Tires and Wheels Rubber, and lots of rubber in all kinds of sizes. What do you use when it's freezing? What do you use when it's hot? You want sticky rubbers? How about rubbers that will last a long time? Find your perfect rubber in here.

What tires to get

Old 05-05-2015, 01:30 PM

What tires to get

So last year I hit a pothole on I 70 in Indiana and blew a tire, bent the hell out of a rim and very well possibly damaged another tire and slightly bent that rim...

Sooo, I have now found a couple of used rims that were rough looking. sanded them down, filled in the nicks and repainted them. Thank you to those that did a how to on repainting your wheels.

I have now redid one of the rims, and the paint is fairly close to the original of the others on the car. Looks slightly better than an amateur paint job, but a whole lot better than the road rash. Some advice... if you are in a situation that you need to fix a rim and can't find a decent looking used one nearby, Just go to Rockauto and order a refurbished rim. definitely worth not having to do all of the prep work and painting.

So now, it is tire time. Not overly impressed with the Goodyear Eagle RS A tires that are on the car (this is the OEM tire brand and make) but the upside of these tires is that I will possibly get away with replacing only two tires as the ones on there only have 25k on them, and plenty of tread. this works out to be 389.35 out the door from Discount Tire.

The one thing I do like about the Eagles is the cornering, but they do give a harsh ride.

My other option is to replace all four, and if I do that, I would go with Falken PRO G4 A/S for 655.54 out the door.

Any one have any experience with the Falkens? I have a set of Falken All terrain on my Ranger for the last 5 years, and they are pretty decent, but just wondering if anyone has dealt with them on their Maxima.

Thanks!

Anson

Old 05-09-2015, 07:46 PM

Don't really know what rims and tire size you are wanting, but I just went from Hankook Vetus V12 to Sumitomo HTRZ III 235/45/17 on my 02 SE. They were 408 shipped from Egay, and I just payed the local tire guy 40 to mount and balance. They are very good tires, and I believe better than the Hankooks.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 AM

I went witht he Falkens, mine are 245/45/18s I believe, paid 650 bucks out the door. so far I am pretty pleased with them. the ride is much better, and the handling did not suffer either (I don't drive it like a racecar or like I stole it, but a few times of putting through its paces every now and then)

Got the opportunity to drive it in pouring rain yesterday, the tires handled standing pools of water very well, even better than the Eagle RS-As.

Anson
Old 05-24-2015, 06:37 PM

I find the Eagle Rs-as quite noise I would recommend Nitto tires nt555r better
Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am not a big fan Nitto. I had the 450 extremes and the were horrible. Very loud and the sidewall was to soft. Most people will hate on economy tires like Nankang and Milestar, but I've owned better brand tires that sucked. So when it comes to tires its trial and error
Old 06-24-2015, 04:06 AM

Michelin is a good tire, has good treadlife and superb grip though expensive.