1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Hi there! Im Patrick! looking for a maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi there! Im Patrick! looking for a maxima!

I am new here, first day on.

Theres been an 85 maxima wagon sitting on my street corner for sale. Perfect condition, i've seen 2 year old cars in worse condition. There isnt a dent on the car at all.

Theyre asking for 3500. Is this a fair price? what should i offer?

What should i expect from purchasing the car? i see that theres a community which means obviously theres something enjoyable about this car! Im mechanically inclined, and going to go to school for auto tech, so im not fearful of having to fix and maintain the car.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:04 PM

3500 seems a bit high, as far as the engine they will last forever as long as you take care of them, oil changes, timing belt, down side parts can be a bit hard to come by at times but there usually a work around, there is no aftermarket support for them at all.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by vernk
3500 seems a bit high, as far as the engine they will last forever as long as you take care of them, oil changes, timing belt, down side parts can be a bit hard to come by at times but there usually a work around, there is no aftermarket support for them at all.
Coolio
Old 09-03-2017, 07:09 PM

I agree, 3500 is a lot of money but for being in pristine condition, it could be justified however I also have to agree the fact that replacement parts are going to be very difficult for a 32 year old car. I know! Because I worked at part store and with Japanese cars get absolutely get no love on aftermarket support only cars in the Detroit 70's cars kind of sucks.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
I agree, 3500 is a lot of money but for being in pristine condition, it could be justified however I also have to agree the fact that replacement parts are going to be very difficult for a 32 year old car. I know! Because I worked at part store and with Japanese cars get absolutely get no love on aftermarket support only cars in the Detroit 70's cars kind of sucks.
Yeah i think parts will be the biggest problem, but it only has 90k miles so im thinking it was just driven to church for 32 years. So only the easy stuff should need to be replaced, like filters and belts... hopefully. Im going to have a mechanic look over it for sure.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:10 AM

You can still get a fair amount of mechanical parts to keep the car running. Take a look at rockauto.com.

But if you crunch a fender, good luck.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You can still get a fair amount of mechanical parts to keep the car running. Take a look at rockauto.com.

But if you crunch a fender, good luck.
crunching a fender is on my list of donts.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:27 PM

a note on using rockauto, use as a last resort, have had some issues with the parts from them everything from wheel bearings to cv shafts, if you do end up doing cv shafts a couple things take the dust covers off your old ones, the ones that come on most shafts these days have the wrong one and don't fit right.