Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.
View Poll Results: Best All-Around ALL SEASON tires?
Avon Tech M550
5.38%
Pirelli PZero Nero variants
6.81%
Toyo Proxes 4
20.43%
Falken Ziex 512 and 712
13.26%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
22.76%
Goodyear (any)
5.56%
Kumho Ecsta A/S variants
12.54%
Yokohama AVS variants
11.83%
Bridgestone Potenza variants
8.06%
BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWS
5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

The DEFINITIVE All-Season Tire Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 01:54 PM
retired moderator

The DEFINITIVE All-Season Tire Thread...

VOTE on what you consider the BEST all-around (grip, wear, price, etc) all-season tires out there - please only vote for tires you've actually USED for a while and have a good idea about the overall performance, ride, wear, etc. Votes for more than one are allowed!

There are a million repeating threads about this topic, so let's put some numbers to it, trying to include all of the most popular tires.

NOTE: This is for ALL-SEASON tires only, so don't bother with summer, track, or winter tread.

If your tire isn't on here, write-in or vote for one that is close to it...poll was limited to 10 choices unfortunately.

EDIT: Damn, forgot to put the Contientals...sorry guys!
Old 11-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My vote goes to Continental ContiExtremeContacts, but it's not on the list. Mind you, however, that this tire has soft sidewall.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by limsandy
My vote goes to Continental ContiExtremeContacts, but it's not on the list. Mind you, however, that this tire has soft sidewall.
dammit....I meant to put the Conti's on there too, I know how popular they are (doh!)
Old 11-20-2005, 08:01 PM

My vote is for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs but they are not on the list. I've had the Turanza EL-42s as well as the Falken 512's and the LS-V's are the best set of tires I have ever had on my Max.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:06 PM

Another not counted vote for the Conti's...
Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM

This isnt going to help, but Im considering the Pirelli P6four seasons...I heard the LSV's were awesome!
Old 11-21-2005, 03:13 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by grateful1
My vote is for the Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs but they are not on the list. I've had the Turanza EL-42s as well as the Falken 512's and the LS-V's are the best set of tires I have ever had on my Max.
I would not stain this poll by putting a Bridgestone on it (RE92!!)

The LS-V isn't a UHP tire though, is it?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I would not stain this poll by putting a Bridgestone on it (RE92!!)
I've never had the RE92s but I do know that everyone hates them. However, Bridgestone is a very respectable tire company and people on the org should not look down at the company as a whole even if the RE92s do blow. A similar comparison that comes to mind is the Falken 512's. I know that you like these tires irish but I for one think that these tires are not particularly well suited for our cars. But that's just my opinion. In any case, Falken does make some other really good tires.

The LS-V isn't a UHP tire though, is it?
Nope, it's categorized as an all-season grand touring tire.

I didn't know that tires needed to be ultra-high performance as a prerequisite for this poll. I thought that the vote was for an all-season tire. In any case, the Turanza EL-42 is what came stock on my Max which is categorized as a regular touring tire. In addition, I had the Falken 512's which is considered an UHP tire and I do not think it should be categorized as such. I then decided to go back to a Bridgestone tire as I thought that the EL-42s were a good fit for the Max. That is why I chose the LS-Vs because they seemed to get better reviews than the EL-42s and are actually cheaper.

In looking at all the specs for the above mentioned tires in your poll, the LS-Vs match up equally if not better to each tire so I'm not really sure if the category of tire is indicative of ultimate performance. I am sure there are extremes but generally speaking I think the LS-Vs can be considered borderline high performance tires.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:07 PM
retired moderator

I've never had the RE92s but I do know that everyone hates them. However, Bridgestone is a very respectable tire company and people on the org should not look down at the company as a whole even if the RE92s do blow. A similar comparison that comes to mind is the Falken 512's. I know that you like these tires irish but I for one think that these tires are not particularly well suited for our cars. But that's just my opinion. In any case, Falken does make some other really good tires.
calm down there....I have nothing against Bridgestone - I actually use Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 V-rated winter tires on the maxima. I do, however, think it is near-criminal to sell the Potenza RE92 as an "all-season" tire on a family sedan. Try using the RE92 in the snow, or even in some rain, and try to tell me it is all-season. In anything but dry, that tire is downright dangerous. The RE050 on the other hand is a very nice performance tire (though not all-season either, IIRC)

As to the 512's...I've had them, I no longer do. They are suited fine for our cars, as much so as any tire, but did not meet my personal "driving requirements" so to say, which is why I changed to the the Proxes. They are, however, a very good tire for a very inexpensive price. Value is always an important factor in purchases...

Nope, it's categorized as an all-season grand touring tire.

I didn't know that tires needed to be ultra-high performance as a prerequisite for this poll. I thought that the vote was for an all-season tire. In any case, the Turanza EL-42 is what came stock on my Max which is categorized as a regular touring tire.
it's not a prerequisite, I was just asking. The poll only allows 10 choices, else I would have put alot more tires on there....

In addition, I had the Falken 512's which is considered an UHP tire and I do not think it should be categorized as such. I then decided to go back to a Bridgestone tire as I thought that the EL-42s were a good fit for the Max. That is why I chose the LS-Vs because they seemed to get better reviews than the EL-42s and are actually cheaper.
whether or not the 512 is a "UHP" tire or not is irrelevant. That's what it's marketed as, just as the RE92 is marketed as an A/S....I will say that the 512's do have a soft sidewall, but they grip like a **** and do have a V-rating for speed and directional tread, which are probably the qualifiers for "UHP" status.

In looking at all the specs for the above mentioned tires in your poll, the LS-Vs match up equally if not better to each tire so I'm not really sure if the category of tire is indicative of ultimate performance. I am sure there are extremes but generally speaking I think the LS-Vs can be considered borderline high performance tires.
I'm not ******* the LS-V's man....if you like them, that's what matters. Performance is in the eye of the beholder, and it's good that you've found a tire you like that meets your requirements.

Trust me, I had the Pilot Sport A/S on a previous car. It's generally considered the "best performance" A/S tire out there (and most $$$), but I truly disliked the tire and would not buy it again. All personal opinion!

carry on....
Old 11-21-2005, 09:44 PM

Sorry Irish, didn't mean to sound like I was defending Bridgestone or that you had anything against them as a company, that certainly was not my intent. I actually don't care one way or another. My only point was to say that I think the RE92s give Bridgestone a bad rap and rightfully so. I do agree that performance is relative to one's taste. In my opinion, the LS-Vs should definately be considered as a worthy option as a replacement tire for our cars. If you buy them at the right place(Costco), they are pretty economical and even so are well worth the money. In any case, thanks for starting this thread. It was well needed.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:52 AM
Very sound, Mike

Shouldn't the "variants" be taken off? PZero's come in two variants, an all season M+S and a summer non-M+S version. The other tires may also have similar set-ups which may sway the votes one way or another.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:34 AM

My vote is for Cooper Zeon ZX2. Same UTQG ratings as the Toyo Proxies but a little cheaper. Great tire.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:02 PM

whether or not the 512 is a "UHP" tire or not is irrelevant. That's what it's marketed as, just as the RE92 is marketed as an A/S....I will say that the 512's do have a soft sidewall, but they grip like a **** and do have a V-rating for speed and directional tread, which are probably the qualifiers for "UHP" status.
Irish, I hate to be picky, but the poll title is "best all around all season tire", not "best all around all season UHP tire". There are many touring all season tires that are much better performers than the RE92 and 512s, which coincidentally are the two all seasons I've had on my max. They both sucked one way or another and the reason I went to summer and snow tire sets.

Let me add the Nokian WRs, all weather rated to the MIA list.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 PM
The original VQ...

damm iveowned so many diffrent tires but none of them were all season, and its sad cause i live in CT.....

Ill be watchig this thread tho..

my fav. brands are nitto, toyo and BFgoodrich.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:16 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
Irish, I hate to be picky, but the poll title is "best all around all season tire", not "best all around all season UHP tire". There are many touring all season tires that are much better performers than the RE92 and 512s, which coincidentally are the two all seasons I've had on my max. They both sucked one way or another and the reason I went to summer and snow tire sets.

yes, apologies for that. It didn't even occur to me that people would buy a non-UHP tire, since most lower-profile tires that fit the 17's tend to be UHP, and of course I am a 5th genner. Totally forgot that some of the earlier-gen maximas are rolling on 15's that have higher-profile tires.

In any case, the forum limits polls to 10 choices, so I pretty much just put up the tires that I've seen talked about most frequently on the org (I did forget the Contis, which are talked about alot too).....
Old 11-22-2005, 07:19 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by soundmike
Shouldn't the "variants" be taken off? PZero's come in two variants, an all season M+S and a summer non-M+S version. The other tires may also have similar set-ups which may sway the votes one way or another.
sure, but the title of the thread references All-season tires...I meant A/S variants of the tires. Besides, it's not a scientific poll, so if the votes get swayed by people who can't read....well, that's life I guess

and in the first post it says:

NOTE: This is for ALL-SEASON tires only, so don't bother with summer, track, or winter tread.
in any case, I can't edit the poll questions/choices, so we're stuck with them.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:10 PM

10 choices max? I didn't know that. Anyways, no vote from me. My two A/S UHP were pretty bad.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:45 AM
Very sound, Mike

sure, but the title of the thread references All-season tires...I meant A/S variants of the tires. Besides, it's not a scientific poll, so if the votes get swayed by people who can't read....well, that's life I guess

and in the first post it says:

in any case, I can't edit the poll questions/choices, so we're stuck with them.
Can't you tell i was just giving you a hard time? j/k
Old 11-23-2005, 12:40 PM
retired moderator

yeah, but you have to admit, there are many on the org (MANY) that are reading-challenged!
Old 11-24-2005, 07:48 AM

This is a very good thread. It's going to be more helpful in the future with more posts. I voted on Khumo just because I got them and they are pretty good for me. Don't know about the other brands.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:16 PM

Just because the RE-92 is an atrocious tire, does not mean any other tire by Bridgestone is bad. I'd say the RE-950's are the best all season tire i've used (if you dont see any snow that is). I dont have to worry about that since i dont get snow here, and its awesome in the rain.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by aussie983
Just because the RE-92 is an atrocious tire, does not mean any other tire by Bridgestone is bad. I'd say the RE-950's are the best all season tire i've used (if you dont see any snow that is). I dont have to worry about that since i dont get snow here, and its awesome in the rain.
re-read post #9......
Old 11-26-2005, 04:01 PM

I voted KDWS as I had them on my old Dakota and did great in snow.

We currently have Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE in the stock size. 32k miles and still tons of life left in them.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:00 PM

That maybe so, however, EVERY set of Bridgestone tires I have ever had, were POS. They had poor tread wear, poor wet traction, even worse snow traction (yes they were A/S) and to add insult to injury they are really expensive....

All I know is that from MY experiance, I will never buy a Bridgestone tire again... I would not be so mad if they sold for $70 a pop like the tires they compair to. However they sell for $170+, the $120 a pop Conti's I am running put the bridgestones to shame and are wearing like stone compared to the deathtenzas and every other bridgestone I have had.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:34 PM

yeah im only speaking from my experience and im not saying i support bridgestone or hate them for that matter. Im just putting in my 2 cents.

Upstate: which tires did u have?
Old 11-27-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax

That maybe so, however, EVERY set of Bridgestone tires I have ever had, were POS. They had poor tread wear, poor wet traction, even worse snow traction (yes they were A/S) and to add insult to injury they are really expensive....

All I know is that from MY experiance, I will never buy a Bridgestone tire again... I would not be so mad if they sold for $70 a pop like the tires they compair to. However they sell for $170+, the $120 a pop Conti's I am running put the bridgestones to shame and are wearing like stone compared to the deathtenzas and every other bridgestone I have had.
I have had the exact opposite experience with Bridgestones. As noted above, the stock tires that came with my Max were the Turanza EL-42s. They lasted me 3-4 years and the tread life and traction were pretty good. I now have the LS-Vs which are suppossed to be very similar in comparison to the El-42s. Also, I am a very spirited driver so I do tend to wear my tires out pretty fast but the Bridgestones have indeed held their own. Just thought I'd add my experience with these tires.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:33 AM

Upstate: which tires did u have?
Continental Extreme Contacts 235/45/17. They are a great tire for the north east, we have really wierd weather in Upstate New York, It can go from 100deg+ and a huge drought, to a month solid of rain, then back and forth, then it will be 20deg and snowing, then 60deg and rain.... Around here you need a tire that can handle it all.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Way out West

I have used Toyo Proxes FZ4 and they are 2 season tires at best.

I am not a fan of "all season" tires (too much compromise somewhere) but if I were to get them, I have heard nothing but the absolute highest praise for the Nokian WR. I haven't used them, but I have talked to several people that have.

FWIW, I have a set of winter tires mounted on wheels for all my vehicles. Once you drive in snow and ice with dedicated winter tires, you will be kicking yourself for trying to get by with all seasons.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:38 AM

My neighbor put on a set of WRs in his 02 SE 17s about two weeks ago. His first comments were that they rode more comfortably than the crapenzas. Their compromise must be softer sidewalls.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Continental Extreme Contacts 235/45/17. They are a great tire for the north east, we have really wierd weather in Upstate New York, It can go from 100deg+ and a huge drought, to a month solid of rain, then back and forth, then it will be 20deg and snowing, then 60deg and rain.... Around here you need a tire that can handle it all.
I meant, i was just curious which bridgestones you had that made such a bad impression.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:19 PM

I meant, i was just curious which bridgestones you had that made such a bad impression.
Read up a few posts.

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max

Old 11-29-2005, 05:56 PM

opps, I did not read it that close...

I obviusly had the RE-92's, they left a really bad impression; they almost killed me a few times and I almost sold the maxima because of them.

the others... to be honest I dont know exactly which they were, one set was on an eclipse (put me in a ditch when I tapped the brakes), put one set on an old grand am and they sucked... after the RE-92's I vowed to stay clear of Bridgestone.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:21 PM

I just brought the Avons and I'm totally impressed with them....best darn tire for the money I've seen.....I'm in agreement with the folk's comments on TireRack....
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 PM

yes, i just purchased the avon's as well, they are handling great in dry and wet conditions alike thus far..great tire
Old 12-01-2005, 07:40 AM

Yay, us Avoners are catching up

I wonder how many on here have actually used many of the tires listed, or just vote for the ones they used (like me). I voted for the Avon's because I just got them (and they are the top-rated UHP A/S on Tirerack).
Old 12-01-2005, 09:59 AM

^^^ One more reason why, besides being highly unscientific, these polls mean ****.

Noob, vote after you've put enough miles on the tires and know what you're dealing with, not because you "just got them and they are the top-rated UHP A/S on Tirerack". The tirerack is the only place that sells Avons, of course they are going to hype them. It's kind of like Wally World telling people they won't find the Michelin Xs cheaper anywhere else; they are made for Wally World only...

Had this poll been done in 2000-2001 then, using you logic, then the crapenzas would have made the poll with high marks cause we didn't know how bad they were under all driving conditions.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by limsandy
Just replaced them yesterday with Bridgestone G009. Continentals were the worst tire I've owned, as far as ride comfort. Sure, they worked fine for me in the snow, but they wore horribly and were very rough on cold mornings, causing steering shimmy. Can't comment on G009s yet, as I only put 15 miles on them so far.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by dennisuello
Just replaced them yesterday with Bridgestone G009. Continentals were the worst tire I've owned, as far as ride comfort. Sure, they worked fine for me in the snow, but they wore horribly and were very rough on cold mornings, causing steering shimmy. Can't comment on G009s yet, as I only put 15 miles on them so far.

What PSI did you run them at? I run mine at 36F/34/R and they are wearing great. You cannot run the Contis at the same PSI you did for factory tires, they need a bit more air. I have noticed a big difference in the Contis with just a 4-5PSI change, they go from untrusting and mushy to perfectly fine at a higher PSI.

Edit: I also noticed that the "cold spotting" was reduced greatly when I bumped up the PSI, a few miles down the road and they were normal.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:38 PM

Read up a few posts.
If you read MY post, i wasnt asking about him
Old 12-05-2005, 07:36 PM

If you read MY post, i wasnt asking about him

Sorry, misread your post. I had read a few posting above yours and naturally thought you were talking about CCS2KIMAX's comment.

Quick Reply: The DEFINITIVE All-Season Tire Thread...