Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   high pitch engine sound under accelaration (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/106264-high-pitch-engine-sound-under-accelaration.html)

maximav6power 08-12-2002 11:05 AM

high pitch engine sound under accelaration

When I first start the car and press on the gas I hear a kind of loud high pitch sound which is definetly coming from the front of the engine. It started after the shop fixed my front manifold. I have a 90 max vg engine. Help with possible explanations and solutions

maximav6power 08-12-2002 11:07 AM

the sound is while driving not in park while idiling. After I drive the car for 10 min or so the sound almost goes away except that I always hear the sound ( 10 min of driving or an hour driving)while I am in the speed range of 37 to 46 mph. strange

Maxima_Van_WA 08-12-2002 01:28 PM

turbo?

rbloedow 08-12-2002 02:14 PM

Originally posted by maximav6power
the sound is while driving not in park while idiling. After I drive the car for 10 min or so the sound almost goes away except that I always hear the sound ( 10 min of driving or an hour driving)while I am in the speed range of 37 to 46 mph. strange
I have the same problem........

MONTE 01&97 SE 08-12-2002 03:12 PM

Could be the belts are going bad or the pulley.

N34JZ 08-12-2002 03:24 PM

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
turbo?
mabey SC? :laugh:

mine does it to when im letting the clutch out, I thought it was the belts but my mechanic said they were fine so I guess its the clutch

RosenKen 08-12-2002 03:39 PM

Are all your exhaust manifold studs there? You might have some broken ones. Start the car when it's cold and listen for a putt-putt noise.

N34JZ 08-12-2002 03:41 PM

Originally posted by RosenKen
Are all your exhaust manifold studs there? You might have some broken ones. Start the car when it's cold and listen for a putt-putt noise.
well I know some of mine are broaken, but the ones on my gxe were also and it didnt make any noise like this,

bettonracing 08-12-2002 03:44 PM

Can't give u a definite answer for what this is but try using a funnel or something (as a stethoscope: big part to ear) to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from and maybe I can help u a bit more after that.

nismo-max500 08-12-2002 07:12 PM

those are some hot lookin tires. jk

Originally posted by rbloedow

I have the same problem........

rbloedow 08-12-2002 08:28 PM

Re: those are some hot lookin tires. jk

Originally posted by nismo-max500
Yell yea! Flower power! :)

93max 08-12-2002 10:36 PM

it got something to do with the manifold

like rosenken said.
probably a leak though the gasket.

tilt 08-12-2002 11:19 PM

check your vacuum hoses

maximav6power 08-13-2002 12:35 PM

I think it might be the belt. To fix my front manifold, the mechanic had to take out the ac compressor, thus moving the belt out the way. Do you think that he over tightened something. Tell me what I should look for to adjust. Any help/ideas would be great

max95q 08-13-2002 02:57 PM

I think it might be the belt. To fix my front manifold, the mechanic had to take out the ac compressor, thus moving the belt out the way. Do you think that he over tightened something. Tell me what I should look for to adjust. Any help/ideas would be great
Make sure your tensioner isnt going out. When I started my car at walmart I all of a sudden heard a high pitched sound. Couple of days Later while driving to a junk yard with a friend my Tensioner disentegrated or just basically blew into some whole bunch of pieces. See I had my timing belt replaced but not the Tensioner and I read that Nissan Recommends that happens when changing the Tiing belt. Unfortunately I had to get my engine rebuilt. It sounded like I had a cricket in my engine and it would disappear during certain speeds. Id say be careful have a mechanic check your belts and your tensioner. I was lucky we had a cell phone and his dad had a Trailer and a hitch to bring my car back into town. And just think later on that day I was suppose to go to the lake with my girlfriend and son. Just realized if it happened then. I have no cell phone. So check it please. Youll feel a loss in power and your speed will decrease out of nowhere and then, your car shuts off and your steering wheel locks at 60 miles per hour no power to anything. It was very hard to stop the car. Nobody was hurt luckily there werent any cars on the road when it Happened. So beware check that tensioner.

battleminnow 08-13-2002 05:52 PM

What exactly did they do to the manifold? I know I have broken studs, and I have the same sound since a couple weeks ago. I think they probably either broke studs going in with the new manifold or broke studs while repairing old, etc.

Pete

maximav6power 08-13-2002 09:18 PM

I heard the same cricket high pitch sound that would go away at certain speeds. The sounds you described is what I have right now. I just had the timing belt changed a few months ago but not the tensioner. I never thought about that because the sound occured only after I had my front manifold gasket, bolts, and manifold replaced. There is no exhaust leak and that sound is not an exhaust sound. Is it hard to get to the tensioner to replace or must it be brought to a garage.
thanks for you help you just probably saved me an engine rebuild as well. This org is the best

RosenKen 08-13-2002 10:56 PM

People people people, stop worrying about your tensioners and go out to your car tomorrow morning when the engine is cold. Pop your hood and reach down and feel around your front and rear exhaust manifolds. Be careful though, don't get cut on the heat shielding. The front's easy to get to, the rear is easiest to get from the passenger side (on a VE anyway). Find all SIX studs/nuts holding the manifold on. You can see them on the front, so you'll know what you're looking for. If you only find five (and search hard!), then you probably have an exhaust leak. Once one corner stud breaks, after a few months the gasket will burn away enough to create a small hole. The whistling will occur under engine acceleration or deceleration. Doesn't have to be hard acceleration, any will do. If it sounds like a bird chirping but it goes away under constant power, it's an exhaust leak. You'd have a broken manifold stud. VERY VERY common in both VG and VE engines. Your only bet is to get the broken stud drilled out and tapped. Have fun with that!

GO OUT AND LOOK! Online diagnostics are terribly inaccurate at times.

ocMax 08-14-2002 11:04 AM

Re: high pitch engine sound under accelaration

When I first start the car and press on the gas I hear a kind of loud high pitch sound which is definetly coming from the front of the engine. It started after the shop fixed my front manifold. I have a 90 max vg engine. Help with possible explanations and solutions
when i took my cat off to put on the straight pipe the gaskets were rusted through and untill i got the new ones at certian speeds it would make a whining/whistling noise also. Maybe its the same thing with yours except at the manifold. Its probably just air rushing through making a whistle.