Go Back   Maxima Forums > Maintenance, Tech, & Care > Tires and Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.
Sponsored by:
Click Here

Welcome to Maxima.org!
Welcome to Maxima.org,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join Maxima.org today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2002
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 260
Points: 8,191, Level: 61
Points: 8,191, Level: 61 Points: 8,191, Level: 61 Points: 8,191, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Falken Ziex ZE-512 vs. Yokohama AVID V4S

OK, I'm still trying to decide what tires to get for my 98 SE. I have a guy I know at a tire shop who thinks I should get the Falken's over the Yokohama's. I have not really heard anything about Falken tires before. Anybody ever have the Falken Ziex ZE-512's? What did you think? What would you get if you were me?

Thanks.
Sorgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
BG
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 102
Points: 6,714, Level: 53
Points: 6,714, Level: 53 Points: 6,714, Level: 53 Points: 6,714, Level: 53
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
I know this is slightly from left field, but about a month and a half ago I had Yokohama EVS100's installed on my car. I purchased because of the very good reviews, good price, and good looks. I love them so far and the amount of grip they exhibit is incredible. On the other hand I have heard lots of good things about Falken tires as well and they are supposed to be a good value for the price.

Either way I don't think you could go wrong.
BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:30 PM   #3
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2004
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 6,130
Points: 13,157, Level: 74
Points: 13,157, Level: 74 Points: 13,157, Level: 74 Points: 13,157, Level: 74
Activity: 8.1%
Activity: 8.1% Activity: 8.1% Activity: 8.1%
I just bought Yokohama Avid H4S on Tuesday for my 95SE, 5-speed but haven't had much of a chance to try them out. I got a super deal on them, otherwise it was a coin toss between them and BF Goodrich Traction TAs.

Are you running the OEM 15" sawblades or something else? The V4S are not sized for the 15" sawblades but the H4S are.

From all the comments I have read about the Falkez Ziex 512s I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. They are lousy in snow and rain, have a soft sidewall and will only last about 30K if you are lucky. You should be able to get 60K out of the Yokohama Avid H4S if you rotate the tires and keep them properly inflated. They will also outhandle the Falkens and are likely provide less road noise and a more comfortable ride.

Comparing the Falkens to the Avid V4S is like comparing apples to oranges.

Forget about the Falkens and go for whatever Yokohama Avids fit your wheels, but don't buy the TRZ as they are only T-rated and are standard all-seasons, not high performance.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
iTrader: (12)
Posts: 6,002
Send a message via AIM to costcowholesale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
I just bought Yokohama Avid H4S on Tuesday for my 95SE, 5-speed but haven't had much of a chance to try them out. I got a super deal on them, otherwise it was a coin toss between them and BF Goodrich Traction TAs.

Are you running the OEM 15" sawblades or something else? The V4S are not sized for the 15" sawblades but the H4S are.

From all the comments I have read about the Falkez Ziex 512s I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. They are lousy in snow and rain, have a soft sidewall and will only last about 30K if you are lucky. You should be able to get 60K out of the Yokohama Avid H4S if you rotate the tires and keep them properly inflated. They will also outhandle the Falkens and are likely provide less road noise and a more comfortable ride.

Comparing the Falkens to the Avid V4S is like comparing apples to oranges.

Forget about the Falkens and go for whatever Yokohama Avids fit your wheels, but don't buy the TRZ as they are only T-rated and are standard all-seasons, not high performance.
I've had about 20k on my tires, I don't corner too hard (still do sometimes) or autox anymore. The rain traction has been average/sorta sucks since day 1 & they seem to be staying that way. Judging from the way they are in the rain, they'll probably have no snow traction. I rotate my tire once every season since I run winters. The sidewall is on the soft side and i can feel that in corners which gives a smoother ride. All new tires are quiet and they get louder when they wear out, I have no complain about noise neither, they were real quiet when they were new. They were over $100 cheaper htan my last set of tires, dunlop sp5000 & had better dry traction. my alignment is also slightly off too. I'm on my 2nd season and they should last me 4. With the price I paid I have no complains... they're a good set of sticky cheap tires, however, if I have to use them in the snow or an area where it is always wet I'd pick something else.
costcowholesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2004
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 6,130
Points: 13,157, Level: 74
Points: 13,157, Level: 74 Points: 13,157, Level: 74 Points: 13,157, Level: 74
Activity: 8.1%
Activity: 8.1% Activity: 8.1% Activity: 8.1%
What tires are you talking about - Falkens or Yokohamas?


Quote:
Originally Posted by costcowholesale
I've had about 20k on my tires, I don't corner too hard (still do sometimes) or autox anymore. The rain traction has been average/sorta sucks since day 1 & they seem to be staying that way. Judging from the way they are in the rain, they'll probably have no snow traction. I rotate my tire once every season since I run winters. The sidewall is on the soft side and i can feel that in corners which gives a smoother ride. All new tires are quiet and they get louder when they wear out, I have no complain about noise neither, they were real quiet when they were new. They were over $100 cheaper htan my last set of tires, dunlop sp5000 & had better dry traction. my alignment is also slightly off too. I'm on my 2nd season and they should last me 4. With the price I paid I have no complains... they're a good set of sticky cheap tires, however, if I have to use them in the snow or an area where it is always wet I'd pick something else.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
iTrader: (12)
Posts: 6,002
Send a message via AIM to costcowholesale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
What tires are you talking about - Falkens or Yokohamas?
oops

the falkens
__________________
.
costcowholesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicagoland
iTrader: (2)
Posts: 1,817
Points: 8,278, Level: 61
Points: 8,278, Level: 61 Points: 8,278, Level: 61 Points: 8,278, Level: 61
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorgasm
OK, I'm still trying to decide what tires to get for my 98 SE. I have a guy I know at a tire shop who thinks I should get the Falken's over the Yokohama's. I have not really heard anything about Falken tires before. Anybody ever have the Falken Ziex ZE-512's? What did you think? What would you get if you were me?

Thanks.
512s? Never again. 5 minutes on them and I knew I had made a mistake. Way too biased toward comfort (too soft sidewalls) at the expense of turn in and cornering stability (real vague. He!!, cross winds would make the car wiggle all over the place). 3K miles and sold them.
CCS2k1Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
RIP '98 Maxima SE
 
BlackCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
iTrader: (6)
Posts: 4,264

Skip the 512's! Sidewalls are too weak for cornering. Lousy in snow. Noisy while driving. Tread life is also lousy as I only made it to about 30,000kms until the tread was at the wear bars.
__________________
BlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
iTrader: (12)
Posts: 6,002
Send a message via AIM to costcowholesale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat
Skip the 512's! Sidewalls are too weak for cornering. Lousy in snow. Noisy while driving. Tread life is also lousy as I only made it to about 30,000kms until the tread was at the wear bars.

whoa daniel how do u drive! I got about 30k on mine & they have 50% left.

I picked those because there wasn't much tires avaliable in 215/60/15. what else is good & cheap? lol
costcowholesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Member

 
Join Date: May 2004
iTrader: (0)
Posts: 6,130
Points: 13,157, Level: 74
Points: 13,157, Level: 74 Points: 13,157, Level: 74 Points: 13,157, Level: 74
Activity: 8.1%
Activity: 8.1% Activity: 8.1% Activity: 8.1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by costcowholesale
whoa daniel how do u drive! I got about 30k on mine & they have 50% left.

I picked those because there wasn't much tires avaliable in 215/60/15. what else is good & cheap? lol
You get what you pay for! I just bought Yokohama Avid H4s in 215/60/15 at a blow out price - mounted, balanced, free rotation and flat repairs - Cdn$427 all in. Alternatively BF Goodrich Traction TAs fit the bill.

A good, cheap tire is an oxymoron!
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:06 AM
MaximaOrg
Nissan Maxima




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


 




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Maxima.org Forums Home Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Frequently Asked Questions on the Forums Search Find other members Registration is free! Support Maxima.org! Receive perks and benefits by donating to Maxima.org Questions? Comments?  Suggestions? Contact Us! Visit our Sponsors View and submit Maxima events Log Out of Maxima.org
Emails Backup