Supercharged/Turbocharged The increase in air/fuel pressure above atmospheric pressure in the intake system caused by the action of a supercharger or turbocharger attached to an engine.

96 supercharged 5spd

Old 11-16-2016, 10:21 PM

96 supercharged 5spd

I picked up this car in decent shape from Quebec this weekend and got it back to the Toronto area. Haven't posted in a while but I have a few q's about supercharging and supporting mods. So dude had a 12 or 13psi pulley on it (guessing the 2.87) and was building it slowly but gave up his fbo 5.5g and s'charge 4g maxima gave it to me n my boy...

He was going to finish it , this is what he had done 00vi with 370cc z32 injectors, z32 maf and a safc1. He said all it would need is a aem 320lph fuel pump and accufab adjustable for with gauge set to 51psi at idle.

Currently it's running with the blower on but not hooked up and usim installed with stock maf (so n/a)... this was so I could test out the car and drive it full throttle to test it out a bit, otherwise I couldn't do that without it grenading untuned.

-What sizing injectors is recommended ? I believe those are too small

-would I be OK with walbro 255lph?

-thoughts on the adjustable fpr?

-what ate the in/out settings on the safc1 for z32 maf?

I know it's a Lil crude but at this point I want to get it running under some boost safely enough to drive around. I plan to add intercooler (purposely want to reduce a Lil psi and perhaps help with knock this way) and greddy emanage but this is what am working with right now.

Any advice or help welcome let me know! Thanks
Old 11-17-2016, 08:16 AM
Got Retrofit?

You're gonna need 550cc injectors and a Z32 MAF.

255lph will be fine. 320lph won't hurt it though.

You're probably gonna want a AFPR as well.

Ditch the SAFC idea and go with Nistune. You're going to want to adjust timing as well.

Other suggestion would be one step colder plugs with slightly smaller gap.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Measure the boost pulley and confirm it's size. Size matters in this case on what size injectors to run.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:59 AM
I like Maximas

wjat size piping used and does the piping setup have an intercooler inline, what BOV is used?

please post pics of the setup, so we can give better advice.

but yes, best setup would be 00vi + PFTB + 440cc with meth kit OR 570cc gtr injectors (assuming no intercooler for SC PSI/cfm drop) and definitely Nistune for tuning instead of a SAFC1

Walbro 255HP is good, but they do have failures, mine and friends have failed after short use.

I personally run an AEM 320 fuel pump for reliability

Last edited by vipervadim; 11-20-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:06 PM

I'll be following this thread as I also have a supercharger to install. Actually, I think we may have purchased our SC setups from the same person.

If you're going to buy the Walbro 255, you may consider this one as well:
"HFP-342 Intank 255LPH EFI High Pressure Fuel Pump - Walbro GSS342 Alternative"

That's the listing title on ebay. When I researched the Walbro, pretty much everyone said they make quite a loud humming noise. This one is supposed to run quiet, no hum. Probably not a big deal, but for roughly the same price, quiet is usually more popular than noisy.

The pulley should have the size printed right on it, on the side, in small white lettering. If this was purchased through the seller on fb, I think he said it was a 2.87.

On a side note, I have an intercooler for sale if you're interested.

To your question about an fpr, if you get larger injectors, upgraded fuel pump, and a tuning device, you won't need another fpr, you can use the stock one. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:38 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by TSelanne
I'll be following this thread as I also have a supercharger to install. Actually, I think we may have purchased our SC setups from the same person.

That's the listing title on ebay. When I researched the Walbro, pretty much everyone said they make quite a loud humming noise. This one is supposed to run quiet, no hum. Probably not a big deal, but for roughly the same price, quiet is usually more popular than noisy.

The pulley should have the size printed right on it, on the side, in small white lettering. If this was purchased through the seller on fb, I think he said it was a 2.87.

To your question about an fpr, if you get larger injectors, upgraded fuel pump, and a tuning device, you won't need another fpr, you can use the stock one. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I have the walbro 255 as well and I really only hear mine when i first start the car it isnt bad at all.

regarding the FPR, upgrading the fuel rail youll be eliminating the stock FPR so youll need to get one so you can adjust to the correct fuel pressure.

Last edited by maxprivate; 11-25-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
regarding the FPR, upgrading the fuel rail youll be eliminating the stock FPR so youll need to get one so you can adjust to the correct fuel pressure.
why would you need to upgrade the fuel rail? not sure what you mean by this.(?)
Old 11-30-2016, 07:36 AM
Black Lion

why would you need to upgrade the fuel rail? not sure what you mean by this.(?)
I was assuming he was upgrading his since doing the injectors plus aftermarket rails look much cooler I guess if you're not in the 450 + hp range you won't need too.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Ok wow 2 years later she's not ready yet but i did a few things last year and this year was a waste... focused on the 5.5 gen which was sort of a waste as well and my moto had some issues i just gave up on everything for like 3 months lol anyways... full steam ahead on the 4th gen for 2019

as of 2017 There's an AEM 320lph in tank, aeromotive afpr, bosch 560cc, 00vi, pftb nwp spacers (3pc) greddy emanage ultimate with PNP harness made by Victor Dragos, new battery and an oil n filter change end of 2017.

This year i've only started it twice ran it around the block (stutters at 4krpm), runs but i still have no wideband in it but i have one lingering around from innovate. I bought some ebay intercooler piping kit for $120, 3" instead of the original 2.75. got a blitz bov and finally found an adapter for it this week its getting welded to a 6 inch piece of pipe. I also had a 5.5 maf tube made from aluminum and will wire in the 5.5 maf (yes looking back at it i shoulda just run the newer 04-08 (and everything else nowadays maf lmao) but i have a pair of working ones that are spare so all good for now.

Will be rotating the blower pointing pretty much up and using something called a cobra head 90 degree coupler to reduce loss in PSI and running a lil bit of meth with a devil's own kit to keep the charge a bit cooler (no intercooler), its gonna be daily most of the 3 seasons rotating between my 5.5 and motorcycle. Before I run the meth i will get a wideband installed in the stillen 2 piece y pipe as I get a decent enough afr and fpr dialed in to move around town and then thrown in either thomas perdue headers or use the cattmans i have plus add 3 inch cat back. my goal is 400whp hopefully lol.

Question... what sort of Fuel pressure should I be using/looking for at idle? I think its in high 30's last time i checked...haven't looked at the car since august.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM

The aem you can hear when it primes, other than than i can't hear it over the blower or exhaust. I bought the whol car for about 2200 in montreal with spare trans and 2 00vi's ons set up with swirl valves i'm not even sure how that got all the way up here from cali lol.

As for afpr i was reading around and anyone running a return style system uses one with boost. I think you need a higher amount of pressure to feed the injectors. I'm not really sure tbh thats why I asked just now about its pressure level i should have it at for idle... I think the fuel line i have is only "safe" to 52psi so i should prob look at something else as its probably gonna hit 60 or something at wot no ?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
The aem you can hear when it primes, other than than i can't hear it over the blower or exhaust. I bought the whol car for about 2200 in montreal with spare trans and 2 00vi's ons set up with swirl valves i'm not even sure how that got all the way up here from cali lol.

As for afpr i was reading around and anyone running a return style system uses one with boost. I think you need a higher amount of pressure to feed the injectors. I'm not really sure tbh thats why I asked just now about its pressure level i should have it at for idle... I think the fuel line i have is only "safe" to 52psi so i should prob look at something else as its probably gonna hit 60 or something at wot no ?
I would keep the fuel pressure around 40 lbs. it will change when On the throttle. You should invest in a good aftermarket one with fuel pressure gauge.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate

I would keep the fuel pressure around 40 lbs. it will change when On the throttle. You should invest in a good aftermarket one with fuel pressure gauge.
Yessir its an aeromotive and i have a gauge on it... I think i first posted the dude told me 51psi on z32tt injectors and z32tt maf but i'm not even doing that setup, so 40 psi at idle is what i'm looking for? any differing opinions as to what psi should be run at idle?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:21 PM
Got Retrofit?

Make sure to adjust FPR with vac line off.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:47 PM
Black Lion

Yessir its an aeromotive and i have a gauge on it... I think i first posted the dude told me 51psi on z32tt injectors and z32tt maf but i'm not even doing that setup, so 40 psi at idle is what i'm looking for? any differing opinions as to what psi should be run at idle?
I’m running 560 cc injectors and set my fuel pressure at idle for 40 psi. Haven’t had issues with fuel. I also swapped the the same fuel pump you’re using.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:48 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Make sure to adjust FPR with vac line off.
yupp. Forgot about that.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM

Thats weird how come? i think i adjusted it with eveything connected but obviously this was just to get some fuel pressure there to run the car.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM
Black Lion

Thats weird how come? i think i adjusted it with eveything connected but obviously this was just to get some fuel pressure there to run the car.
to get the true fuel pressure, you have to remove the Vaccum hose. Make your adjustments and reconnect the vac
Old 12-18-2018, 10:41 AM

okok Fair enough i'll keep that in mind. i can't wait for spring to start putting this dumb **** together... anyone have experience with meth? Tank location, pump placement etc... i have the "devils own" used kit i think it comes with something to turn it on after a certain amount of boost...i hope cause i won't really want to use it under 6psi.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:12 PM

ok update.

My mechanic moved into town with his shop. got a few things done while waiting my turn at his place.

El cheapo godspeed coilovers are in minus left rear strut someone used a imperial bolt and nut in the rear solid axle so it just spins like and idiot, will go on hoist soon. The pink looks terrible but they work better than the kyb gr-2 with some weird springs where the front sat 2 inches higher than the back.

wired in a wideband, the cattman headers are going in soon as the hoist free's up for me and then completing wideband installation. Then after that a Spal Fan and mishimoto rad followed by buttoning up the intake piping, which brings me to my question. Is everyone running 3" or the 2.5" stock stillen stuff was plenty? As soon as that's settled can start plumbing meth kit and finishing it up with a 3" exhaust where they Y pipe connects!
Old 07-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Got Retrofit?

3" from y-pipe back is the best way to go...
Old 07-05-2019, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
3" from y-pipe back is the best way to go...
was talking about the charge piping, yea 3 inch exhaust is getting done too