Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988-19/)
-   -   For when your ECCS dies (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988/699064-when-your-eccs-dies.html)

vernk 08-22-2017 02:35 PM

For when your ECCS dies

11 Attachment(s)
Well mine went out so I ordered one off ebay and this is what came

Attachment 59548

Attachment 59549

boxed that back up and sent it back right away then I ordered what was a factory reman that one didn't work they sent me another one and that one was bad also

Attachment 59550

so I ordered a expensive sticker

Attachment 59551

should be enough room for the wiring and fuses and every thing else that need to go in

Attachment 59552

added a knock sensor

Attachment 59553

wide band

Attachment 59554

think I have everything worked out for the most part

Attachment 59555

Started on the wiring, got all the grounds in and the pull up resistors for the CPS done

Attachment 59556

Attachment 59557

Attachment 59558

have most of the wiring figured out and have been taking out wires that are not needed like the old O2 sensor and the diagnostic plug on the front of the intake. Will be working on it after work during the week and hope to be able to get her going this weekend.

FanaticMadMax 08-25-2017 07:32 PM

wow that's a lot of corrosion on the circuit board, look like the capacitor have leaked out. That would be expected for a car of that age.

vernk 08-29-2017 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax (Post 9156023)
wow that's a lot of corrosion on the circuit board, look like the capacitor have leaked out. That would be expected for a car of that age.

it came out of NY so think someone pulled it out of a flood car or from the junkyard with a car that the window had been open, but yea it had been wet for a long time....

Hectic 08-30-2017 04:39 AM

Three bad ECMs and a standalone engine management sticker. Not a bad way to spend $10,000.

vernk 08-30-2017 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic (Post 9156342)
Three bad ECMs and a standalone engine management sticker. Not a bad way to spend $10,000.

yea the down side, when I call to have part overnighted from Japan they just laugh at me and tell me it's the 2010s and not the 90s those parts haven't around for 20 years

vernk 09-03-2017 11:03 AM

shes alive

vernk 09-12-2017 04:39 PM

well a little update before I do the full write up, found where she likes her spark, took a little playing but once I found it everything smoothed out, just a couple more days and I should be able to stop auto tune to and from work, then I will be turning on the fuel cut and EGR to get my MPG back up, still have to install relay for idle up and get idle dialed in a bit better but over all running decent.

83maxattack 09-19-2017 09:23 AM

Hey cool stuff man. I have MS3 Pro on my '74 Z project car. How do you like the DiY software or have you tried any other type of Aftermarket ecu?

vernk 09-20-2017 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 83maxattack (Post 9157737)
Hey cool stuff man. I have MS3 Pro on my '74 Z project car. How do you like the DiY software or have you tried any other type of Aftermarket ecu?

I like tuner studio so far, the auto tune has been helpful since I needed my car back on the road ASAP so I just run auto tune on the way to work and on the way home, almost to the point of turning on the EGR and AIV (again) made some changes that messed up my VE table so had to start over, hoping to have it good enough to pass emissions soon. Haven't tried any thing else wasn't really planning on having to deal with tuning stuff till I had my 200sx engine built so kind of got tossed into it quick, but might switch the 200sx to a MS instead of using a factory ECU with UPREV since I would have more options and could use extra out puts for things like intake path switching and have more options then just using rpm switches and well now I'm somewhat familiar with it.

83maxattack 09-20-2017 02:02 PM

Might be a good idea, I've noticed the auto tune does well to get you on the road, but you'll need to actually get in there yourself if you wanna pass emissions i bet. What engine did you get for the 200sx? And is it the 80's rwd or the 90's fwd version? All your pictures are missing.

vernk 09-21-2017 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 83maxattack (Post 9157882)
Might be a good idea, I've noticed the auto tune does well to get you on the road, but you'll need to actually get in there yourself if you wanna pass emissions i bet. What engine did you get for the 200sx? And is it the 80's rwd or the 90's fwd version? All your pictures are missing.

yea just have a couple holes to get dialed in and a lack of being able to run any decent amount of spark advance to get figured out then she should be good

yea need to get on getting pixs back up, well a link to a gallery, it's a 86 S12 with a VQ getting put in.

vernk 11-01-2017 10:39 AM

time for a little update, still up and running, getting the tune down been kind of slow going since I data log on the way to work and then on the way home make small changes, had a small coolant leak on the lower intake from the front, O ring got pinched and would leak right after start up then stop once started to warm up. It wasn't leaking right after I got it back together and running, started a couple weeks after I had it back on the road. Had the time to fix it this last weekend and found that the fel pro intake gaskets were not doing that good of job (couldn't find the nice factory ones) so when I put it back together this time used some sealant.... So now I'm running about 10 deg cooler and a bit smoother although I do have to go back though my tune and lower my warm up enrichment temp and a couple other temp based settings, then finish getting my VE table adjusted.

CMax03 12-18-2017 05:04 PM

Sounds like alot of work...Do you have a way of saving your settings just in case you screw up again? mI would love to tune something like that but a specific base tune is what you need more than anything else...I take my hat off for to you for all the soldering and crimping you had to do....Your wires seem to be really thick or is that the camera playing tricks with he images?