Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.
View Poll Results: Best All-Around ALL SEASON tires?
Avon Tech M550
5.38%
Pirelli PZero Nero variants
6.81%
Toyo Proxes 4
20.43%
Falken Ziex 512 and 712
13.26%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
22.76%
Goodyear (any)
5.56%
Kumho Ecsta A/S variants
12.54%
Yokohama AVS variants
11.83%
Bridgestone Potenza variants
8.06%
BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWS
5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

The DEFINITIVE All-Season Tire Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Can anybody comment on Kumho Ecsta ASX?

Haven't seem them being discussed in this thread yet.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 PM

goodyear assurance triple tread
BEST TIRE EVER for all season.
rated #1 in high performance all season!
but its largest size is for 17s
Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 AM

Dude, they're not even listed as high performance, just Passenger A/S
Old 06-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by talisman311
I just put on 4 bridgestone G 009 tires. Initial impressions, these tires rock. When I'm on asphalt, I barely hear roadnoise, mainly windnoise from around the body of the car. Stiff sidewalls and pretty comfortable miles... wonder how they'll hold up, loving the tires so far though.
I think that will be my next set, what size did you get? The reviews on these tires are fantastic and i think they're gonna be almost as good as the michelins at a much better price. What size did you get? I'm thinking about 235/45/17 this isn't too wide for my 2002 is it?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:11 AM

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...ech+M550+A%2FS

These avon's are getting fantastic reviews and they're damn cheap...anyone know anything about treadwear on these babies?
Old 06-11-2006, 01:20 PM

Kind of off topic, but I was looking on TireRack and saw the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S comes in a run flat version as well as a regular one. Is there a tradeoff with run-flats besides weight?

Edit: Well, it comes in 235/45 17 anyway. But my question applies to any run-flat
Old 07-05-2006, 01:12 PM

Anyone heard much about the Michelin Exalto A/S? Looking to order a set this week. Any info would be great!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:14 PM

AVON TECH!!!! all the way!!!! number 1 on tirerack!!!!!! lolxz
Old 07-14-2006, 04:48 PM
retired moderator

bump 10 char
Old 07-17-2006, 04:32 AM
+Cru OG

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Can anybody comment on Kumho Ecsta ASX?

Haven't seem them being discussed in this thread yet.
The ASX is quiet but has a relatively soft sidewall. Mine is still on and has 20,000+ miles of usage. Bad Note: Due to a relatively soft sidewall or a bad batch, one of the tires' sidewall has ripped.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:32 PM

Any comments on the pirelli p-zero nero m+s?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:36 AM

I had Bridgestone RE-950s on my 4G and they had excelent wet and dry grip. They where completely useless in the snow though, I run snow tires but I like to leave my 'summer' tires on for most of the year (Hence the all-seasons). But with the RE-950s I was afraid to get caught in any kind of snow, IMO if you are going to get RE-950s you might as well get summer tires.

My 2k3 came with pilot sport A/S on it. I have the center wear issue that others have mentioned. They also seem to make the car feel 'darty', rotating the tires helped (the fronts had the worst center wear) but the car still feels a little nervous. I saw a comment on tire rack that mentioned the pilot sports felt darty. I should get the alignment checked before I blame it on the tires though.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Falkens

I have 45k on my Falken 512s and still have about 1/3 tread life left. I got them mainly for the heavy rains in FL and the need for gripping. They do a great job here. They needed rebalancing a couple of times to get it right, but are a good tire for the money.

Ironically, the increased gripping also caused a decrease in my gas mileage. For the first 25k the rolling resistance of the tires was so high that I got about 2-3 miles less per gallon on interstate driving.

Due to the soft sidewall, I always keep it at about 34-35 PSI. Not the 30-32 they usually recommend. The high speed cornering has been good with the higher psi.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone have any experience with the Yokohama V4S 215/55VR17 it is going to go on a 2003 I35. THe stats say its a 60K tire V rated all season. But i dont really know how it performs on a performance car and how good it is during winter times, I am in midwest so we get a little bit of everything. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tim's_SE
I have 45k on my Falken 512s and still have about 1/3 tread life left. I got them mainly for the heavy rains in FL and the need for gripping. They do a great job here. They needed rebalancing a couple of times to get it right, but are a good tire for the money.

Ironically, the increased gripping also caused a decrease in my gas mileage. For the first 25k the rolling resistance of the tires was so high that I got about 2-3 miles less per gallon on interstate driving.

Due to the soft sidewall, I always keep it at about 34-35 PSI. Not the 30-32 they usually recommend. The high speed cornering has been good with the higher psi.
What was the speed rating on your Falkens. I have V rated512s on my 2k3 and they barely have 20k on them. My wife drives the car. I'm going with
the yokohama AVID v4s so I can get a little out of them this timee

Old 09-18-2006, 05:30 AM

does anyone know how long the pilot as last for driver with average driving habits? i'm hoping to stretch it to at least 40K
Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

i would def ask people to do some research on a tire company called nokian... the way i look at it... wat would be the best place to make tires... why not finland... this company is based in finland and since theres snow all the time basically they've done research that the nokians are better than the blizzacks(mind the spelling) and much cheaper to get them... they can all so be used as all season tires...

http://www.nokiantires.com/en/dna.aspx
Old 11-12-2006, 03:38 AM
Doggah Bite...

Originally Posted by jingiko
goodyear assurance triple tread
BEST TIRE EVER for all season.
rated #1 in high performance all season!
but its largest size is for 17s
Wether they are rated for high performanceor not, I just got a set for free(perks of pops owning the body shop-take tires off totalled cars, they still had the little nipple things on the tread!) and they kick ***. Much grippier than the Bridgestone 009's that I had before. Super quiet, stiff sidewalls, and EXCELLENT in the rain. I think going from 215/55/R16 to 225/50/R16 helped also, and plus they look meaner being that they are wider...

just my 0.01c

-Matt
Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 AM

I'll cast my vote for: Bridgestone RE 960 AS Pole Position 225/50-WR17.

Quiet on the freeway, good turn-in, comfortable ride, and confidence inspiring under braking. I've not probed the limits with these tires on the Maxima, but I have done so as noted below.

I got the pleasure of torturing a set of 960's at a Bridgestone Drive and Learn (perks of having a brother-in-law that works for Bridgestone). Basically it's a 1/2 day seminar on Bridgestone tires. A hour or so of lecture and then the rest of the day is spent doing back to back comparisons of tires in the wet with a professional driver in the seat next to you.

We drove Pontiac G6's with Goodyears Assurance ComforTred & Bridgestone Turanza EL-400's. The Bridgestones were night and day better than the Goodyears. The Goodyears in the wet were nearly like driving on ice, while the Bridgestones were responsive and controlable. It's really scary to think about all the soccer mom's driving around on the Goodyears thinking that they have "good" tires. While the Bridgestones were far better than the Goodyears, these are touring tires and are greatly outclassed by their high performance bretheren.

Then we got to drive BMW 330i's with Michelins Pilot Sport A/S & Bridgestone RE 960 AS Pole Positions. The difference here was less drastic than with the touring tires, but the Bridgestones were still better in the wet than the Michelins. The Bridgestones had better turn-in, higher wet grip, and were less twitchy than the Michelins. They were more confidence inspiring than the Michelins. And for a street tire, IMHO, you really want something that has good overall balance and doesn't induce panic. I never was able to find the limit of the 960's, but with the Michelins I could get the front to push a bit.

Of course, all of this is not to say that Bridgestones are superior to every other tire out there. However, the Drive and Learn sure did open my eyes to the fact that not all tires are created equal.

FWIW, in OEM size for the Maxima, the RE960's have a UTQG of 400, while the Turanza EL-400's have a UTQG of 260. So, the RE960's should last quite a bit more than the EL-400's. (A note here about UTQG ratings. These numbers can only be used to compare tires from one manufacturer, as each manufacturer gets to set/select the UTQG 100 tire. So while Brand X and Brand Y tires may each have a UTQG rating of 400, it doesn't necessarily mean that both tires will last the same.)
Old 11-17-2006, 08:43 AM

Just had some Hankook V-rated K402 Optimo Pus II 225-50-17's installed on my OEM rims this morning. $513 out the door (Available at Pepboys only - exclusive tire).

Has a 60k mile warranty and they are all-season. I'll post a few weeks from now what my impressions are. Drove 60+ miles this morning one way on the highway and these things are very quite.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Nightmare = Reality

I have the Pilot Sport A/S tires at OE (225/50ZR17) W-rated. I drive on the sane side of aggressive and in general, these tires are excellent EXCEPT for some reason i had some reported "cupping" of the tires when it was in for my 96k. I think this was largely in part due to the staggered time I got these tires. Only rotating them twice, I'm seeing very little wear, no drop off in grip, crazy hydroplaning resistance (i can do 90 down the ohio turnpike and there's no detached feeling) but after 40k+ (lost track, should be at least that much on the newer set) im getting treadnoise. Initially manageable and worth the sacrifice, it's gotten to the point where I'm seriously contemplating a switch back to bridgestones. I didnt have such a bad impression of the RE92s, but that was mainly because of one of the most underlooked priority anyone who's seriously running tires HARD should examine. the Nature of the compound. what i mean is that despite the poor hydroplaning resistance later in the bridgestone's life, they managed to maintain a very progressive nature throughout. I had a good impression when my grip was dropping out and could drive knowing that those tires wouldn't reach out and bite me. the Pilots are progressive too, however, they really dont display it to the same degree the bridgestones did until they got good and warm. I think i may check out the RE960AS Pole Positions or the Continental ContiExtreme Contacts next time around. BTW, anyone drive on or hear about the Hankook Ventus H4 ES H105s? I went to their website just for fun and they matched my car up to those. from the designation they sound like they're H-rated(kinda bothers me personally) and they wont speak of their world headquarters. are they a private-label goodyear or something?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:39 AM

Bridgestone Turanza LS-V

I just replaced the OEM Potenza's on my 03 with Turanza LS-V's. The Potenza's had 36K miles on them and the tread still looked really good, but as you all know those tires are dangerous unless the roads are dry.

It was raining when I dropped my car off at Just Tires to have the tires installed and on the way there I paid close attention to how badly the car would slide through wet corners. Accelerating from a light at more than a tiny amount of throttle would result in the tires spinning as if I were on ice. Braking wasn't bad - it took a panic stop to engage the ABS.

After the Turanza's were installed I took the same corners and the car just stuck - no sliding at all. It plowed through deep puddles that would have had the Potenza's hydroplaning. I could accelerate briskly from a light with no wheelspin. The difference is just huge, and the new tires weren't even scuffed in yet, and still felt slightly greasy from the mold release that is present on all new tires.

The Turanza isn't exactly cheap - $144 right now on Tire Rack, but if you read the great reviews on Tire Rack it's a great tire so I think it is a good buy. Since they were slightly cheaper and almost as highly rated, I originally was going to buy the Conti ProContacts, but they're currently on national backorder and I couldn't get my hands on a set. I personally don't regret not waiting for the Conti's.

As a sidenote, I put Falken 512's on my previous 02 Max. While the uni-directional tread pattern looked cool and they were great in rain and snow (when they were new!), they were down to the wear bars in less than 30K miles. After about 20K miles they were horrible in the snow. Several shops could never completely eliminate a high speed vibration in them. I'd never buy 512's again, even at the rock bottom price they're selling for.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:40 PM
4 Maximas and counting

Another Continental ContiExtremeContact vote

Re-checking the thread as I'm about to buy tires...

I've used them on a 96SE with suspension mods and a 98 Contour SVT.
Great combination of performance and price. Not quite as sharp in handling in the dry as some others may be, but good enough for me.

I've also had good experiences with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymmetrical, but they're a little pricey today compared to the Continentals.

I'm tempted by the low price and great survey ratings (and TireRack salesperson recommendations) for the Avon Tech M550 A/S, but the miles driven are still kind of low, and the scores generally go down over time. I have to think about this as the Continentals are out of stock, while the Avons are in.

The Kumho Ecsta ASX is an OK tire for the price, but all else being equal, I'd take the Continentals.

I agree with another post stating that the Continentals can use higher PSI.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Banned

I put contiprocontacts, a little more expensive then the extremes...but they are dead silent and do fine in the snow...I think the comfort with them is worth the tradeoff of having dedicated snow tires in my climate where the roads are usually just slushy and wet. Like I said though, when snow storms hit, I feel confident driving on them and the treadwear is 400, traction aa temp a (best)
Old 12-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yokohama ADVAN S.4

just ordered a set of 4 Yokohama ADVAN S.4 for my SE 04. I was leaning towards Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position but could not find them in 245/45/18. Both are rated well on Tire Rack...

will report back once installed and had a chance to break them in.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:49 AM

Voted for the Michelin Energy.

The Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds are missing from the list, as they would have been my first choice.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just bought a set of Nexan N7000 225/45 ZR17 for my 2000 Maxima SE with OM rims and entire price with mounting and balancing was under $300. Tires handle great, and are very quiet. we have lots of curves in the ozarks which makes driving lots of fun. if you have not looked at this tire, please consider it, very nice for the price!
Old 01-16-2007, 03:36 PM

Conti ExtremeContacts

I've tried the ContiExtremeContacts and the Pirelli PZero. The Conti's are much better in snow and rain. The PZero's have better performance handling. Note - I did have problems keeping air in the Conti's when it was below 32 degrees. My tire dealer said that the tires and rims were contracting at different rates, causing air to leak out. They tried some sealant. It didn't work. I had the Pirelli's put on and no issues with the same rims.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=JohnWEngle]I'll cast my vote for: Bridgestone RE 960 AS Pole Position 225/50-WR17.

My man I have to agree with you whole heartedly. I just purchased these UHP all season tires and I am blown away by the following...

Really quiet in almost all conditions of road quality and type at any speed.
I always thought the RSA's had good road feel and let me tell you the road feel/feedback is outstanding. I can feel all 4 tires.
Ride quality is really very good.
Cornering stablity is great.
Great turn in and response.
Resonably priced.
Only downside is they are heavier than most (30lbs 245/45-18).
This tire is a dream come true for me and trust me, I have driven on many.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:15 AM

Cooper Lifeliner SLE

I put on Cooper Lifeliner SLE 215/55 HR 16 tires on my MAX and I love these tires for all-season. They grip the road quite nicely. Since being from north-central WI, you need all-season or winter tires. I puchased and balanced for around $460.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:02 PM

The best all-weather tire I ever had on my current Maxima were the PilotSport A/S's. But their price makes them relatively unobtainable these days.
We recently went with the Kumho Ecsta A/S...just before the snow hit. So far, no complaints. And the price was much more reasonable.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 PM

do the toyo proxies grip the road tight enuff to not be spinning your tires for 3 to 4 seconds??
Old 04-04-2007, 04:33 PM

What do you guys think of the Hankooks? H 105

They are about $150 ea US ($188) and fit 7.5 - 9 . 245-45-18's ....Best price I have seen anywhere for that type of tire.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:27 AM

sumitomo. I can't beat those prices.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Originally Posted by JohnWEngle
I'll cast my vote for: Bridgestone RE 960 AS Pole Position 225/50-WR17.
My man I have to agree with you whole heartedly. I just purchased these UHP all season tires and I am blown away by the following...

Really quiet in almost all conditions of road quality and type at any speed.
I always thought the RSA's had good road feel and let me tell you the road feel/feedback is outstanding. I can feel all 4 tires.
Ride quality is really very good.
Cornering stablity is great.
Great turn in and response.
Resonably priced.
Only downside is they are heavier than most (30lbs 245/45-18).
This tire is a dream come true for me and trust me, I have driven on many.
I voted for the Toyo Proxes 4, but thought I'd say a bit about the Potenzas mentioned here.

I got about 28000 miles on my first set of Toyos before I had to replace them secondary to belt separation.

When I originally went to get the Proxes replaced, I was told that they were on national backorder, and that my tire store couldn't get them anywhere. So instead I got a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 AS.

First off I have to agree that the Potenzas are quieter (though my Toyos were probably quieter when they were new too). In fact, after I put them on I really noticed the wind noise in my rear windows...

Secondly, they did seem to corner just as well as the Toyos.

However, after three and a half weeks I was not satisfied with the change for a few reasons.

1) When I bought the Toyos, they did not come in 225/50 - only 225/45. When I got the Potenzas, I went back to OEM size and got the 225/50's. I was not paying enough attention while looking at tires, and found out the hard way that the Potenzas are a little more than 4 pounds heavier. This doesn't seem like much, but I could tell as soon as I drove the car away from the tire store. The car was slower to respond.

2) Even corrected for the larger diameter, I still got 1.5 to 2.0 miles per gallon less with the Potenzas. That is a lot of money every year for me with the amount of miles I put on the car.

3) I personally felt like the Potenzas (and it may be just the difference between 225/45 and 225/50) were a softer ride, and I prefered the feel of the Toyos.

and 4) They Toyos are a few hundred dollars cheaper for a set of four.

Finally, I decided that I just did not feel comfortable with the Potenzas. I did some more research and went back in and told the tire place that I could find the Proxes online in stock. At that point the salesman told me he could find them from one of his suppliers (whereas he couldn't before), and so I had the RE 960's replaced with the Toyos this afternoon.

I guess that is one more good thing about the 960's - they have a 30 day buy and try!

At any rate, they were not a bad tire, but I prefer the Toyos.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Anyone done any research or tried the Cooper Zeon Sport A/S? I'm curious about them and the only place i can find ANY info is on the company's website...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 AM

I'd be interested to see if those who "just purchased" any of the variety of brands on this thread would come back and post how they feel about the tires NOW.

It would be great follow-up info.

New tires are almost always great (aside from the craptenzas) - but sometimes they turn to crap after 50% wear. It would be great to know if any of the inexpensive tires on here have that problem or DON'T have that problem.

For my part, I still have pilot sports and everything I posted before is true. Biggest problem is that I can't get even tread wear - but even at almost worn out, they are still better in the wet than many a/s tires at 50%.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 PM

proxies 4

had them on for a lil over 6 months and they wore out quite fast. while i do drive aggressive, and they do grip, i guess ill find myself buying a new set every year and a half if im lucky... kinda sucks but it is what it is
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Pirelli PZero Neros M+S

A year has passed since getting these and I'm not crazy about the road noise generated over 60kph/40mph. Had an alignment done and that helped somewhat. These are 235/45ZR-17s.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:15 AM

Best tire place?

Hey can anyone recommend the best value to quality tire place? I'm looking for new tires for my Maxima and was wondering what would some of you guys recommend?

Quick Reply: The DEFINITIVE All-Season Tire Thread...