Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988-19/)
-   -   Newbee with a question (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988/207684-newbee-question.html)

creepingdeath 02-05-2004 10:03 PM

Newbee with a question

Hey there gang. Just a little info about my Maxima. I recently bought it about a month ago. It has 240,000 miles. It is a '85 GLX Wagon. Man, I couldn't believe all of the extras this car came with. I put in new plugs, cap, rotor, wires. My sway bar was just hanging, not even connected to the each end of the rear wheel assemblys, so I just removed the whole thing! Now the bad stuff. The major pain-in-the-*** thing right now is when I drive at 60m.p.h. or faster and let off the gas to slow up, the car downshifts to 1st! I have to pull over and stop, shift into park, back to drive then all is well...until I let up off the gas again over 60 m.p.h. UNDER 60 mph, it dosen't do this downshift thing. I'm thinkin' it may be a cable adjustment? Wondering what yall think. Thanks!!

maximase86 02-05-2004 11:45 PM

Well I have my original RSB if you want it. I'll sell it to you for 20 bucks plus shipping. Since I don't have a use for it (got an Addco RSB). As for your tranny, that is wierd....you sure it's downshifting to 1st and not 2nd or 3rd. I mean, the motor will be way past redline if it downshifted that far. Sounds like the tranny may have valve body problems. How is your ATF level.

S

creepingdeath 02-06-2004 02:11 PM

Hmm, maybe it's not 1st gear. Probably is 2nd then. It gets close to redline. I thought I checked the fluid when I bought it, but I'll check it again. Damn, I hope it's not a bad valve body, the last car I got rid of was either a bad torque convertor and/or bad valve body. :hmmph: The car don't drive bad tho. If I drive over 60mph and I need to slow up, If I have the space on the highway, I can gradually lift of the gas till I'm under 60mph then all's good. As far as the RSB, thanks for the offer, but It's not a nessesity right now.

maximase86 02-06-2004 03:07 PM

Have you tried shifting into neutral before letting off, let the car slow and then shift back into drive?

S

trinitykt133 02-06-2004 03:20 PM

it sounds like the lockout converter is staying in the locked position when you let off of the gas. when you let of it is suposed to release so the car will coast. even if it is shifting to 2nd when you let off it isn't supposed to put back pressure on the engine. the converter is supposed to only have pressure when the engine spins faster than the transmition. even if slightly. when the transmition is going faster than the crank the converter is supposed to spin freely. not positive but thats how i was tought an automatic trany worked. one thing you may want to check is the throttle position sensor. i heard the computer uses it to pick up when you let off of the gas so it can unlock the converter. hope this helps
matt

creepingdeath 02-06-2004 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Have you tried shifting into neutral before letting off, let the car slow and then shift back into drive?

S

Yes I have, but when I shift back into gear and accelerate, it slips (acts like its still in neutral). Sometimes if I get the rpm's high enough, I'll feel it slip into gear. Most of the time I have to come to a complete stop. If I cannot slowly get under 60mph, I'll put it into neutral and coast to a stop.

creepingdeath 02-06-2004 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by trinitykt133
it sounds like the lockout converter is staying in the locked position when you let off of the gas. when you let of it is suposed to release so the car will coast. even if it is shifting to 2nd when you let off it isn't supposed to put back pressure on the engine. the converter is supposed to only have pressure when the engine spins faster than the transmition. even if slightly. when the transmition is going faster than the crank the converter is supposed to spin freely. not positive but thats how i was tought an automatic trany worked. one thing you may want to check is the throttle position sensor. i heard the computer uses it to pick up when you let off of the gas so it can unlock the converter. hope this helps
matt

Holy cow, I didn't see your post till I posted mine! :) Sounds like some valuable info there Matt, Thanks! I guess I'll have to take it in somewhere and I'll mention what you said. Thanks again!

trinitykt133 02-06-2004 03:36 PM

you can still keep the idea in mind but
if its slipping when you shift back into drive from neutral that may not be the converter. now im not so sure

creepingdeath 02-06-2004 03:41 PM

Dang, I did find a reciept from Ammco transmissions. About 60,000 miles ago the previous owner had next to $3,000. of tranny work done. I can't imagine to much being wrong with it now, but I guess anything could of happened.

BTW, my MAX... (took pic with my camera phone, kinda crappy)

86Wagon 02-06-2004 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by creepingdeath
Dang, I did find a reciept from Ammco transmissions. About 60,000 miles ago the previous owner had next to $3,000. of tranny work done. I can't imagine to much being wrong with it now, but I guess anything could of happened.

BTW, my MAX... (took pic with my camera phone, kinda crappy)

Looks like my 86 wagon, only mine's brown in color... :o)

86Wagon 02-06-2004 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 86Wagon
Looks like my 86 wagon, only mine's brown in color... :o)

Whoops, wrong smiley there... that should be :D

creepingdeath 02-06-2004 03:53 PM

So, what else can you do with this year range of Maxima? Mods and such. BTW, a little more history about me. My first car was a 1984 Nissan Stanza Hatchback 5 speed. It was my dad's hand-down. Nice car, but I beat the hell out of it. Since then I have only owned american cars. This is my first import since. Currently my pride and joy is a '99 Dodge Intrepid. I am a member of www.dodgeintrepid.net site, my screen name is creepingdeath overthere as well.*don't tell them guys, but I'm thinkin 'bout sellin the 'Trep. Sick of having to make payments* Anyways, I'm new to this board but not new to the way they work.

maximase86 02-10-2004 10:12 PM

I want window tint. :P

S

creepingdeath 02-11-2004 11:24 AM

My tint is that older stuff. Its looks kinda pinkish / maroonish / redish. Its not black.

maximase86 02-11-2004 12:29 PM

Yeah, I'm planning on getting the black tint myself. :D Just need to save up the money to do it.

S

creepingdeath 02-12-2004 12:17 PM

BTW may tranny fluid level is way over the full mark. Would that cause this problem? I'm sure it would cause others.

maximase86 02-12-2004 01:42 PM

Possibly. Are you checking the level correctly though? (Car warmed up and idling in park while checking?).

S

creepingdeath 02-12-2004 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Possibly. Are you checking the level correctly though? (Car warmed up and idling in park while checking?).

S

yes (the rest of this responce is to fill the minimum requirement for posting) :thumbsup: :russ: