump, I used a shurflo pump but ended up adding a second one because the oil was not being pulled from the turbo fast enough and was smoking the exhaust; once that was done, it was golden.

One of the most significant improvements I made to the rear mount was upgrading from 2inch to 2.5inch charge piping, everything changed for me increased boost, quicker spool up, and ofcourse wrapping the ypipe and entire catback is a must.

Why the change?
The quickest answer is, my wife bought me a welder and I wanted to learn on something, so I fabricated a charge pipe that would leave the turbo right at the grill, somewhat similar to HLH's turbo setup. I was actually planning to stay rear mount for ever if it were not for the welder gift. From what I remember, having the same turbo at the front I did not notice a significant difference I dont think in spool up and performance. I quickly changed to a larger turbo so I did not really get the chance to compare in detail, I had the rear mount spooling real fast with a T3 .70ar housing.

Another improvement was removing the 24in resonator from the catback, it made a huge difference in spool up, I believe I had a magnaflow straight through but even being like that it still killed spool up. The best setup is having no cats, no resonators, from ypipe straight to the turbo 2.5in, then have a muffler after the turbo.

Which do I prefer?
Well one issue that I have had to attack has been engine bay temperatures, I have had occasional heating issues here and there, which I had never experienced with the rear mount so that is a downer but there's things to correct that heat, wrapping, heat shields, hood vents. The rear mount is best for being stealthy (engine bay looks stock), no high temps in the bay, cool sounding specially if you have a resonator before the turbo. Basically a cleaner setup. I however would choose a front mount just for the fact that it looks bad ***, specially when you can see the turbo through the grill.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:04 AM

I need pictures please of the turbo location and how you Fabricated the piping on the hot side. I myself have a Miller mig welder flux core/solid core so I've also contemplated making a front mount setup just to try it. I've thought about running hot piping back to front with rectangular style tubing going underneath the motor to join the front. Because I live in the northeast this winter I threw on a cheap eBay turbo that believe it or not works very well. I'm waiting for the weather to break because I have my gtx3076r swap out. I haven't had this turbo on my car yet it's been totally rebuilt the only thing that isn't new is the shaft and turbine wheel.

How much has meth injection helped in you being able to run 22psi?? Could you be running that much boost without it??
Old 03-09-2016, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
I need pictures please of the turbo location and how you Fabricated the piping on the hot side. I myself have a Miller mig welder flux core/solid core so I've also contemplated making a front mount setup just to try it. I've thought about running hot piping back to front with rectangular style tubing going underneath the motor to join the front. Because I live in the northeast this winter I threw on a cheap eBay turbo that believe it or not works very well. I'm waiting for the weather to break because I have my gtx3076r swap out. I haven't had this turbo on my car yet it's been totally rebuilt the only thing that isn't new is the shaft and turbine wheel.

How much has meth injection helped in you being able to run 22psi?? Could you be running that much boost without it??
I think I always used the meth with the holset turbos, the meth/water helps a ton. I currently dont use the meth however I am showing indication that I need to increase octane so i might put the meth back. As for rear mount, the whole idea of the long distance of piping cooling down is not accurate, yes it might reduce slightly but not enough to not need cooling, fyi.

Here is a good thread to read up on, its another rear mount we did and my pictures are in there too: https://maxima.org/forums/supercharg...ml#post6311422
Old 03-09-2016, 08:30 AM

I was interested in pictures of your new front mount piping setup. I'd like to see how you have the turbo up front and the piping going to it.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:24 PM

View this post on Instagram

You can see on my instagram I have a bunch of videos and pictures:
https://www.instagram.com/streetzlegend/
Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 PM

What return oil pump did you end up settling with? Was it one of the ultra expensive ones or just an eBay gear driven pump?
Old 03-10-2016, 06:49 AM

Oh ok I see you answered my question. You used 2 shurflo pumps. Those are diaphragm pumps if I recall. You never switched to a gear driven pump? How did you plum in two pumps?
Old 03-15-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mattx
Oh ok I see you answered my question. You used 2 shurflo pumps. Those are diaphragm pumps if I recall. You never switched to a gear driven pump? How did you plum in two pumps?
The house came out of the turbo then to a T and each leg went to a pump, then a T after the pumps to send a single line to the front and to the oil cap.

Never went with the gear driven pump, but I recommend it they just cost alot, like 400+
Old 03-16-2016, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
The house came out of the turbo then to a T and each leg went to a pump, then a T after the pumps to send a single line to the front and to the oil cap. Never went with the gear driven pump, but I recommend it they just cost alot, like 400+
Ok I see makes sense. You had your return oil dumping into the oil cap itself or did you drill out the valve cover? Or did you drill and thread the cap itself?

One thing I've had to keep trying things with is the filter on the turbo. I've noticed on rainy days once the streets are wet you can suck water. I've tried a couple different setups. Right now the one that's worked best for me is a simple 3/4 shield. It seems to do a decent job. I also have a polyester type cover over the filter. It's water resistant but not water proof. I still from time to time end up getting some water in the intake. Is there a better way to guard against that?
Old 03-19-2016, 08:56 PM

I honestly never dealt with water at all and if I did, i just revved it to make sure i would clear it up and not puddle, but that was very rare. I live in miami where it rains year round. An idea is to route the inlet pipe to a corner then box it up with sheet metal and make holes or slits for it to breath. but i really didnt need any of that. I do have progress springs which arent very low, the *** is up high.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I honestly never dealt with water at all and if I did, i just revved it to make sure i would clear it up and not puddle, but that was very rare. I live in miami where it rains year round. An idea is to route the inlet pipe to a corner then box it up with sheet metal and make holes or slits for it to breath. but i really didnt need any of that. I do have progress springs which arent very low, the *** is up high.
My setup is up plenty high. I had a problem in the very beginning with height. But once I switched to where I'm at now I've never once had anything scrape. But during prolonged rainy periods I've had water get sucked in. Boxing the entire filter in does seem like it could work. Right now I have a 3/4 shield which out of everything I've tried seems to work best.