Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988-19/)
-   -   Intake options for 2nd Gen. (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988/693974-intake-options-2nd-gen.html)

Echarlie 06-16-2016 01:53 PM

Intake options for 2nd Gen.

New here. GF us buying a 2nd Gen. Today (6 cyl. W/ auto) and I read the 2nd Gen. Mod thread but doesn't list much in the way of intake options.

Are there no CAI / SRI options for this?

vernk 06-16-2016 02:37 PM

welcome to the 2nd gen crowd, ok a handful of people...... well as with almost everything when modding these you will have to find parts from other cars that will work or you can make work, there isn't any just bolt on parts. Once you decide which way you want to go you will have to buy universal parts that you can make work, autozone usually has a bunch of intake tubes and such that work well.

lowpost99 03-22-2017 11:35 AM

I've seen this guy discuss common use of 90-95 Pathfinder upper intakes, but I haven't seen anyone document what they did to it, or tools required etc.

vernk 03-22-2017 02:19 PM

I don't think anyone ever really went though doing one, theoretically it should bolt on but you more then likely will have hood issues and would have to extend MAF wires and maybe throttle cable, reroute crank case vent and vacuum, and change valve covers to the pathfinders or you wouldn't be able to put oil in. It would put your intake in the front passengers side corner and give you some TQ but would lose some HP on the top end. Would be a good option for boosted since you would get the intake away from the back of the engine where you would put the turbo and would be able to hook up close to the intercooler but still would have to do something about the hood....

CMax03 12-18-2017 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by vernk (Post 9142890)
I don't think anyone ever really went though doing one, theoretically it should bolt on but you more then likely will have hood issues and would have to extend MAF wires and maybe throttle cable, reroute crank case vent and vacuum, and change valve covers to the pathfinders or you wouldn't be able to put oil in. It would put your intake in the front passengers side corner and give you some TQ but would lose some HP on the top end. Would be a good option for boosted since you would get the intake away from the back of the engine where you would put the turbo and would be able to hook up close to the intercooler but still would have to do something about the hood....

Easy to do with most of the AIV disabled...Remember these Nissan prefer a SRI so keeping it around 12-16" should give you plenty of room to work with!

FanaticMadMax 12-20-2017 09:11 AM

Not much of an option you got there, since the car is very very old, unless you throw in a KN air filter or a Hybrid Air filter then you'll be good to go.

CMax03 06-14-2018 10:36 PM

Upgrade your fuel rail and injectors to 92-94 VG as well as the injector connectors pigtails EBay $25/set...for the weatherpack later model design! 89-94 VG exhaust system instead of that 2nd Gen design...You'll find that the 2nd and 3rd Gen Chassis are very close in dimensions and design... upgrade Brake hubs and spindles to 5 bolt design and 3rd gen wheels or aftermarket...