Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988-19/)
-   -   Looking into possibly getting an Short Throw Shifter (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988/159837-looking-into-possibly-getting-short-throw-shifter.html)

maximase86 05-28-2003 01:42 PM

Looking into possibly getting an Short Throw Shifter

Hey guys,

I've been doing my homework lately. As most of you probably already know, I have a 3rd generation 5-speed in my car (it replaced my original 5-speed that had severe bearing problems). Anyway, I was doing some digging on the shifter. Since the manual transaxle is the same from 1985-about 2001, there maybe a good possibility the the shifter itself is the same for all cars. The shift linkage is definately unique to each generation of course, but when doing a comparison of drawing between the 2nd gen shifter and the 3rd and 4th gen shifter look exactly the same.

So here is my theory, potentially the shifters for the 3rd and 4th should work on the 2nd gens. Since they have short throw ****ers for the 3rd and 4th gens. Then they should probably work. I'm thinking of picking up a short throw shift for a 4th gen and testing my theory. If this works, then we can add to the list of mods for the 2nd gen. :D

S

maximase86 06-05-2003 11:58 AM

A 4th gen STS has been ordered, I'm just waiting for it to arrive. :D I also have my KONI's in. I gotta get pics of what they look like. Can't wait to installed them. :D Big things are coming!

S

maximase86 06-06-2003 08:32 AM

Originally posted by maximase86
A 4th gen STS has been ordered, I'm just waiting for it to arrive. :D I also have my KONI's in. I gotta get pics of what they look like. Can't wait to installed them. :D Big things are coming!

S

Shifter is in, now I just need to get it installed. It sits quite a bit lower, which is nice, but it maybe a tad bit too low. I have to wait until I install it.

S

KALSC 06-21-2003 03:04 PM

Food for thought.

How much did that STS cost you?

Considering that the pivot point isn't changed so the lever portion from the pivot point down stays the same length, all your really changing is how long the shift lever is from the pivot point up to where the knob is, right?

Here's what I did, cut the shift lever down, worked like a charm. Voila, short throw shifter, made a HUGE difference and cost nothing.

Considering how almost all aftermarket shift knobs mount these days, it was a piece of cake. Even the stock knob fit perfectly, still cost nothing.

maximase86 06-21-2003 08:54 PM

The STS cost me about $28 shipped. Basically its a shorter version of what I have. I just need to figure out how to get it out, got any tips? I still need to installed it, but right now, I'm kinda stuck after I get the trim piece off. (I know I need to get under the car to disconnect the bushing and all. Just stuck about getting the ball out.

S

max95q 06-21-2003 11:31 PM

I thought the sts werent just to have a shorter shifter but it also reduces the lengths in shifts making everything more closer together for Quicker shifts.

KALSC 06-22-2003 08:42 AM

Yep.

Max88q,

Basically an STS shortens the travel of the upper portion of the shifter, meaning your hand has to travel less distance when shifting gears, which in turn, with someone who can shift properly, translates into quicker, cleaner shifts.

KALSC

PS - The KALSC stands for Kick A$$ LSC, as in Mark VII LSC.

:D

GundamWZero 06-23-2003 04:29 AM

Hmmm......and I wanted to cut my shifter too...now what about the shift linkage? aren't they shortened too or I wasn't listening again?

maximase86 06-23-2003 02:14 PM

Nope, you don't have to replace the linkage. The only thing you do to that is remove the bolt that attaches it to the old shift and attach it to the new one.

S

GundamWZero 06-24-2003 05:49 AM

like I thought....Should've cut it.

MaxWgn 06-24-2003 07:17 AM

Re: Yep.

Originally posted by KALSC
Max88q,

Basically an STS shortens the travel of the upper portion of the shifter, meaning your hand has to travel less distance when shifting gears, which in turn, with someone who can shift properly, translates into quicker, cleaner shifts.

KALSC

PS - The KALSC stands for Kick A$$ LSC, as in Mark VII LSC.

:D

Actually, there are "Adjustable" STS's available for the 3rd and 4th gens. When you turn it down to shorten the upper portion, it lengthens the lower portion. This changes the leverage on the shifter. By shortening the upper end, and adding to the lower end, the difference will make the shifts feel more positive, with a little more resistance, and feedback from the tranny. These units are also shorter over-all prior to the adjustment, but they do allow you to change the leverage point, which will change, and generally, firms and cleans up, the shifting characteristics and feel of the tranny.

I hope this explains STS's to the masses. I looked into them when I had both my Mustang and my Mazda truck...

maximase86 06-24-2003 08:05 AM

Originally posted by GundamWZero
like I thought....Should've cut it.
Why cut it when you can have one premade....it would seem more half-assed cutting it and rewelding the the threading for it (that's just me anyway). Besides, it's not like it will cost an arm and a leg to buy the shorter one anyway. $28 bucks shipped is a very decent price.