Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing (https://maxima.org/forums/1-4-1-8-mile-racing-32/)
-   -   question about heating up slicks/drag radials (https://maxima.org/forums/1-4-1-8-mile-racing/368556-question-about-heating-up-slicks-drag-radials.html)

JeEvE 09-12-2006 06:31 PM

question about heating up slicks/drag radials

I plan to get to the track soon and I will be running my 255 wide BFG drag radials on 300zx wheels. Sometime later ill get some slicks. I have been to the track on street tires only and didnt bother doing a big smokey burnout because it probably does more harm then good.

I plan to heat up the drag radials but I dont think it will stay put in 1st gear. Does everyone else running slicks/drag radials heat them fine in 1st?

How would I go about doing it in 2nd, it just seems like it would be too much stress. I just want to see if others have been doing it with no problem. Thanks.

Hoooper 09-12-2006 07:24 PM

what? why second? doing it in first is fine.

JeEvE 09-12-2006 07:46 PM

2nd because it wont drag the car and it wont have to be at such high rpms to spin the wheels at the same speed.

Nealoc187 09-12-2006 09:56 PM

I am able to do more consistent burnouts in first, no problems staying put.

Hoooper 09-12-2006 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by JeEvE
2nd because it wont drag the car and it wont have to be at such high rpms to spin the wheels at the same speed.

second will drag the car more, think about it. the tires are at a higher rate of speed and making more friction because of it. you have to pull the e-brake harder, trust me. i used to get pulled when burning out in first, but then i adjusted the ebrake and pulled it harder.....no more getting pulled

96sleeper 09-13-2006 03:08 AM

2nd works better for me about not dragging, and they get hot faster so it takes less time. You just have to do what you feel comfortable with.

DandyMax 09-13-2006 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 96sleeper
2nd works better for me about not dragging, and they get hot faster so it takes less time. You just have to do what you feel comfortable with.

:sprint:

I use second. Takes less time to heat up the tires (and less time the engine's sitting there revving high and getting hotter underhood).

glenmoormax 09-13-2006 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
:sprint:

I use second. Takes less time to heat up the tires (and less time the engine's sitting there revving high and getting hotter underhood).

so you put it in second and drop the rpms from what, 55-6000?:eek:

DandyMax 09-13-2006 09:05 AM

Yes... around 5k or 5500.. with a very quick slip to reduce the shock.

Nealoc187 09-13-2006 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by glenmoormax
so you put it in second and drop the rpms from what, 55-6000?:eek:

You don't sidestep the clutch or anything, you do the exact same thing you would do if you were trying to peel out from a stop sign on the street. At least that's how I do it and how I taught mikeD to do it. For the longest time he couldn't do a successful burnout and finally we figured out it was because he was dumping the clutch in an unnatural way. Just do it like you are on the street and want to spin your tires and leave some black marks or something.

JeEvE 09-13-2006 10:30 AM

I will try out first and see how it goes. I dont do a burnout on the street too often so maybe I should practice some. When I did a 1st burnout at the track before on street tires, I was doing a fast slip at 4000rpms so maybe I need to go a little higher.

Do you guys just start in the burnout in 2nd? I have heard some people start in 1st and then switch to second...which seems like there will be more shock- the wheels stop and mostly likely the clutch is just getting dumped.

Hoooper 09-13-2006 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JeEvE
Do you guys just start in the burnout in 2nd? I have heard some people start in 1st and then switch to second...which seems like there will be more shock- the wheels stop and mostly likely the clutch is just getting dumped.

yeah ive seen that with automatics which is ok cause its usually a quick shift car and it doesnt miss a beat. i think with a manual its difference because the power is interrupted and the tires would stop spinning unlike in an auto where the power is constant

DandyMax 09-13-2006 12:53 PM

Personally I wouldn't shift in the middle of a burnout. Pick a gear and stay in it. :)

glenmoormax 09-13-2006 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
You don't sidestep the clutch or anything, you do the exact same thing you would do if you were trying to peel out from a stop sign on the street. At least that's how I do it and how I taught mikeD to do it. For the longest time he couldn't do a successful burnout and finally we figured out it was because he was dumping the clutch in an unnatural way. Just do it like you are on the street and want to spin your tires and leave some black marks or something.

thats a perfect way or describing it, I will try it out, thanks again neal... deals a deal and your holding up to it, Im gonna get my 5-10 bucks outta you sometime, :)

MorpheusZero 09-16-2006 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
second will drag the car more, think about it. the tires are at a higher rate of speed and making more friction because of it. you have to pull the e-brake harder, trust me. i used to get pulled when burning out in first, but then i adjusted the ebrake and pulled it harder.....no more getting pulled

No. The faster your wheels are spinning, the less grip (friction) you have and the less you will be pulled.