Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988-19/)
-   -   Pilot Bushing (https://maxima.org/forums/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988/702129-pilot-bushing.html)

Starks2010 08-13-2018 12:50 PM

Pilot Bushing

Has anyone installed a pilot bushing into a 2nd generation Maxima? I have a re-manufactured engine installed in my 88' and I am trying to install the manual transmission I got out of my parts car (87' Maxima). I cannot see how it is possible that the pilot bushing I picked up at the dealer fits into the bore in the rear of the engine crankshaft. I've had it in the freezer and all. I have 3 pilot bushings and they are all the same size. Also the pilot bushing will does not fit over the input shaft on the transmission, as a matter if fact it is the same size (pilot busing and the end of the input shaft). Am I missing something here? It looks like the rear of the crankshaft on the parts car engine is different from the rear of the crankshaft on the new engine. It appears the rear of the new engine crankshaft has an extra piece inserted at the face of the rear of the crankshaft where the parts car engine does not. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

CMax03 08-14-2018 08:21 PM

I've checked from Maxima to Pathfinder to Hardbdy with VG30's it's all the same! Do you have a p/n on this part?....maybe you just have the wrong part and from the same store with the wrong info in their computer system!!!! National p/n: PB22; Timken p/n:PB22; Dorman p/n: 690004.... You also need to measure your clutch pilot bushing/bearing.... ID-.699, OD-.814-.815....Also measure and make sure your tranmission input shaft and make sure it's edges are slightly rounded and burr free....As for the Engine are you absolutely positive there's not a bushing in the crankshaft end already? If you're positive make sure the crankshaft end bore is clean, burr free, if so measure the bore as well!

vernk 08-15-2018 05:06 PM

so if you look at the trans you will see that the input shaft doesn't really go into a pilot bushing area on the crank aka there really isn't one, then also if you put some tape across the flywheel and put the trans on you will see that the input shaft only goes in far enough to engage with the clutch

Starks2010 08-15-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03 (Post 9181007)
I've checked from Maxima to Pathfinder to Hardbdy with VG30's it's all the same! Do you have a p/n on this part?....maybe you just have the wrong part and from the same store with the wrong info in their computer system!!!! National p/n: PB22; Timken p/n:PB22; Dorman p/n: 690004.... You also need to measure your clutch pilot bushing/bearing.... ID-.699, OD-.814-.815....Also measure and make sure your tranmission input shaft and make sure it's edges are slightly rounded and burr free....As for the Engine are you absolutely positive there's not a bushing in the crankshaft end already? If you're positive make sure the crankshaft end bore is clean, burr free, if so measure the bore as well!

I found out that the crankshaft is set up for an automatic transmission so there is an extra piece (a ring) in the rear of the crankshaft that a piece on the tip of the torque converter fits into. When I get the ring out I can figure out, the pilot bushing issue should make more sense.

The part number on the dealer bushing is 32202-B950A. Yeah, there is no bushing in there. Thanks for the info.

Starks2010 08-15-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by vernk (Post 9181084)
so if you look at the trans you will see that the input shaft doesn't really go into a pilot bushing area on the crank aka there really isn't one, then also if you put some tape across the flywheel and put the trans on you will see that the input shaft only goes in far enough to engage with the clutch

Now that makes sense. My engine is set up for an automatic so there is an extra ring in the rear if the crankshaft that a tip on the front of the torque converter fits into. Once I get that ring out I should be in business. None of this is mentioned in the Nissan service manual.